Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Silicone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Silicone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cccougar

Cherry Hill

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,
Looking to touch some areas around the outside corners where the side meets the back of the TT. There are some very small cracks and very small gaps beginning to form and I want to work on sealing that up. I have never done this before. I know there are so many products out there but I do not know where to begin. My friend used a plain old clear silicone on his 5th wheel but I know silicone is tough to clean up if u make a mistake. Thanks for any advice.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't/won't use the old clear silicone for anything anymore. It has come loose of everything that I've used it on that's three years or older.

Go to the nearest RV shop and ask them what they're using.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dicor.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to dicor web site and learn where dicor goes and vertical or horizontal surface. Go to youtube and view many vid's on prep and application. Silicone has only a few spots it's good on rv.

cccougar

Cherry Hill

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Will check out Dicor.

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are other good options, but I use dicor lap sealant for horizontal surfaces (like the roof) because it is designed to settle and spread out a little bit.

On the sides I really like ProFlexRV... it's sticky and stays where you put it.

For seams between surfaces that are out of sight (like a roof) I use Eternabond tape. It's more visible, but it's far more permanent.

Just make sure you have clean surfaces!

I will say that whatever you use, if things are splitting and cracking you will need to stay on it. Check the problem areas twice a year and check everything at least once a year. Visual checks aren't too difficult and preventative maintenance is the best way to keep the water out.

2000 Minnie 31C V10

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Juzaxadar wrote:

There are other good options, but I use dicor lap sealant for horizontal surfaces (like the roof) because it is designed to settle and spread out a little bit.

On the sides I really like ProFlexRV... it's sticky and stays where you put it.

Ditto

And the only place I use Dicor is on the roof.

For other areas I use ProFlex RV from Geocel. Lots of RV factories use it as well, for walls, around windows, etc.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two types of dicor one for horizontal surfaces and one for vertical surfaces.

Proflex is a good caulk for trailers and made for trailers.

OSI Quad can be found at Home Depot and Lowe's and it comes in colors. It is a polyurethane caulk that works well for sealing around doors and windows on houses. It will also work on travel trailers.

mikakuja

Chilliwack BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with what has already been listed above.... Dicor on the Roof, Proflex on the exterior walls, trim etc...

DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!!! It has poor adhesion and UV resistance, it will break down extremely quickly and leak....

If you must use a cheap alternative I would suggest Butyl Gutter Caulk, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. It holds up quite well but will pretty much be there forever. It worked fine on my old hunting rigs, but I probably wouldn't use it on anything that you want to keep looking nice.

mikakuja

Chilliwack BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post.... Deleted...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Silicone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS