cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About to become a reality

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
Been a thought for about 12 years, a plan for the last 8, a member here for the last few years and in just less then 45 days becomes a reality. A couple signed on our house yesterday, financing should be done in 30-45 days, and 30 days to be out......and it begins. We have thought it through, paid attention to most of the information here, and this morning am having the holy whaa, did we just screw up or what moment.

So......the first bit of advice we considered was size.......I really wanted to go less then 40', my wife wanted bigger then 40'.....been a debate for a while, thought I had her convinced, then we settled on a 2018 Fuzion 424 at just over 43 feet and close to 16,000 pounds. My argument was, able to put it in places and able to tow it with our Dodge 2500 HD......her argument was feeling cramped......we both liked the side deck......traded the 2500 in for a 3500 dually. Now it's just shopping time.....was hoping to find a used one, but having no luck

Second bit of advice, Exit Plan, we are not rich by any means, pretty much your standard middle class, mostly working to survive with a few thousand in savings.......selling the house puts us in the Fuzion and the Dodge with everything paid off.........we'll have no bills other then the stuff your stuck with, tags, insurance, living costs, etc. We will start of with a pretty good chunk of savings and my intention is to work for another few months to a year, depending on how I feel and stacking whatever extra we can on top of savings. Our exit plan is that if we have to bail, either permanent park the TH, or sell everything and have the ability to buy a moderate home. We also both have life insurance, if one has to bail because of a death.

Third bit of advice...........fulltiming is not free..........we are fortunate with a retirement that pays for medical coverage and leaves around 3,500 monthlyfor surviving. I have been researching work camping and plan to work at a part time (very part time) job when possible and we are both pretty frugal. We have been researching the various ways to stay a night cheap while on our way to a destination, Walmart and such, and both are fine with boondocking, when possible.

The only downside is while I expect we will be fully loaded in September, can't start a journey till most likely mid January, and will most likely be stationary till spring......we are in SW Michigan.....but will use that time to practice, work out the bugs and get ready.

Things I still have to figure out.........my wife likes TV, so I am thinking we have Verizon we can use as a hotspot (I think) and mirror to the TV or use the inserts on the TV that gives access to HULU, Net Flicks and whatever...........or I just go with something like Direct t TV and use the dish............still thinking.

Prescriptions.......just change to Walmart, they are everywhere.....carry our medical stuff digitally....still figuring.

Solar..........I know I can go attached panels, but it sure seems simple to spend a couple hundred dollars on a decent portable solar briefcase and charge things that way.

Info while traveling.......I have found the websites that list Walmarts, Truckstops, Wineries, reserve America....I think we will be limited on some places because of size.............still need website stuff.

Employment.....I know there is working camping that can cuts living costs, and I have other interests and opportunities....going to cut bait on a fishing charter in Oregon, help with horseback trips in Wyoming and such, but I would like to figure out something I can do a few hours a day from my couch........wishful thinking.......but going to check anyway.

Residency.......I have family in Northern Texas, so once we are mobile we plan to transfer everything to Texas, leave a stack of prepaid envelopes and occasionally have them forward mail.

So there you have it...........our plan......if I am missing something, got something wrong or you have any input, please chime in as many of you are partially responsible.
18 REPLIES 18

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Just a couple quick things.... Yes, 40' will fit in public parks but it gets iffy with anything bigger. If you want to stay in public parks - national/state forest campgrounds, state parks, etc. don't concentrate so much on the side deck. These types of parks have trees which can't be moved to accommodate your deck; many times an awning won't work. We purposely bought our 40' MH with only 2 slides and they both had to be on the same side so it would be easier to fit inbetween trees. Public parks are our first choice.

A 40' MH and a small towed vehicle (Jeep in our case) is much easier to park on a given site than a 40' 5th wheel and big truck.

We full-timed 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel and 8 years in a 40' MH and traveled constantly, including Alaska. We were very comfortable in both so size doesn't always matter. The reason we switched to a MH was because friends got us interested in Jeeping which gave us awesome fun in the West. We also hated driving the big truck around to sitesee.

Also, if you plan to do a lot of dry camping and boondocking (not parking lots) then forget about an all-electric RV and washer/dryer.

Exit plan: definitely keep the money from the sale of your home as your exit plan.

Can't help with t.v. issues - we didn't watch it.

Volunteering is a good cost-saver; we've done it. However, I hope that wouldn't be your only reason for volunteering. You'll get more out of it otherwise.

SW Michigan get snow and cold... we've lived there. It would be rough in winter. Consider renting a small apt. if you need to be there. Then pack up the RV in spring and take off for your adventure. Propane and site rental will probably even out an apt.

Aside from being a good cost savings, I think we would enjoy volunteering....thank you for your input on size as well. Hoping to put things together and am able to head south in Mid November, but we will see. If weather starts to get too rough I have family in northern Texas. We'll make a trip south, set the TH up there and I will fly back and crash on a buddies couch for a month or two.

