cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford's ultimate trailer tow package

RichnYvonne
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I'm looking to trade in my current truck and I'm wondering if Ford's Ultimate Tow package with the backup camera assist is worth the extra money or not. Does anyone have this option and do you like it?
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Long Bed
Blue OX WDH
14 REPLIES 14

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
The camera package was an essential element of our new truck order. My only disappointment is that the add on trailer camera will not work when rolling forward. We want to know what is coming up behind us and what is in our blind spot directly behind us. I have be unpleasantly surprised to learn that vehicles were lurking there. "Is someone back there?" Often we can't tell.
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I got my 2011 GMC, I thought the backup camera was nice, but the small picture in the rear view mirror is just too small (I did not get the fancy entertainment package that included 5" video used for backup camera and navigation).

My wife's Tahoe (we bought used) came with larger video screen and is very nice for seeing behind vehicle when backing up.. I almost swapped my truck system to one like her Tahoe, but the cost is higher than I am willing to pay.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Ultimate trailer tow package on my 2018 Super duty. The truck has 7 total cameras if you opt for the customer mounted camera on the back of the trailer. There are 5 cameras with various views around the truck as you mentioned, and one high mount behind the rear view that I believe is for the lane departure or auto high beams or some other feature.

I'm glad I opted for the feature, it's pretty helpful, especially when negotiating in tight spaces.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Ultimate tow package is for the Superduty trucks and has 5 cameras. The F150 has the 360* camera system, but not for towing. The two share the same 4 cameras, front rear and doors, but the Ultimate package has a 5th camera pointing down into the bed for 5th wheel/gooseneck hitching.

"Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System includes Rear View Camera, 360 degree camera system*, rear CHMSL camera, trailer reverse guidance, and LED center high-mounted stop lamp. Display in center stack screen. Standard in Super Dutyยฎ Limited. Available for all other Super Duty models.

Requires SYNCยฎ 3.
*Camera does not operate when vehicle exceeds forward speed of 10 kilometers per hour."

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
A good camera is nice but a good integrated brake controller, towing mirrors, and transmission is essential.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the camera is a great thing.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RichnYvonne wrote:
Thanks Bobbo. Sorry about the wording. What you have is what I'm looking at. My TT is 26.5 ft. from tongue to bumper. In your opinion, I really wouldn't need the Pro backup assist package. But I will indeed get the Max Tow package.

Correct.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2011 F150 with the factory tow package, 3.5 ecoboost, and select shift transmission. When I bought the truck (used) I did not know that all of this would be handy for towing. Going through the eastern US towing our new travel trailer I got acquainted with the advantages of having a properly set up tow vehicle. When I eventually replace this truck, I will be getting the same setup on the next truck.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
I'm convinced after seeing it in action. Im ordering it on our new Lariat.
Regards
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another counterintuitive RV fact...the longer the TT, the easier to backup.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Way back when I bought my 2000 F-150, the towing package consists mainly of a set of relays which plugged in to the relay box, nothing more. I think it was $100 then.

A lot has changed since 2000, Ford's maximum tow package is an entirely different animal than what you're talking about. As far as a camera is concerned it's invaluable IMO for hitching up, regardless of what vehicle is used for towing - wouldn't be without it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Way back when I bought my 2000 F-150, the towing package consists mainly of a set of relays which plugged in to the relay box, nothing more. I think it was $100 then.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RichnYvonne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bobbo. Sorry about the wording. What you have is what I'm looking at. My TT is 26.5 ft. from tongue to bumper. In your opinion, I really wouldn't need the Pro backup assist package. But I will indeed get the Max Tow package.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Long Bed
Blue OX WDH

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never heard of "Ford's Ultimate Tow package with the backup camera assist," but I do have an F-150 with the Max Tow Package, and I have the backup camera and Pro Trailer Backup Assist. I don't plan to ever be without the backup camera again. If I am planning to tow, I don't plan to be without the Max Tow Package again. The Pro Trailer Backup Assist is not necessary with my 24' long TT, it is easier without, but it is absolutely essential when towing my 6' utility trailer. I can't even SEE the utility trailer from the driver's seat.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB