cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keyless door lock

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a keyless door lock on their fifthwheel. Any pros on cons? What brands are you using.
18 REPLIES 18

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Lantley.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVLock here too

Overall very happy. One thing I've noticed is, if you put the 4 digit code in too quickly and hit the lock (or unlock), it doesn't take. So, the audible indication is a great feature to make sure it locked.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have "RVlock" brand it has work pretty well and overall I am satisfied with the unit.
I have had it about 4 years.
My complaint is overall it may not be robust enough. It is not able to handle normal use.
I camp a few times a month. From March thru November. I do not full time. I do not consider my use excessive.
I have had to replace my key pad and the main circuit board. The parts are available and replacing them was not too difficult or expensive.
Customer service to diagnose and ship me the parts was good as well.
Nevertheless I'm not sure these basic components should have failed.
I am a DIY guy. I'm not sure the average guy would want to disassemble the unit and replace internal parts.

I would agree that those components shouldn't have failed considering that the original keyless entry pad we had on the unit we purchased in 2010 just failed this year, eight years later. For the $250 plus RVLock to fail within 4 years is not good. We shall see if improvements have been made. Good to hear that support is good.

I thought the components failed prematurely as well. However It is the customer service and availability of parts that kept me a happy customer.
One thing I learned is to make your 4 digit code a number that does not require you to hit the keypad digit twice. In other words use a sequence where you push the keypad digits only once. Pushing the keypad digit twice wore out that potion of the keypad.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I have "RVlock" brand it has work pretty well and overall I am satisfied with the unit.
My complaint is overall it may not be robust enough. It is not able to handle normal use.
I camp a few times a month. From March thru November. I do not full time. I do not consider my use excessive.
I have had to replace my key pad and the main circuit board. The parts are available and replacing them was not too difficult or expensive.
I am a DIY guy. I'm not sure the average guy would want to disassemble the unit and replace internal parts.

I would agree that those components shouldn't have failed considering that the original keyless entry pad we had on the unit we purchased in 2010 just failed this year, eight years later. For the $250 plus RVLock to fail within 4 years is not good. We shall see if improvements have been made. Good to hear that support is good.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It took me awhile to get used to the loud tone, but when a distance away as in walking away with the dogs, and we can't remember if we locked it, it's nice to have the loud tone.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I also installed a RV Lock unit and quite happy with it. Even with the remote and keypad, I still have the old school key on the key ring.

Once thing we didnโ€™t like was the loud sound when camped so followed Ray of Love your RV by placing duct tape over the speaker. Itโ€™s much quieter and acceptable.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVLock now has an option for single button locking. We like ours. We have had it for over 2 years. Replacement button membrane's are not very expensive. DW was pushing button's with finger nail!!!! They gave storage door locks also. On most
RV brand forums they offer discounts a couple times a year.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
1 question, when you lock the door do you have to use the code or just use the lock button?

You can do one of two things - either 1) enter the code and hit the lock icon, or 2) use the key fob and just hit the lock icon (or unlock icon in either case). This is with the RVLock.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
1 question, when you lock the door do you have to use the code or just use the lock button?

You enter the code and hit the lock icon. Ours came with one and it is really nice. Of course it still has the key option on it but we have yet to use it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

SDM
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
DH installed the RVLock keyless after the factory installed one failed. We love it! It's much easier to use than the original and per DH was easy to install. It comes with a key fob so you can remote lock or unlock it. It does come with a key too for backup use.

As noted above, fitting loose, ours does not. It's firm.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Paul D. wrote:
We have the RV Lock Brand. Absolutely love it!!!!

Pros: easy to install
very convenient, no more keys
key fob works from a distance
tone alert for lock / unlock
back lit at night after touching buttons
Cons: sometimes hangs up in below freezing weather (low bat and stick lube)
fits a little loose, could solve with shim washers but not that bad.

The batteries last us about a year , we camp 3-4 days / week from april to oct.
One of the best accessory purchases I made for the rv. We moved it from our tow behind to the 5er and just swapped out door latches. Check directly at the company web site as they have periodic sales and usually throw in 2 key fobs. www.rvlock.com

This is spot on and has been our experience also. Two thumbs up!
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Keyless touch pad or key use came on my Jayco. Its worked great for over a year on original batteries. Bauer is the brand and you set your own 4 digit code. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3