cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual rv awning

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Need help retracting a manual awning when the switch is broken ?
14 REPLIES 14

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of pairs of vicegrips in different sizes are the best solution to carry for problems like that.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Figured it out with pliers..we have a chance of thunderstorm tonight...just wanted to be able to retract it

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that lever

Beerdawg wrote:
Yes....the awning is "out" ...but when we leave we have to retract it yes...the lever ,swith,thingamajig,dohickie what ever you want to call it is broken just spins....**** sorry I'm confusing everyone because every place you look it's called something differnt...

How about a picture of the "thingamajig, dohickie" that is in fact broken... Perhaps with that, we could better help,,.,
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those levers have a set screw that holds them to the shaft that actuates the ratchet release. If that is lost so you can't tighten it you can turn the shaft with some pliers.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
OK, some (most?) manual awnings have a lever at the end of the roller that engages a ratcheting mechanism that holds the awing in place as you lower it. And the lever must be flipped to release the ratchet to roll it back up. That lever "switches" the awning from roll up to roll down mode.

Now have said that, is that what you are talking about beerdawg?

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Yes....the awning is "out" ...but when we leave we have to retract it yes...the lever ,swith,thingamajig,dohickie what ever you want to call it is broken just spins....**** sorry I'm confusing everyone because every place you look it's called something differnt...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Beerdawg wrote:
No the awning it goes up and down

Boy, this is confusing. :? An awning, whether manual or power, deploys out and retracts in. If you are indeed talking about the awning and it's a manual awning is what you're calling a "switch" really the locking lever on the end of the roller tube? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
No the awning it goes up and down

Beerdawg wrote:
I guess I should have said the directional lever is broken.

Are you speaking about the TV antenna ?? Awnings are not directional???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
If your talking about he handle that depresses the detent pin you can push the pin in with a screwdriver then use a flat headed screwdriver to hold the head up while you move it. Been there, done that.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Beerdawg wrote:
Need help retracting a manual awning when the switch is broken ?

A manual awning has no switch so what "switch" are you talking about? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380