cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking Bacon.................

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I knew cooking bacon would get everyone's attention! I know that many of you are aware of this.....but here goes! If you pre heat your oven to 350 deg.(the thing below the stove top that was used prior to microwaves)and put your bacon in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Turn it once with a pair of tongs after 10-15 minutes or so. The a few more minutes and it's done. No uneven heat or worrying about burning it. Then................the good part. Take the bacon out and crack your eggs into the same skillet and put it back in the oven and your eggs come out so nicely cooked. Again, no uneven cooking or Fry-Crust on the eggs.(my mom liked the fry-crust on eggs, I prefer not.) No........not heart healthy, but we are talking bacon here and the two subjects really can't blend. Since we are seldom hooked up to shore power the oven is the ticket for doing this. Also, I yanked our micro. anyway as we never used it. That made room for important storage...........Coffee!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
44 REPLIES 44

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

I was always leery of the precooked but a friend had some and I thought it had some good uses. Wrapping uncooked food to be cooked being number 1 in my thoughts. Poppers turnout great with the bacon extra crispy and the pepper not over cooked.

Man! Why haven't i thought of making jalapeno poppers while camping! Thanks for the idea!

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I also cook bacon outside so it doesn't smell up the TT and to make my camp neighbors jealous :E

I take my coleman camp stove for outdoor cooking, over 20 years old and still going strong!

I have tried baking bacon before (at home), but always go back to the pan fry method as i can cook it exactly the way I like it.

I have one of those bacon grilling racks (V-shaped ones) i've been meaning to try over fire, but haven't gotten around to it.

Fivetwos
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke thick cut bacon smothered in brown sugar with apple wood and pineapple in the water tray. Nothing like it..
I've never had a 10, but I have had....

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still like the eggs cooked in the bacon fat in the oven.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
We use Costco precooked bacon. Crisps up very fast and most of the grease is already gone. I could have a hundred strips made to perfection before I was able to light the oven and get it hot. OK so that is not really 'cooking' for the purists.

I was always leery of the precooked but a friend had some and I thought it had some good uses. Wrapping uncooked food to be cooked being number 1 in my thoughts. Poppers turnout great with the bacon extra crispy and the pepper not over cooked.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jwilson66
Explorer
Explorer
Blackstone griddle - either the 36" or the 17" depending on what else is being cooked and for how many. Eggs fried in bacon grease are the best!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
magnusfide wrote:

The notes at the bottom give some very good points: You won't have the leftover bacon fat for use in other dishes and the bacon still shrinks.

Bacon fat is one of the benefits of cooking bacon. It's a wonderful seasoning for vegetables and leafy greens. I'm all about multi-tasking foods as well as kitchen gadgets.

X2!!

I grew up with my parents using bacon fat instead of butter to fry up the morning eggs, those are the tastiest eggs you will ever have!

Mom also used bacon fat for a few other vegetable dishes also, adds a lot of flavor..

Mom would even "save" some bacon fat in a jar to make fire starters for the fire place, gob of bacon fat on some paper gets your firewood burning fast.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
The new and improved way to cook bacon no splattering.
I've seen the videos on this and it works! All the cooking shows are raving about it.

I will be trying it out this morning. Will let you know how it goes.:C

Cook Your Bacon in Water for Perfect Texture & No Splattering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guC4Badq2s
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cook-your-bacon-water-for-perfect-texture-no-splattering-0...

The notes at the bottom give some very good points: You won't have the leftover bacon fat for use in other dishes and the bacon still shrinks.

Bacon fat is one of the benefits of cooking bacon. It's a wonderful seasoning for vegetables and leafy greens. I'm all about multi-tasking foods as well as kitchen gadgets.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The new and improved way to cook bacon no splattering.
I've seen the videos on this and it works! All the cooking shows are raving about it.

I will be trying it out this morning. Will let you know how it goes.:C

Cook Your Bacon in Water for Perfect Texture & No Splattering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guC4Badq2s
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cook-your-bacon-water-for-perfect-texture-no-splattering-0...

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Been using the oven for bacon at home for years now. Not camping though.

Tip: save the bacon grease. Next time you have pop corn forget the microwave approach. Get real pop corn and pop it on the stove top using the bacon grease. You will never use the microwave method again.

I'm going to do that! Been awhile since we've had popcorn

Yep, it’s good. Now I use the Orville Redenbacker popper for the microwave. It takes a paper disc in the bottom, add oil (or bacon grease), real kernels. Disc can be reused a few times & bag of replacements can be bought. Best popcorn I think.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Griddle in the garage at home. While camping, griddle outside. I have used George Foreman grill outside and it works too.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
2manytoyz wrote:
I like making the entire campground envious...

Let that smell waft through your nostrils first thing in the morning!

The truth is the wife doesn't want such food cooked indoors due to the mess and lingering odors. Fine with me, I like cooking outdoors, and I LOVE bacon!

ME TOO!!! :c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I like making the entire campground envious...

Let that smell waft through your nostrils first thing in the morning!

The truth is the wife doesn't want such food cooked indoors due to the mess and lingering odors. Fine with me, I like cooking outdoors, and I LOVE bacon!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Costco precooked bacon. Crisps up very fast and most of the grease is already gone. I could have a hundred strips made to perfection before I was able to light the oven and get it hot. OK so that is not really 'cooking' for the purists.