cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try A New Camper Before Buying - Truck Load

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with bringing their truck to an RV dealer and asking to load a camper on their truck to see how it feels? I know this is a wacky request but it got me thinking. We've all gone to the dealer and heard "oh yeah, you've got plenty of truck to haul this camper" or "you've got a 3/4 ton, you'll be fine" (I hear from ALL of them - oh you have a 1 ton, your golden). Just once I'd like to ask them "mind if I load that one up and see how the truck handles?"

I seriously doubt ANY dealer would allow me to do it. Citing insurance prohibitions, liability, wear and tear (of ONE loading/unloading), or whatever excuse (some may be valid). I'd really like to try loading one of these "you'll be golden" weight campers and see how my truck (with rock stock suspension) feels with bounce, sway, sag, etc. I think it's reasonable in these days of $30K-$50K truck campers to be allowed to take a "test drive" before I write the check.

Any thoughts on this? :h
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED
13 REPLIES 13

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch YES I can see that. Friend was selling her MC. Buyer on test drive headed across parking lot ~ ran into a wall ~ fell over and walked off.

"MAYHEM" is one of the few commercials I like. JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's more than I'd expect from any RV dealer.

Think back to that "Allstate/Mayhem" commercial where Mayhem takes a motorcycle for a test drive, gets to the end of the street, dumps it, and takes off running. THAT is what the RV dealership is thinking about when they don't allow test tows/hauls/loads.

You just never know who you're dealing with or what their motivations are. I could see Mayhem taking a camper for a "test drive," hitting the first corner going too fast, rolling the whole works on its side, then running off giggling like a school girl.

But you'll crow indignantly, "I'm RESPONSIBLE! I would never do such a thing!" They don't know you from Adam (or Mayhem) and Mayhem just said the exact same thing before he dumped a brand new camper on its side in the middle of the street.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dls0008
Explorer
Explorer
I talked the dealer into test loading my new Wolf Creek 850 on my F-250 before purchasing it. He wouldn't let me drive it, but I got to see how the truck sat with the weight on it.
2016 F-450 Platinum
2016 Wolf Creek 850

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my lance it was used and from a dealer. I was putting it on a 1/2 ton chevy so weight was a concern. Dealer wouldn't let me drive with it loaded due to a lack of tie downs but he recommended I back under it and put the full weight of the camper on the truck before any paperwork or money exchanged hands. Once we both saw how the truck handled the weight I agreed to pay cash for the happijack system and turnbuckles and then they let me test drive the TC and if I was happy he would take my money for the TC. If I was not happy no sell but I was still out the cash for the happijack and tiedowns.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fraserway in Canada will not let you take the camper off. I have rented from them, a Ford Super Duty with an Adventurer camper. It was a very pleasant experience.

Any truck needs to have proper tiedowns installed before anyone would even consider letting you carry their camper around... Matching a truck and camper can be quite tricky as evidenced by many threads on this very forum. It is not like any camper just fits on any truck...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
Kayteg1 ~~ Is this on YOUR truck Or as a single truck & camper unit ??

Scroll down the TC page, or do a search as the rental topic was pretty recent.
I was surprised that TC rental does exist, but remember few links to companies in Canada that do that.
The Ford/Lance (non-separable combo) rental is different story.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before we bought our first truck camper, I happen to run into the Lance factory rep at the North Hollywood Lance dealer. He let me drive his F250 4x4 SRW with a Lance 990 in the bed. I learned a lot in that 2 mile test drive.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 ~~ Is this on YOUR truck Or as a single truck & camper unit ??

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
They are companies that rent TC and I believe they will not give you BS the salesmen do.
Even on the phone they should give you decent answers about loading.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Money talks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on this?

Used one they are trying to get rid of...maybe-maybe not..New one-I would guess not a chance..

Your best bet is to find one you want, someone else owns, and ask to go for a ride with them to get an idea how it handles.The dealer could give you names...:B

To many do not have a clue how a heavy truck camper handles before buying when a simple ride with someone else can show you alot.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ask and see but I'd bet none of them will do it. I have told people similar when talking about tt. I tell them to rent a uhaul or something with similar weight to what they expect to pull. They may not be able to duplicate the frontal area but it gives them a lot better idea then just listening to lies from someone who has never pulled anything!

My son used a large plastic water tank in the back of his 3/4 truck to see what 2500 lb of FW pin weight would feel like. I sometimes talk to RV sales people just for entertainment. Some of the lies and bs are absolutely outrageous.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Dream On. JM2¢ ~ YMMV