Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is This What They Call 'Delamination'?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Pictures of our TT's

> Is This What They Call 'Delamination'?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Looks like those clearance lights are leaking.

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES!

I believe the industry has done us wrong, by offering this type of construction as a viable siding on a camper. Building a siding od a skin coat of "fiberglass" over thin sheet of plywood is not acceptable! This is NOT a fiberglass exterior! Slight moisture or high humidity with a little stress will cause the skin to pop.
I wish I had enough money to start a class action suite against the industry, as my camper has been devalued at least $3,000 due to delamination!

End of rant!

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smooth sided laminate TT have been around for years and will continue to be the leading product. Some mentions work seem to work better than others.

Aluminum sided "stick and tin" is also not going away anytime soon.

Both are viable construction methods.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had one "smooth-sided" TT and 3 aluminum sided TTs, The "smooth-sided" did look pretty and had some delamination issues within 3 years. The other 3 have had no exterior issues and if cleaned/maintained will look like new for many years - but they do look old-fashioned.

Gerry

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

[image]

Hey, looks fine to me! [emoticon]

Our previous 2008 K-Z Spree delaminated on the curb side wall but only in a couple of specific areas, nothing like in this pic. Eventually we traded it in and it was sold almost immediately to someone else who I guess chose to ignore this delamination. Our current Coachmen has filon exterior walls over an aluminum frame and I haven't seen any signs of delamination with it so perhaps the process of assembling these walls is better now.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That front cap is not the same construction as the sidewall on that model/year Keystone and the method is used by many manufacturers other than Keystone. Its a piece of filon glued to what is more or less cardboard. Those type of caps ripple like that mostly because of heat from the sun and humidity trapped in the air space behind them. Plenty of used rigs with that type of front on dealers lots will have the same waves, some worse than others.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

I believe the industry has done us wrong, by offering this type of construction as a viable siding on a camper. Building a siding of a skin coat of "fiberglass" over thin sheet of plywood is not acceptable!

Well, the industry certainly could have done better !

Assuming the manufacturer is using a good quality skin and a good quality adhesive, I believe this type of construction is "acceptable" if there are no leaks ! Fiberglass skin on an aluminum tube and rigid foam frame is probably better but that type of construction costs more and does not work well for "rounded" applications.

Delamination on flat vertical surfaces usually looks like a bulge and will flex when you press on it.

There are better methods of construction, but they cost more ! Look at the boating industry. They have had issues with some coring materials, but if the core stays dry, everything works well. (Foam is not a panacea, especially in an area that is not self draining.)

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fitznj wrote:

I've had one "smooth-sided" TT and 3 aluminum sided TTs, The "smooth-sided" did look pretty and had some delamination issues within 3 years. The other 3 have had no exterior issues and if cleaned/maintained will look like new for many years - but they do look old-fashioned.

Old-fashioned!?!?

Mine looks RETRO!

[image]

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fiberglass nose has come loose from the framing. Delamination is normally on the side walls where they are compressed into a sandwich.
The noses are normally just sheets of fiberglass wrapped around wood framework.
Would I buy this rig, No!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Pictures of our TT's

> Is This What They Call 'Delamination'?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS