cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cody WY to Little Big Horn MT (WY Hwy 120?)

kabbro
Explorer
Explorer
Am looking for best route between Cody, WY and Little Bighorn in Montana...google maps lists Hwy 120 north out of Cody...we will be towing a 21' travel trailer with Chev 1500 gas engine....following the route on Google Earth seems to indicate no high passes etc....can't really find any info on whether this route is suitable or towing, doing search here on this site indicates nobody has ever posted re: this. Does anybody have any insights pro or con on this route? Many thanks.
Kenneth A Bromen

22 REPLIES 22

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I did the Beartooth in my Toyota MH also. I had to stop at one point and let the engine cool off. It never got hot but the gauge was about half way up and I didn't want it to go any higher. The Beartooth is definitely one of the hardest climb I have ever encountered. Yes, worse than the Bighorns.

But the views are impressive and shouldn't be missed if anyone is out that way!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did the Beartooth in my Toyota MH also. I had to stop at one point and let the engine cool off. It never got hot but the gauge was about half way up and I didn't want it to go any higher. The Beartooth is definitely one of the hardest climb I have ever encountered. Yes, worse than the Bighorns.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few weeks ago, I pulled my 27' Jay Flight 23RB over the route posted by CloudDriver above. WY-120/MT-72 to US-310 to I-95. It is an easy pull. No major mountains or steep inclines or declines. I was pulling with a F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

kabbro wrote:
Am looking for best route between Cody, WY and Little Bighorn in Montana...google maps lists Hwy 120 north out of Cody...we will be towing a 21' travel trailer with Chev 1500 gas engine....following the route on Google Earth seems to indicate no high passes etc....can't really find any info on whether this route is suitable or towing, doing search here on this site indicates nobody has ever posted re: this. Does anybody have any insights pro or con on this route? Many thanks.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yep, Iโ€™m always up for a challenge! The biggest issue was keeping the engine in the power band. Some people like to drive very slow and others want to pass you!

Iโ€™m sure we could drag our 20K pound 5er over, but Iโ€™d probably make a lot of enemies....especially the wife!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Iโ€™m always up for a challenge! The biggest issue was keeping the engine in the power band. Some people like to drive very slow and others want to pass you!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Those are nothing, take a trip over the Beartooth Mtns. between Redlodge and Cooke City.

Awesome!

Did you tow your current TT in your sig?

Yes. Plenty of pullouts along the way. Some people feel the need to rush. The speed limit is low enough to begin with. Just take your time and it is amazing!

We've been over that route, but just with our TV. We felt that we could tow over it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Those are nothing, take a trip over the Beartooth Mtns. between Redlodge and Cooke City.

Awesome!

Yes. Plenty of pullouts along the way. Some people feel the need to rush. The speed limit is low enough to begin with. Just take your time and it is amazing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Awesome!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, we drove 14 through Shell, up to Burgess Junction and down the other side to Dayton and Ranchester, towing a 27' TT with an F250 and we did just fine. Fast forward years later where we now have an F350 dually and a FW. We took a driving tour up Alt 14 not towing. Definitely is steeper. Would agree with taking 14 and NOT Alt 14 as recommended.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Awesome!

That would be challenging for most rvโ€™s....especially a โ€œgasserโ€! It is beautiful though!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Awesome!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
14A, can be fun. Ck out videos on YouTube. Stop and go to the Medicine Wheel.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have driven Hiway 14A going both ways on numerous occasions with a variety of vehicles and trailers. 14A (not to be confused with 14) is steep and crooked. I have gone over 14A with everything from a Chevy Caprice pulling a 2000 pound pop up to a 6000 pound toyota motorhome with a 4 cyl, 120 hp engine.
If you go up 14A, make sure that you shift down before your rpm's drop, don't wait for the tranny to drop gears. Coming down, keep downshifting to use the engine to keep your speeds down. Come down in at least one gear less than you used going up. If you are using your brakes a lot, slow way down and get things under control. If you don't have a tach, I suggest getting one.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
NandK28 wrote:
Thanks to all who posted info about the routes between Fishing Bridge and Buffalo! I think we will follow CloudDriver's recommendation!!!

You might consider 120 south out of Cody to 431 to 20 to 16 etc. Very little traffic down 120 and virtually none on 431. A very nice country drive.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK