cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check lists

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
In this recent thread, j-d referred to check lists. I've got three: one for taking it out from yard storage, one for when we get to camp, and one for when we're leaving. I made up a Word document, so I can add stuff as needed, and keep refining it (some would say fussing with it) as I figure out sequence and so on. It's two pages (one for the first list, the other for the on-the-road lists). I used one of those plastic sheet protectors for a binder, and put a piece of cardboard in the middle to keep it from sliding down in the driver's side door pocket where it lives.

As a result of a little excitement on our Spring shake-down cruise, when I ran over the brand-new stabilizer the first time we used it, some of the items are highlighted in red.

I can't imagine NOT having one - well, maybe if I were magically 25 years old again, but not in my current state of memory fritz. Although we're reaching the stage of knowing what we need to do (we're down to about ten minutes, moving toward five, to get ready to hit the road), the reminders help.
3 REPLIES 3

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
GWV titan wrote:
can you attach the 3 word documents and share
thanks

Well, I can't figure out how to attach a Word document here; if someone can explain it, I'll do that. It's one document, with a page break between the first group and the others. But, in the meantime, here it is as just a bunch of words:

Leaving Yard Storage

Battery charger (I keep a trickle charger on the motor battery when in storage)
Hood props (I put some scraps of 2x4 under the hood to make a gap that, somehow, magically, discourages rats from pooping on the engine)
Landline
Curtains (I put some of the curtains down to reduce sunshine in the RV)
Windshield cover (sunshine, again)
Fridge doors (which are left propped open when it's in storage, so the fridge doesn't get moldy)
Stuff in bathroom sink (soap dishes and so on are "stored" in the sink when we're moving)
Cabinet doors
Outside grab handle

On Arrival (in camp)

Level
Turn on propane
Turn on fridge (ice from fridge to freezer; we keep a bag of ice in the fridge when on the road, to keep stuff cooler)
Move slider out
Connect to electricity if appropriate
Turn off auto stair retractors, flip out grab handle
Put out entrance mat
Windshield cover
Stabilizer under the back
Laundry rack, if needed
Put out carpet runner (we have a runner that we put down in the center aisle of the RV)

On Departure (from camp)

Remove stabilizer (under back) - this is now red, so I don't run over it again
Remove laundry rack
Check tire pressures, oil, water
Chairs, little table, other stuff around camp
Roll up awning, put away entrance mat
Roll up carpet runner
Latch cabinets
Unplug electrical, plug into generator outlet
Remove waste line
Turn off water pump, hot water heater
Close front skylight
Move in slider
Turn off fridge
Turn off propane
Turn on auto stair retractor, put grab handle in
Drive off leveling blocks and put them away

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got the RVMinders from camping world. After several years, they deteriorated from the sun, so I made my own.

I bought a pack of "slap bracelets" from Amazon and wrote on them. I have "doors, vents and windows", "hookups","chocks", etc.

I slap them on the steering wheel in the clipper and on the grab bar in the SUV for the trailer. I find them easier than a paper list.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

GWV_titan
Explorer
Explorer
can you attach the 3 word documents and share
thanks