Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short A thoughts?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
DW & I are looking at class As under 30'

We would love to hear your thoughts. We are looking at used stuff that is local, but don't mind traveling to find the right unit for us. Top of our list at the moment are:

2012 Fleetwood Storm 28F 20k miles
2015 Itasca Tribute 27 14k miles

Any suggestions or alerts?
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide
22 REPLIES 22

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
We have enjoyed our 30' Rexhall so much we are having a hard time replacing it. The only problems are the mileage and the bed isnt a walk-around. New Class A's seem to be smaller inside. Maybe the furniture and cabinetry is bigger now? It's just the two of us so a lot of room/storage is wasted on extra beds. Our 3x6" sofa slide makes the living area seem huge. The Rexhall has 11 windows, some new models only have a couple and we love seeing the outdoors and having ventilation. I bet the shorter size makes us lighter so the V10 performance is better. For us, 30' is a good compromise of room and maneuverability.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Rick, I just happen to have a '14 28F that I am getting ready to trade in. 16,000 miles, new carpet which takes away probably 75% of the cabin noise, and some other additions. Let me know.

Doug

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
This weekend we looked at a couple of Georgetown 270S rigs. Both pretty new and very low miles.

Of course we also saw some short 5vers - always choices!
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
memilanuk wrote:
Yeah... went up the west side in an F250 crew cab short bed truck, and *that* was white-knuckle driving. With anything more... just no

DW and I did it in our Tundra and I told her that if you make a mistake on that road, it will be your last mistake! But what a beautiful national park!!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago BRAVE!
Ray

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Subaru Outback is ideal for that kind of thing, but yeah, we always leave the trailer in camp.

Class A? Ha! That's what Toads are for! For every GTTS road there are hundreds of forest roads and camp grounds. It's just an extreme example.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah... went up the west side in an F250 crew cab short bed truck, and *that* was white-knuckle driving. With anything more... just no

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RickLIght wrote:
As with any big decision there are multiple reasons;

• We love going to smaller, less crowded locations.
  • Tight roads, trail heads, camp grounds... (every hear of the 'Going to the Sun' highway in Glacier NP?)
  • Costs, both new and operating
  • Ease of driving
  • Fear of backing up (hers not mine, I drove school buses for a couple or years.)

We had a 23' class C (overall near 30, no slides) for a few years. We took it up the Al-Can highway with the then kids for a month. We all fit in that well, so just us 2 should be great in a 30ish rig. We don't want a King bed, sofa & recliners & dinette, 2 baths, 3 TVs, etc. Some kitchen counter space and a moderate shower are on our list.

Some of the 25's do look a bit small and a week in a 30 was great. I can't promise that once we really retire we won't want more storage. I've also been starting to think that we have been focusing on camping, but there is also a 'portable hotel room' side to this.

Don't think you'll be going up to Logan's Pass in any Class A, as there's a width restriction of 8ft as well as length. I caught the mini bus at McDonald's Lake for going up to the sun and left the driving to them.
Just saying to buy your last one first, as the saying goes.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with any big decision there are multiple reasons;

• We love going to smaller, less crowded locations.
  • Tight roads, trail heads, camp grounds... (every hear of the 'Going to the Sun' highway in Glacier NP?)
  • Costs, both new and operating
  • Ease of driving
  • Fear of backing up (hers not mine, I drove school buses for a couple or years.)

We had a 23' class C (overall near 30, no slides) for a few years. We took it up the Al-Can highway with the then kids for a month. We all fit in that well, so just us 2 should be great in a 30ish rig. We don't want a King bed, sofa & recliners & dinette, 2 baths, 3 TVs, etc. Some kitchen counter space and a moderate shower are on our list.

Some of the 25's do look a bit small and a week in a 30 was great. I can't promise that once we really retire we won't want more storage. I've also been starting to think that we have been focusing on camping, but there is also a 'portable hotel room' side to this.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RickLIght wrote:
DW & I are looking at class As under 30'

We would love to hear your thoughts. We are looking at used stuff that is local, but don't mind traveling to find the right unit for us. Top of our list at the moment are:

2012 Fleetwood Storm 28F 20k miles
2015 Itasca Tribute 27 14k miles

Any suggestions or alerts?

Why so short and will assume for now, that you haven't owned a MH, previously?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
FMC diesel.

This one is like mine at 29 ft and looks to be very well kept.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy with our Newmar...no full wall slide! We looked at a 29' Bay Star and it was nice, but IMHO, get a few more feet. We're very happy with our 34' unit but after driving it with car in tow, I wouldn't be afraid to move up to 36' unit to get just a little more room in the bedroom and/or bathroom. When we were looking, we had decided that 36' would be the longest we would want. But, I understand very well how folks with more MH experience advise buying longer units as they really do provide a lot of room if you are going to spend a lot of time on the road!

And, read up on shorter class A's. Many are known for having more severe handling issues than larger units. One example I found was the short units being built by Jayco....many complaints about handling that don't seem to apply to the 32' and longer models. Also, compare tank capacities and think about how they may impact your style of traveling.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Reyo, only a shade over 25 ft. It's the 25Q model with 2 slides. Tight bathroom/shower, but with a 6 cylinder diesel Mercedes getting 16MPG I can live with that. The other poster on here that didn't like the handling of short class A's must not have ever driven this one. It handles great and as a plus it doesn't limit me to only large gas stations like Pilot, I can fuel just about anywhere.

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Bay Star. We had one and it was a huge POS. Sold in a year. The full wall slide was a pain since you had to lock and unlock. With the slide in the bathroom door only opens a little bit, so you have to go through side ways. Not a big deal until the slide broke and we had to wait almost 3 weeks to get it fixed. By the way it was difficult in Florida to find someone to work on full wall slides.