Thankfully we agreed on fridge that runs Gas/Electric. Thank you for your input.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple quick things.... Yes, 40' will fit in public parks but it gets iffy with anything bigger. If you want to stay in public parks - national/state forest campgrounds, state parks, etc. don't concentrate so much on the side deck. These types of parks have trees which can't be moved to accommodate your deck; many times an awning won't work. We purposely bought our 40' MH with only 2 slides and they both had to be on the same side so it would be easier to fit inbetween trees. Public parks are our first choice.

A 40' MH and a small towed vehicle (Jeep in our case) is much easier to park on a given site than a 40' 5th wheel and big truck.

We full-timed 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel and 8 years in a 40' MH and traveled constantly, including Alaska. We were very comfortable in both so size doesn't always matter. The reason we switched to a MH was because friends got us interested in Jeeping which gave us awesome fun in the West. We also hated driving the big truck around to sitesee.

Also, if you plan to do a lot of dry camping and boondocking (not parking lots) then forget about an all-electric RV and washer/dryer.

Exit plan: definitely keep the money from the sale of your home as your exit plan.

Can't help with t.v. issues - we didn't watch it.

Volunteering is a good cost-saver; we've done it. However, I hope that wouldn't be your only reason for volunteering. You'll get more out of it otherwise.

SW Michigan get snow and cold... we've lived there. It would be rough in winter. Consider renting a small apt. if you need to be there. Then pack up the RV in spring and take off for your adventure. Propane and site rental will probably even out an apt.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you loud and clear Alaska, and it's a discussion I have been having with my wife for over a year and honestly I lost. I really wanted smaller and she just wouldn't budge.....we have agreed that length will effect a lot of places where we can't park.

While we have limited experience RVing, we have spend the last 15 years traveling, the last 8 cross country on motorcycles, then added the challenge of doing it with two dogs. We are pretty versatile and I am hoping that makes up for the difficulty of going large.

I truly do apprecaiate your thoughts and we've already rounded the corner on the 3500 HD, but I do hope to count on your advice, especially with your experience as we muddle through this.

Writer......good point and our insurance is national......thankfully.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Does your retirement health insurance have a nationwide network?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
2PawsRiver wrote:
Great information.....added the websites and will call Verizon to start prepping for the change.

Stickman.......you're traveling in a 38 footer, any thoughts about problems we will encounter in a 43 footer......also voluntering would be great for us. I'm not looking to make money, just spend less....would the 43 footer have any impact on that and is there a website that you use for info on volunteering.

Kerrlakeloo....not sure how much looking you've done, but there a several different steps available on the 5ers, some are definately more stable then others.

Was referring to the steps inside the unit.

alaska315
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime in a 31 foot 5er for a number of reasons. We are primarily boondockers and prefer that lifestyle and the 31 footer fills that bill perfectly.You will find that if you ever want to use natl forest or natl parks for camping, that 40 plus footer is going to have an extremely hard time fitting into their campsites that were configured long before even 30 footers were around. In fact many if not most will tell you 30 foot is the limit yet time after time we do see 34 footers squeeze in. All in all that long rig is going to pose more problems than you might think, unless of course your wealthy and can afford to stay in a campground every night.
Not trying to be negative, but just stating what I see as an issue based on your post of needing to work camp or work while traveling because of savings.
Why not try a shorter rig and keep the 2500 to pull it with and if you still think a year down the road you need the big dually and the 40 plus footer and can afford them and it will fit where your prefer to go, then fine. By the way, we use a 2500 Dodge HD to pull our rig.
Even doing volunteer work, your going to run into length issues.
It just sounds again based on your savings and desires your biting off way more than need to try chewing on so early into fulltiming and that alone might very well spoil what could be a very wonderful life for you folks.
And we haven't even discussed the added fuel costs, the 40 plus footer probably has a washer dryer too, which you need full hookups or one heck of a water source to use and I'll bet it has that house sized fridge you are not going to operate on a few hundred watts of solar setting on the ground.
If I was looking you in the eye with my experience and I think most others will agree, I would literally beg you to go smaller to insure your happiness.
Best to you folks and your dreams.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
2PawsRiver wrote:
Great information.....added the websites and will call Verizon to start prepping for the change.

Stickman.......you're traveling in a 38 footer, any thoughts about problems we will encounter in a 43 footer......also voluntering would be great for us. I'm not looking to make money, just spend less....would the 43 footer have any impact on that and is there a website that you use for info on volunteering.

Kerrlakeloo....not sure how much looking you've done, but there a several different steps available on the 5ers, some are definately more stable then others.

We've only run into two locations that were tight getting into these were not the sites but the roads into and one was not that difficult because they closed the road for us. The other the exit to the highway was steep and transitioning caused scraping on the rear. No big deal with the previous 5er we had but wouldn't return with our present 38ft although their were others that did with longer 5ers and MHs. The one they closed the road for us is one of our favorite volunteer jobs we did it two summers and have to say it has been the highlight of our volunteer opportunities.

www.volenteer.gov
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The only two issues I see are
1. RVing in January in Michigan is a challenge for an experienced Rver, and for the inexperienced approaches impossible. I would rethink that one. Possibly an extended stay facility and winterize and park the Rv is a better option.
2. I understood part of your exit plan includes selling the RV and truck if necessary and using that money to buy a modest house. RVs depreciate like a rock in water, and trucks not far behind. You may find yourself with just enough money to pay a deposit on an apartment!

