Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maximum tow speed for 6500 lbs Toy Hauler with two axles

Tim_TH
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Going to make a 2000+ miles round trip within 10 days time frame and wondering if there is any problem if I tow 75 mph provided road is flat, traffic is clear and normal wind condition.
65 mph sounded like a norm to most people and I like to hear from seasoned RVers.
Tow vehicle is Titan XD with Cummins 5.0 Turbo.
Thanks.
Tim
58 REPLIES 58

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We just completed our annual trip to a Hamfest, about 400 miles one way.
We always stop in Great Falls for the night, for two reasons: We have kids and grandkids there, and about 4 hours on the road is enough for me in my "senior years".
I drive 60 to 65, and now and then creep up to 70. That is fast enough for me.
"Fuel economy"? In our coach, with the Ford V10, there is no such thing, especially when towing the Jeep! I keep a log book with every fuel stop entered, but I have never bothered to compute the MPG. I know it is terrible!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We got back from our east coast trip 2 weeks ago chicago to New Jersey. Got my best ever mileage of 8.1. I averaged about 70 on the highway. I usually do 67 and get 7.5 and thatโ€™s here in the Midwest.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mnaquaman
Explorer
Explorer
For myself I try to stay around 65MPH. I do this for a couple reasons, 1st it feels right and safe and 2nd Gas Mileage. At the best every 10 mile increase in your speed is equal to a 10% decrease in MPG. When you are only getting 10MPG a 10% decrease adds up in a hurry. I'm on vacation and its not a race. If you want to pull you TT 80MPH go ahead and in fact please get a head of me. Do you really think you are just as safe as the car next to you doing 80?

Just my Opinion, I have seen to many wrecked rigs in my life to drive that fast with a trailer.

Just because you can does not make it a good idea!!!

Happy Camping!!
Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
In reality with stops, etc. what you in reality gain from towing that extra 15mph doesn't really get you that much more IMO. Larry

What? Larry, Larry, Larry come on man. If you drive an 8 hour day that's 120 miles! That's a BUNCH over 2 or 3 weeks on vacation!

Or if you are on a 2 week vacation that's almost 1,700 miles!

And the whole gas fill up thing does not wash. After all, what happen to the "my bladder says I have to stop and not the fuel in my truck" crowd?

Some of you on this thread remind me of this video!Everybody on this thread needs to watch this video to understand MPH!

Bottom line: Don't speed, don't go over the limits of you or your equipment and you will be fine.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
It seems trailer tire issues are incredibly common. In my experience, they just don't do well when loaded close to their max. I like to go up a size or up a load range. Once I get to 30% extra capacity, I haven't had issues. I routinely run 70 mph with no issues. Some trailers come with tires with extra capacity but most do not. My trailer came with the bare minimum in axles, springs, and tires. We go on long trips and are loaded pretty heavy, so I upgraded the axles and tires as well. Even before that I had LRD tires vs. LRC tires and even in all day trips through 100+ temps I never had a problem with the tires at 70 mph even with 65 mph rated Maxxis tires. My current tires are Goodyear Endurance with a higher speed rating, but I still feel better with the extra load capacity. They still run hotter than the rear tires on my Suburban.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LarryJM wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Going to make a 2000+ miles round trip within 10 days time frame and wondering if there is any problem if I tow 75 mph provided road is flat, traffic is clear and normal wind condition.
65 mph sounded like a norm to most people and I like to hear from seasoned RVers.
Thanks.
Tim

My personal experience based on over 40 years and close to 200,000mi towing TTs is that towing much beyond 60 to 65mph is just pushing things too far. I can't point to any facts to support that just my "GUT EXPERIENCE". In reality with stops, etc. what you in reality gain from towing that extra 15mph doesn't really get you that much more IMO.

Larry

Nope, no issue if the truck, trailer and road conditions are sufficient.
I start drinking heavily if I have to drive overly slow....calms the nerves....
10mph avg speed difference over 2000mi is about 6hours of windshield time. That's a whole extra day's drive in some peoples itinerary, half day's drive in others and just plain longer duration watching cornfields go by and bugs hitting the window!

