Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: residential refrigerator with inverter?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> residential refrigerator with inverter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mike77leprechaun

Ishpeming, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2018 Salem 32BHI it's got a whirlpool residential refrigerator with an inverter. does anyone have a setup like this? how does it work?

Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always have an electric hookup or come up with some way to keep the batteries charged.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever you are not connected to shore power, the INVERTER is using your TT battery to power the fridge. If you are travelling a couple hours from home to a campground, its keeping your reefer cold while you travel, and when you plug in, the CONVERTER recharges the battery.
Doing this is cheaper for the manufacturer, gives you a bigger fridge interior in the same space. but limitsyou on how long you can go without an outside source for recharging your batteries.
You can add solar panels to recharge the batteries and evenyually make the rig self sufficient.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This a very popular configuration on many 5ers !

Hopefully Salem install a quality pure sine wave inverter and at least TWO 6V true deep discharge batteries. I also hope there is some kind of lock on the doors so they can not open when bouncing down the road.

I don't own a rig like that, but to preserve battery power, I would turn the refrigerator off while driving. If the door is not opened it will be fine for 12 hours or more. Power from the tow vehicle will keep the inverter running but will NOT recharge your batteries.

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

household refer and inverter2009
Household refer Class A 2009
residential fridge- boondocking 09
Residential refer Class A 2010
Norcold w resi, class a 2014
resi Feb 2016

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Whenever you are not connected to shore power, the INVERTER is using your TT battery to power the fridge. If you are travelling a couple hours from home to a campground, its keeping your reefer cold while you travel, and when you plug in, the CONVERTER recharges the battery.
Doing this is cheaper for the manufacturer, gives you a bigger fridge interior in the same space. but limitsyou on how long you can go without an outside source for recharging your batteries.
You can add solar panels to recharge the batteries and evenyually make the rig self sufficient.

x2 on this

we bought a 2018 wildwood tt about a year ago. it came with an inverter and probably same fridge as yours.

we plug our 30amp cord into a 110 outlet adapter which is on a 20amp breaker at home.

the inverter charges the 2 12volt deep cycle batteries while plugged in.

we don't dry camp or boondock so 2 12volts deep cycle batteries works fine for us. if we did dry camp i would go with 2 6volt setup

its very nice to have the fridge running a day ahead of leaving home, load the fridge the night before, keeps things nice and cold the whole trip. on longer trips we will stop for lunch, wife will go in and make sandwiches etc.

last summer i tested how long the 2 batteries would run fridge in 95 degree temps.

went 2 days with no other loads on them except parasitic draws (co detector, etc.) and never got below 50 percent charge. best not to draw rechargeable batteries down below 50 percent.

our inverter charges batteries automatically when plugged into shore power regardless if it is turned on. one important note is to always remember to turn inverter on before leaving home or campground for fridge to run. propane fridges are great for boondocking but since we don't, i love the efficiency and size of the new rv residential fridges.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you intend to dry camp you should consider adding to battery capacity and figure out how to recharge those batteries. Solar and large battery bank is a route that some go.

Kevin

mike77leprechaun

Ishpeming, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

IF you intend to dry camp you should consider adding to battery capacity and figure out how to recharge those batteries. Solar and large battery bank is a route that some go.

Yes. the trailer also comes with a solar kit (charge controller, wiring, etc) just have to add the panel and batteries.

mike77leprechaun

Ishpeming, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

x2 on this

we bought a 2018 wildwood tt about a year ago. it came with an inverter and probably same fridge as yours.

we plug our 30amp cord into a 110 outlet adapter which is on a 20amp breaker at home.

the inverter charges the 2 12volt deep cycle batteries while plugged in.

we don't dry camp or boondock so 2 12volts deep cycle batteries works fine for us. if we did dry camp i would go with 2 6volt setup

its very nice to have the fridge running a day ahead of leaving home, load the fridge the night before, keeps things nice and cold the whole trip. on longer trips we will stop for lunch, wife will go in and make sandwiches etc.

last summer i tested how long the 2 batteries would run fridge in 95 degree temps.

went 2 days with no other loads on them except parasitic draws (co detector, etc.) and never got below 50 percent charge. best not to draw rechargeable batteries down below 50 percent.

our inverter charges batteries automatically when plugged into shore power regardless if it is turned on. one important note is to always remember to turn inverter on before leaving home or campground for fridge to run. propane fridges are great for boondocking but since we don't, i love the efficiency and size of the new rv residential fridges.

perfect!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I don't own a rig like that, but to preserve battery power, I would turn the refrigerator off while driving. If the door is not opened it will be fine for 12 hours or more.
This won't work where it is really hot.
AZ @ 115 will cook everything in the fridge pretty fast.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> residential refrigerator with inverter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS