cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold external fan control

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 10 cu/ft Norcold in my TT. The first time we took it out (nearly a year ago) the fan in the back of the fridge ran almost continuously even though it wasn't that hot out.
I have not heard it run since! Not even this last weekend when it was 102 outside. The fridge did maintain its temp fine though.

There's 12V coming out of the module in back to power the fan but it appears to have a sensor attached to a fin at the top of the cooling unit in series with the fan. I assume the sensor is not telling it to come on (can't get to it or the fan to check power).

Wouldn't you think the fridge would be working hard enough that the fan should come on?

I thought I had read that the fan comes on at anything above 70 (?) degrees?

BTW, fan kit looks like Norcold p/n 619020.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
6 REPLIES 6

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the link OB!

And it's just as I suspected, installation dims are all way off.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
N1095 Installation Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all - OB thanks for the stat specs.
Just ordered an APR system with fan control. Hopefully the fan is still good so the APR can become the controller for it.

I plan on going over the installation in the process. There's a large open area over the top of the fridge that I suspect is open to the back. Also seems like the fridge is a bit far from the back wall.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
12V DC goes to the thermostat on the condenser fin.
When condenser fin temp reaches 130*F it closes sending 12V DC to fans

When condenser fin temp drops below 115*F the thermostat opens

Via Roof top vent you should be able to reach thermostat
Fans---you will have to pull fridge out several inches

Lot easier to 'retire' in place and install NEW fans/thermostat via roof vent up higher.
As long as fans PULL air in lower vent they will enhance the natural draft.

Provided RV MFG bothered to install fridge following the Norcold recommended clearances, baffles if needed and no dead air spaces
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
The fan should come on at about 100 degrees.

The sensor attached to the condensor is a thermostat.

The heat from the frig even with 60 degree ambient temps should turn the fan on after a while of being on.

I've had two of the fans go bad. If you bypass the thermostat your fan should run. If the fan runs when bypassed, it's a bad thermostat.

Another way to troubleshoot, if it's 102 ambient, you should be able to measure 12V on both sides of the thermostat.
Joe & Evelyn

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Those little sensors on the top of the coils are notorious for failing. They are only about $12. Replace it.