cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frustrations with new technology...GRRRR!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know that I gotta' keep up as technology progresses, but some things in the past that were so simple are now a huge hassle to seek and figure out. Case in point:

I not only got a new computer this week but also a new digital camera last week... I am getting up to speed on both. In the past when I took a photo image on my phone and downloaded to my hard rive, the viewing program would open the image in the orientation that it was taken in relation to the camera position: taller orientation (up/ down) or side-to-side.

I have a new camera and new computer using Windows 10. When dropping photos to the hard drive, some "intelligent" assumption is being made to automatically orient or interpret what position is "camera up" when a photo is taken.

In the blue highlighted image below is a snip of what my folder of an images looks like. I rotated the camera 90^ to capture a taller object. It shows up fine in this photo gallery but in reality is still has properties of the "sideways elements."

In the past, my photo viewer would open images correctly with respect the the camera rotation as it was taken, I would then manually rotate it so as to correct the image properly and then save it. This way when I drag and drop it (to an e-mail for example) the saved image would load properly with correct orientation.

The second below image is from that same photo gallery but dropped to an e-mail. In the gallery it looks OK, but somewhere along the way, some sort of dumb technology rotates it for good viewing in one program, but does not for others.

This is one small reason that I HATE technology. I wish it would not make assumptions for me if it will not let me go back and correct its wrong decisions.

I want to be in control of my computer and I am sure there is a way that I can make work what exactly it is that I want to do... but I gotta' search and research on how to do a simple freeakin' task!
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
15 REPLIES 15

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Win 10;
Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Default Programs
That might help?

I was looking back for some vertical shots and the little point and shoot Nikon saves the vertical shot as horizontal. The big Nikon saves it as vertical.

When I open the old camera vertical shot with the Win 10 default photo viewer, it opens it as horizontal. But a vertical photo made with a newer camera will open as vertical.
I don't know, but I'm starting to think that it depends on the encoding in the photo made by the camera might be in play.
???
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it is yahoo.

Using yahoo with new camera on the old computer (with the associated program that opens the .JPG's) works fine.

Using yahoo with new camera on the new computer (with the NEW program that opens the .JPG's) is where I am sensing the breakdown.

The new program has a default program with a cute "mountain" logo-thingy in a box:

I thought that setting my default image opener to BlueBeam would work, but that program default extension is PDF .... I want to stay with a JPG opener with out it attempting to anticipate settings for me.

I am trying to find where, in the new computer's image program, the settings to default it accept the image that the camera gives it in the exact fashion in which it picture was take. THEN I want the program to let ME rotate and save it with the new parameters.

I want a simple program to open images and let ME control it instead of some AI thinking it knows what I want.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried loading a vertical picture in;
Outlook Express (Win7 Pro)
Outlook 2010 (Win 10)
Thunderbird (Win 10)
Using both drag n drop and insert photo methods.
The vertical picture was never rotated onto it's side.

Yahoo mail - this I tried and Yahoo did rotate the picture onto it horizontal side.
I would guess that there' no problem with your computer, but Yahoo is doing something hinky to the image loading business.
You're on your own there. . .I don't use Yahoo enough to venture any guesses as to why it does that.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right now as far as I can tell it is only happening when I drag n' drop to my personal yahoo e-mail. With the new copmuter, I also purchased (not subscription) the latest version of MS office home version that uses MS Oultook but have yet to get it going to see if similar instances are happening in it; My work office uses Office and I prefer and am familiar with it: Iwill be setting up my own on the new machine sometime soon so I do not know if the image when placed will look correct on THAT e-mail program.

I have not tested any other programs of which I would be placing images to see if the same thing is happening. But for programs other than e-mailing, I am more often then not creating it for some type of work related documentation and as such I am using combination of BlueBeam and InfranView so I am editing images and it is just part of the work.

Even if it is only my personal yahoo e-mail that has the issue, I do not want to go through the whole ordeal of needing to open an image editing program just to format a couple of photos to quickly send out and have them show up in the body of the text. I do not mind opening a couple of more powerful programs for presentation work but not for a simple stinking e-mail!

I do not mind learning new things, but I feel like I am reinventing the danm wheel!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it happening ONLY in the email program?
And which email program is it?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP here...Well, I appreciate y'all trying to help with the comments but this dang technology is really starting to tick me off.

I have tried all the advice and I think I can set the danm rotate to not activate on the camera (it is correct with respect to how the camera took the image when I look at the data on the camera via my computer) But it seems that the auto rotate happens when I drag the data from the camera to the hard drive. Any viewing of the images after the data is dropped to the computer it appears in the orientation correctly instead of how the camera took the picture. I WANT TO MANUALLY ROTATE AND SAVE.

The stinking computer is doing it on its own and even thought it appears correct in the image viewer it still will not load properly when dragging to an e-mail.

This should not be rocket surgery for goodness sake! I hate this new machine and new camera because it thinks it knows what I want but it cannot actually do it!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Search the camera data file for "rotation". It can well be in the camera settings.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
Cameras don't rotate the image themselves because in the past that took more processing power than they had. So they write a little piece of information about the orientation in something called an exif tag. Most programs read that tag and autorotate the image for display. So either your camera is not writng that tag correctly or the program that shows it sideways isn't interpreting it correctly.
X2 CLICKY
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Cameras don't rotate the image themselves because in the past that took more processing power than they had. So they write a little piece of information about the orientation in something called an exif tag. Most programs read that tag and autorotate the image for display. So either your camera is not writng that tag correctly or the program that shows it sideways isn't interpreting it correctly.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK... I am posting this on my old computer wit the same new camera photos I downloaded as documented before.

I placed the photos on the old hard drive and used what appears to be whatever photo opening program this is as shown in the snip below:

On my old computer I am able to download from the new camera the correct rotation with respect to the position of which the camera took the image. It downloads in that correct position (rotated or otherwise.)

The program on the old computer that opens the images, open them in the correct camera position even if it is rotated. The program allows me to rotate it and then save and life is good:

So, some folks said it is my camera. Is it really the camera or the program on the new computer that makes the assumption judgment call when opening the images? I would really like the program that opens the images to open them unmolested and that way I, me, me, my interpretation can make the decision on what to do with the image.

By virtue of this experiment of doing it on my old computer makes me think it is not the camera but rather an over assertive program that opens images on my new computer. Is my logic correct?

I will still keep trying. I have yet to install BlueBeam Revu on the new computer and will set it as my default image processing and opening program... maybe it will let me have control over my own data... other wise I will change my name to "Dave" and demand a more apologetic computer based on the Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic 9000 platform. (LOL)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
You are defying gravity, all good.

Ah heck, if he was living Downunder that pic would be upside down ... and correctly oriented! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on MrWizard's comments. The fault lies with your camera. The other behavior is just inconsistency in how the programs interpret the image metadata on orientation (or lack thereof).
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

MrWizard
the picture is marked for landscape
the windows viewer auto rotated it on the PC 'when viewing'
but it is NOT saved in 'vertical portrait' mode
you need to go back with the windows viewer and save it
then when you load it in email it should be correct

now that you know what your new camera is NOT marking the file for 'portrait' viewing you can change them before you email them

my samsung S5 does that with some but not all pictures, when i hold it on a slant facing down, it will save the picture with a vertical 'flag' when it is horizontal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You can still download the Microsoft Picture Manager that used to be part of Microsoft Office, from this link. I don't understand why MS took it off, except it was just too easy and worked too well.

It might also be something in your camera settings. My Nikon has an "autorotate" function that I had to turn off.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board