FWIW, I haven't had my drivers license for 40 years yet, but d@mn, it's been 30 now....ouch. From someone who averages around 50k miles a year behind the windshield, 90% of it trucks and half likely towing or hauling something it seems. I don't have the patience to "take my time" when just getting from point A to point B.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

California has a speed limit of 55mph for trailers and towed vehicles.

Depending on the highway, they might allow up to 65mph even at the same posted speed limit of 55. But you don't want to know which is which as the state has the highest fines for traffic violation.

The most important consideration though is safety: for yourself, your family and other people.

California and their stupid split speed limits. Towing 55 all other 65 or 70, I guess that is fine if that was the actual speeds. In realality trucks 60 and cars 80 that big of difference is dangerous. So I avoid CA

I'm sure we will miss you on our beautiful lovely state.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

My personal experience based on over 40 years and close to 200,000mi towing TTs is that towing much beyond 60 to 65mph is just pushing things too far. I can't point to any facts to support that just my "GUT EXPERIENCE". In reality with stops, etc. what you in reality gain from towing that extra 15mph doesn't really get you that much more IMO.

Larry

10mph in a 10 hour driving day adds up to 100 miles. that's almost an hour and a half! and that is figuring in stops.

Read your sig line out loud to yourself and then imagine the average age and point in life of the average member of this forum and you'll realize why it may sound silly to them....
You (and I) have places to be and far busier lives than paw paw and me maw truckin from ArKansas to Casa Grande!
I wonder if I'll tell all the yungins when I get old that they're wasting their time driving faster and it don't take any longer to get there between overly active bladder stops and letting Fifi out of the kennel to take a tinkle and re-upping on the Metamucil?

Doubt it. I seem to be acquiring more horsepower as I age! LoL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

Depending on the highway, they might allow up to 65mph even at the same posted speed limit of 55. But you don't want to know which is which as the state has the highest fines for traffic violation.

The most important consideration though is safety: for yourself, your family and other people.

California and their stupid split speed limits. Towing 55 all other 65 or 70, I guess that is fine if that was the actual speeds. In realality trucks 60 and cars 80 that big of difference is dangerous. So I avoid CA
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

Larry

10mph in a 10 hour driving day adds up to 100 miles. that's almost an hour and a half! and that is figuring in stops.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
campigloo wrote:
I drive 65ish. I look in the rear view to see that piece of junk behind me. Keeps me slowed down.
And I keep mine in excellent mechanical condition.

I assume you are doing that in LA, or states with higher speed limits for trailers.

Do that in CA, Utah, Nevada... and you'll be giving hefty contributions to running their state governments.

No, but maybe I was just lucky. Iโ€™ve driven in all of those states several times and never had a problem. My first trip to CA I entered on I-10. I drove 55 for the first 20 or so miles and got tired of blocking traffic and getting passed by every conceivable type vehicle. I think so long as youโ€™re not getting crazy aggressive or insanely over the speed limit they really donโ€™t care. They just want you to be a safe driver.

I agree
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
campigloo wrote:
I drive 65ish. I look in the rear view to see that piece of junk behind me. Keeps me slowed down.
And I keep mine in excellent mechanical condition.

I assume you are doing that in LA, or states with higher speed limits for trailers.

Do that in CA, Utah, Nevada... and you'll be giving hefty contributions to running their state governments.

No, but maybe I was just lucky. Iโ€™ve driven in all of those states several times and never had a problem. My first trip to CA I entered on I-10. I drove 55 for the first 20 or so miles and got tired of blocking traffic and getting passed by every conceivable type vehicle. I think so long as youโ€™re not getting crazy aggressive or insanely over the speed limit they really donโ€™t care. They just want you to be a safe driver.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
Tim TH wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Tim

Very true as to the Calif speed limit of 55 mph when towing. I've never seen it enforced though. I usually go 63-65 in Calif and have never had a CHP officer even look at me. As long as you going with the flow of traffic you won't have a problem IMO. Start passing everybody and you will.

I have a friend who is a CHP officer and he said he never looks to enforce the 55 mph towing limit so long as you are not grossly speeding. He said the big thing they're looking for now in Calif is "aggressive driving" and talking on cell phones.

Got one too that CHP guidelines to their enforcers is 10 mph above speed limits.

For cars in SoCal, while posted is 65 mph, you still off the hook at 80 mph as long as you don't weave in and out of your lane.