Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Visiting NYC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing some early analysis about adding a few days in NYC to our trip to New England next summer. The routes to and from, and the time in NE, is no issue, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to visit NYC with a camper. Are there campgrounds that are suited for such a visit? Are we best to try to find somewhere to park a few hours out for a few nights and stay at a hotel in the city? Any suggestions would be welcome!

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

Doing some early analysis about adding a few days in NYC to our trip to New England next summer. The routes to and from, and the time in NE, is no issue, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to visit NYC with a camper. Are there campgrounds that are suited for such a visit? Are we best to try to find somewhere to park a few hours out for a few nights and stay at a hotel in the city? Any suggestions would be welcome!

In the RV really only one option Liberty Harbor - Post on Liberty.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am driving through the area in a few weeks and the Good Sam trip planner has some good warnings about the roads. Some of the highways, tunnels, and bridges have restrictions around certain size propane tanks.

So make sure you know what size tank is on your trailer and if the road you're going to take has those restrictions. I saw warnings around NYC, Boston, and DC at least.

2000 Minnie 31C V10

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other options are Newburgh KOA which has a bus tour to the city and Croton Park in Croton on Hudson which is within walking distance to the commuter rail.

I wouldn't drive a camper through NYC on a bet. Bad enough in a car.

* This post was edited 07/12/18 03:14pm by jplante4 *

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll echo what Jerry said. We don't take the rig anywhere near NYC. We stay at the West Point FamCamp and take the train into the city. The train ride along the Hudson is beautiful. As retired tourists, we can time our train rides to avoid the commuter rush hours, too. Coming up the east coast heading for New England, we go west of NYC - usually through eastern Pennsylvania, and cross well north of the city before getting back on the main routes.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

esyers

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liberty Harbor is your best bet for seeing the city without spending a couple hours each day on a train or driving in. My opinion, staying in a hotel in the city isn't desirable, due to price, noise, etc. IMHO, take a good look at the convenience of Liberty Harbor.

Then jump onto I-78 back to the Garden State Parkway and head for the Tappan Zee (now Mario Cuomo) Bridge and New England.

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew up in Jersey. Stay outside and take the train. Driving sucks, parking sucks and paying to park is even worse.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a few good articles and a review of visiting New York City and staying at Liberty Harbor - the place you want to stay:

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See my previous thread and posts in Liberty Harbor. Something different if you don’t mind putting your RV in a tight parking lot.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liberty Harbor is probably the best bet all around.

I recently (over Memorial Day weekend) stayed at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, part of Gateway NRA, and had a good time of it. Getting there does involve driving through at least some of the New York street system; from the north, I would suggest I-95 to I-278 to Flatbrush Ave all the way down as doable if not enjoyable. Obviously rush hours are best avoided.

RV camping at Floyd Bennet Field is also more or less a parking lot, with much bigger spaces than Liberty Harbor and no hookups (though there is a dump station). There's a bus to the subway at the entrance to the park as a whole, which is a decent walk or quick drive from the camping area. It's maybe an hour and a half on average to get to midtown Manhattan, depending on how the subway, train, and your schedules all mesh together.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS