Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Finding Under Cabinet Microwave

PDX1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi -

Newbie here. I'm looking for a 1000w (or slightly smaller) microwave that can be mounted under the cabinet above my sink. I'd appreciate your recommendations / suggestions.
9 REPLIES 9

PDX1953
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Are you replacing an existing microwave, or adding one? If you're replacing one, then the cabinet is already built to handle the weight, and the microwave is most likely a standard under-cabinet unit so you can get pretty much ANY brand that is listed as an under-cabinet model - just be aware of how they are vented.

On the other hand, if you're adding a new one you'll most likely have to reinforce the cabinet to carry the weight, and maybe even reinforce the cabinet's connection to the wall/ceiling. Then you'll have to add a new power outlet and run some romex back to your power panel - most microwaves will be connected to a dedicated 15A circuit breaker - while they CAN be plugged in to an existing outlet if anything else is running off that line you'll be popping the breaker.

I'm adding one to a custom mini toy hauler (12' x 7') and bought brackets that mount to the wall. If I can't find 2 studs in the right place I'll bridge them with a piece if 1" x 3" oak trim I have laying around. The stove will only be used with shore power or via my genset.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Are you replacing an existing microwave, or adding one? If you're replacing one, then the cabinet is already built to handle the weight, and the microwave is most likely a standard under-cabinet unit so you can get pretty much ANY brand that is listed as an under-cabinet model - just be aware of how they are vented.

On the other hand, if you're adding a new one you'll most likely have to reinforce the cabinet to carry the weight, and maybe even reinforce the cabinet's connection to the wall/ceiling. Then you'll have to add a new power outlet and run some romex back to your power panel - most microwaves will be connected to a dedicated 15A circuit breaker - while they CAN be plugged in to an existing outlet if anything else is running off that line you'll be popping the breaker.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have a 50 amp motorhome and the microwave/convection is built-in. The microwave part is 800 watt . You may want less than the 1000 watt to reduce the power consumption.

The Panasonic Inverter microwaves are great in this regard; when run on a reduced power setting, they actually consume less power continually (at least down to some power level) rather than simply cycling at full power as basically every other microwave does. In other words, using one at 70% will use 70% of the peak power, rather than peak power 70% of the time.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 50 amp motorhome and the microwave/convection is built-in. The microwave part is 800 watt . You may want less than the 1000 watt to reduce the power consumption.

PDX1953
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
PDX,

How creative are you??

Let me tell you what I did (twice).

First, I had to re-enforce the cabinet as it was made before microwaves were tiny and the thought never occurred to builder.

Then, I made some long hangers that screwed into the cabinet bottom and then into the feet holes of the microwave. They worked, but it was a bear to hang the **** thing back up.

Next and still, I got some aluminum angle (like 1/2*1) and cut that microwave or cabinet long (forget which, but the longer) and driller the case of the microwave (dismounted) for the sides and also upsized the screws in the case sides because they were not planned to hold the whole weight. I can almost put it up alone.

Matt

Wow - that sounds like a lot of work. I'm a retired Software & Mechanical Engineer so I'm fairly creative but I think I'll get a set of metal brackets that hang off of a cleat. I can always use a piece of 1/2" x 3" hardwood to bridge across voids & anchor the wood into studs.

Thanks for everyone's help.

PDX1953
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just beware that a 1000W micro can use 1300+ watts. The wattage rating is for the cooking power, not the overall power usage rating.

Thanks - I was unaware of that. I'll most likely only use one when on shore or generator power even though I have a 2000w pure sine wave inverter.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
PDX,

How creative are you??

Let me tell you what I did (twice).

First, I had to re-enforce the cabinet as it was made before microwaves were tiny and the thought never occurred to builder.

Then, I made some long hangers that screwed into the cabinet bottom and then into the feet holes of the microwave. They worked, but it was a bear to hang the **** thing back up.

Next and still, I got some aluminum angle (like 1/2*1) and cut that microwave or cabinet long (forget which, but the longer) and driller the case of the microwave (dismounted) for the sides and also upsized the screws in the case sides because they were not planned to hold the whole weight. I can almost put it up alone.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Wal Mart, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot all sell them in lots of sizes and shapes.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just beware that a 1000W micro can use 1300+ watts. The wattage rating is for the cooking power, not the overall power usage rating.