Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: First Dry Camping Experience
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First Dry Camping Experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

kirkl, I don't know anything about 6 volt batteries (other than the fact that some of the most knowledgeable RVers have them). Does it hurt them to get down below a half charge, the way it does for an ordinary 12 volt??

Ya know, im not sure, ive ran 6 volts for along time and usually dont get them down to 1/3 but the few times I have i have never had an issue with the batteries lasting for years.

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
1999 Northland 8ft Camper
Honda 2000 Generator

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

kirkl, I don't know anything about 6 volt batteries (other than the fact that some of the most knowledgeable RVers have them). Does it hurt them to get down below a half charge, the way it does for an ordinary 12 volt??

Nothing wrong with a pair of 6 volt GC-2s for a trailer, 20 HR rated on average for about 220 AH but reality is a lot of those who run them do so because they've been told it's "better" but really have no idea why. [emoticon] The fact is a pair of 12 volt G31s wired in parallel will also be 20 HR rated about the same. Some would argue the 12 volts aren't "true" deep cycle batteries but at some point that's more semantics than anything else as to what "deep cycle" really means, especially to the average user, not the purist. East Penn is the largest US manufacturer of batteries and makes a fine series of DEKA "deep cycle" batteries in both 6 volt and 12 volt variations which will work just fine in an RV application. I've got a G31 AGM variation myself, if I were much more of a dry camper I'd have two but as it is I can still run my 1000 watt PSW inverter with this battery as long as I'm reasonable about it. Regardless of what battery you're running, the less it's depleted the longer it will last - 50% depletion (about 12.1 volts) has always been the de facto recommended maximum depletion you should regularly run the battery down to. Infrequent depletion deeper than that is OK but you don't want to do it on a regular basis and you do want to recharge the battery as soon as is practical - i.e. don't let it sit like that for a week. [emoticon] 6 volt or 12 volt - it's your choice, each has it's advantages but also it's disadvantages.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/18 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

That is forgoing some of the creature comforts.
Not in my world.
You would be amazed at how we live while boondocking.
That is probably why we never tire of the trip.
Many after a few days get restless an =d want to go back to civilization. We dread it.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/18 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntingdog, you are so right --silence and privacy are the greatest luxuries of all.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

poriggity

Reno, Nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/18 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we don't currently have a TT, as we are not picking it up until later this month, I feel I can offer some suggestions on keeping your battery charged. I currently run a 2004 dodge 2500 with a roof top tent setup. I have a dedicated 12V plug ran to the bed of my truck to power my ARB fridge freezer, and all we do is boondock camping. In order to stop the fridge from draining my batteries on the truck, I invested a couple hundred bucks in a 100W solar folding "suitcase". The panel unfolds and uses alligator clips to connect to my auxillary battery, which is the battery that the plug for the fridge is wired to. Works great for boondocking. The only issue I have with it is you do have to move the panel a few times a day in order to get the best sunlight to it, in order to get the best charge. That being said, once we get our TT, we will be carrying the solar panel with us for boondocking, for sure.

[image]

Scott

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, Long bed quad cab, 315x70x17 Falken AT3W, Timbren SES

No RV at the moment, but in a couple weeks will be the proud owners of a new 2019 No Boundaries 19.5 TT.

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We very regularly dry camp for 3 nights at a time with 2 typical 12V batteries on our rig. This includes running the furnace at night and in the mornings (down to the 40's overnight). The water pump gets normal use, including 4 showers.

The only time we had big issues was when one battery cell went bad and we truly *needed* to run our genny during the day to get us through to the next morning.

With the year of your TT, I suspect you have LED bulbs. If not, make that change. Also I have lights in my basement that can be accidentally tripped, and that would increase my battery drain (and not be noticed for hours/days). I've also accidentally left my porch light on by mistake.

Good luck on the troubleshooting, it's worth it to get the bugs worked out.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First Dry Camping Experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.