cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tow Car

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is all ready set up to tow. The man we bought it from was not the original owner and so could not answer some of our questions. I stopped by a Jeep dealership today and had him look at the set up. (Tried to post pictures but couldnโ€™t.). It has a fast way breakaway installed., blue ox baseplate, and a round 6 point electrical plug in and inside above the brake pedal extra wiring has been inserted to the brake which the technician indicated went to the 6 point plug in. He stated that when the motorhome is connected to the tow car that when the brakes are applied in the MH that an electrical current activated the electric brakes on the tow car.. the electrical plug in from our 2010 Itaska suncruiser is not a round 6 point plug but is oblong. I say all this to ask the question if we changed to a round 6 point plug would that activate the brakes on the tow car or is there more wiring needed to our motorhome? Sorry if this sounds so confusing.
4 REPLIES 4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Some dealers don't know squat about setting up a vehicle for towing. Take it to a rv place that installs towing systems and auxiliary brake systems

"Some"???
I'd say about 99.9999999% of them don't. So, yep, a good piece of advice here would be to take it to a REPUTABLE hitch/RV Service center that does that kind of stuff for a living.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Some dealers don't know squat about setting up a vehicle for towing. Take it to a rv place that installs towing systems and auxiliary brake systems

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to find out which brake system you have (Who made it) SMI, BLUE OX,M&G, etc. Then you will have to figure out which each of the pins in the 6 way plug do. 4 are basic 1 for parking /clearance lights, 1 for ground,1 for left turn/brake light, 1 for right turn/brake light. the other 2 pins on the 6 way plug 1 may be for the braking system, the other for a charge line to the toad battery while towing, or for something else. On mine it's to light a light on the dash when the toad brakes are on.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how it works, but you might want to take a look at this website.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System