cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canvas Replacement

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have refurbished a 1978 Starcraft Starmaster 7 tent trailer. Everything is in pretty good shape but the screens are deteriorating and will have to be replaced.

I can go two ways. One, of course, is to replace all the canvas with new. This will cost close to $1K. The second would be to take the canvas into a pro who deals with boat covers and have them sew in some new screening.

Have any of you done either? Can the screens be replaced? If you replaced the entire canvas, I would love to hear your experiences. Fit, finish, ease of installation and so on?

Thanks
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
6 REPLIES 6

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all of you. Yeah, it might be time to bite the bullet. I Purchased this trailer around 1986 and kept it for 17 years. Our two girls grew up camping in it. About 2 years ago my youngest daughter asked me to be on the lookout for a decent used tent trailer. I went on Craig's List and found our old Starcraft for sale. It was a bit worn down but the canvas was all good except for the screens that are so thin and fragile that they disintegrate if you handle them.

I will start researching. Thanks for the two links.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JohnyWalter wrote:
If it is under warrantee, get them to replace it,

Depending on when purchased in 78, the ever elusive Starcraft 40 year warranty may be expired lol.

I have dealt with Bear Creek Canvas online in the past. Great folks. I would just bite the bullet. If the screen deteriorated from time / UV, the stiching on the tents can not be far behind.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Michael7JT
Explorer
Explorer
Go here https://www.popupparts.com/

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
If it is under warrantee, get them to replace canvas for my trailer, but see if they can order it and then call you when it is in. You need to get what is causing this to happen fixed before they replace it again. Good luck. I had a pin hole get in mine after the warrantee expired and I think I caused it by having something on the pole. A small amount of Goop fixed the hole.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we had a starcraft. At about 10 years old the screen went bad on one end and the zipper for one flap was broken. We took the canvas off that when and took it to a local guy. He did a good job and it worked fine afterwards.