Thank you for your input.....we are in SW Michigan, winters have been pretty mild. If it looks like it's going to be rough, I'll take the TH and wife and drop them both in Texas with family, fly back up and crash on a friends couch till she can come back.

I agree on the depreciation issues, we won't be dependent on them for our exit plan, just a little padding.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The only two issues I see are
1. RVing in January in Michigan is a challenge for an experienced Rver, and for the inexperienced approaches impossible. I would rethink that one. Possibly an extended stay facility and winterize and park the Rv is a better option.
2. I understood part of your exit plan includes selling the RV and truck if necessary and using that money to buy a modest house. RVs depreciate like a rock in water, and trucks not far behind. You may find yourself with just enough money to pay a deposit on an apartment!

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
2PawsRiver wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Michigan in January is not a spot I would want to be in.
If possible you may want to move south earlier, and if you must return in January do so with just the truck, or fly in for a while.
On the money side, I sure hope you are overthinking/worrying this. I am in a similar position, we have two prospects currently working at arranging financing on our house. We will hit the road with an all new rig smaller than yours, but only about $2600 a month in retirement income, but with a larger nestegg. Were hoping to travel extensively the first couple years, then settle into a more modest set of moves.

My retirement will keep me here till pretty much January.....just curious did you go with a fifth wheel or other. Are you doing anything about having cable internet, etc.

Still waffeling. M'lady prefers the 5th wheels, she likes the Montana's in a 35 foot range.
Because of her leg problems, I would rather go Class A so she can reduce the up and down steps some. So, we will no doubt end up in a new truck and 5er. ๐Ÿ™‚
Internet we have switched to straight talk for a phone line. $55 a month with unl talk and text and 60 gigs of data. We have satellite internet at home, but that has been running us $70 a month for 12 gigs at high speed and throtteled after that. So were trying the straight talk now.
Did have 2 lines total wireless which was $60 a month with only 15 gigs of data and that seemed to work well so am assuming this will as well.
Oh for tv we download a lot of netflix or Amazon prime videos when we stop at a restaurant or library for watching later.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
There is a website that we use "freecampsites.net" some are free one night or $5-10 might only be half dozen spaces some are county fairgrounds others small towns. Usally on the roads less traveled not the Interstates. Many are only for smaller rigs but we find enough for our 38ft 5er.

If you or the DW are 62 make sure you get your senior pass good for 1/2 price camping at NPs, USACE, USFS, BLM, USFWS.

Volunteering is also a way to cut exspenses. We volunteer 6-7 months a year. We only take volunteer positions that require 24hrs per person though we sometimes work more if it's a real enjoyable job. It still gives us 4 days a week to explore the area.

Another benefit of volunteering besides the provided campsite is that your biggest exspense of fuel is reduced.

If you don't mind walking "Amazon Camperforce" can put a good chunck of change in your pocket for 8-10 weeks of work pre Christmas. Besides the $'s they provide the campsite.

Dish for RVs may work better than Direct if you go with Sat TV. You pay by the month if you don't pay they shut it off. Want to start it up just pay for that month. Hot spot usage is paid for by the gigabite unless you have and unlimited acc and even then they usally throttle back your speed after so many gigs, so not necessarily the best bet for TV.

Verizon internet is your best bet or has been for national coverage. As we're happy with it the last eight years we have not checked the latest plans. I have a seperate Consumer Cellular phone for those rare spots without Verizon.

Good luck, see ya on the road.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
With no debt, your monthly budget should be more than adequate unless you move daily and pay daily rates everywhere. For websites and finding campgrounds, we use rvparkreviews.com a lot, also freecampsites.com and allstays.com and campendium.com. The last 3 sites will give you boondocking locations and small city/county parks, corp of engineer and forestry parks etc. They are quite helpful. We pull a utility trailer behind so overall length is 48' and then I drive our Jeep. We have never left a campground because we couldn't fit into any site. We also fill with gas a regular gas stations all the time. Use google satelite view/streetview to check access after using gas buddy to locate best prices along our route. Walmart - we have done that a few times. We prefer small cities and never stay at a Walmart in a large city. Usually quieter and not right next to an interstate. Feels safer too.

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Michigan in January is not a spot I would want to be in.
If possible you may want to move south earlier, and if you must return in January do so with just the truck, or fly in for a while.
On the money side, I sure hope you are overthinking/worrying this. I am in a similar position, we have two prospects currently working at arranging financing on our house. We will hit the road with an all new rig smaller than yours, but only about $2600 a month in retirement income, but with a larger nestegg. Were hoping to travel extensively the first couple years, then settle into a more modest set of moves.

My retirement will keep me here till pretty much January.....just curious did you go with a fifth wheel or other. Are you doing anything about having cable internet, etc.