cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flat bed or conventional pu

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen RV'ers towing 5th wheels with flat bed pick up trucks and wondered what are the advantages besides ease of leveling.
21 REPLIES 21

R12RT
Explorer
Explorer
Jram wrote:
"I build 5er friendly hauler beds for my trucks and I'll never go back to a box. Craig"
Can you post a picture or two. (to show my DW)

Here are a couple sites to see what they look like.

Classy Chassis Trucks

Utility Bodywerks

Jram
Explorer
Explorer
"I build 5er friendly hauler beds for my trucks and I'll never go back to a box. Craig"
Can you post a picture or two. (to show my DW)

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
In Ontario, Canada:
"Operators that don't need a CVOR certificate:
pickup trucks that:
have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb)
are being used for personal purposes without compensation
are fitted with either the original, unmodified box installed by the manufacturer, or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one installed by the manufacturer
are not carrying or towing a trailer carrying commercial cargo or tools, or equipment of any type normally used for commercial purposes
"
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I build 5er friendly hauler beds for my trucks and I'll never go back to a box. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many flatbeds and insurance has always been cheaper and I have never stopped at a scale. CA DMV fees are higher but that is based on the weight of the truck not just because it is a flatbed. Also no mention of commercial on my registration.

As for towing a fifth wheel not really an advantage but certainly not a disadvantage.

It always amazed me that with a regular bed I leave the tailgate down and everything blows out the back. Flatbed and everything is blown into a pile dead center up against the headboard.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
insurance is higher for a non pu bed truck.
in all 50 states and district of coumbia. a flat bed truck is a full commurcial truck and falls under fed dot laws as well as state dot and reg street laws.
some states require you to stop at scale houses. so check your axle weights. permits. etc. log book rules??

Nope, nope, nope.
I have both, flatbed truck insurance is actually cheaper than my traditional bed truck (in my case). Oh, and my flatbed truck is not classified as a "commercial" truck and has never had any DOT issues. I don't have a log book or special permit. I'm not saying that some states don't require these things, but to say ALL 50 STATES is just plain ridiculous.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
in all 50 states and district of coumbia. a flat bed truck is a full commurcial truck and falls under fed dot laws as well as state dot and reg street laws.
some states require you to stop at scale houses. so check your axle weights. permits. etc. log book rules??

got a link for this line of spewed pure BS?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 5โ€™ers with both and can assure you that a flatbed doesnโ€™t have any significant advantages UNLESS you have tall side fences. I personally prefer the traditional bed.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on putting a flatbed on my next truck. The one thing I have found around here is while they have B&W hitches most have a fixed ball. I will probably have to order one to get the turnover ball so I can use the companion.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Before you decide, check with your ins. agent. In some states they treat these as commercial vehicles and ins. can be high.

I have to agree also, years ago when I got my first 1 ton DRW my agent told me if it did not say pick up on the window sticker/mso it would be rated at the higher commercial rate.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best of all worlds unless you need a standard truck bed for non-RV uses:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-hauler-bed.html
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Before you decide, check with your ins. agent. In some states they treat these as commercial vehicles and ins. can be high.

Very sound advise!

Most insurance companyโ€™s use the VIN to decode what the truck was when it came from the factory. For example, an F450 that came as a pickup bed usually isnโ€™t a problem. If it came as a Cab and Chassis its a different world. I tried to get an underwriter two years ago educated on a Western Hauler but could never get their blinders off. The big concern was how to value it for physical damage coverages which does make some sense. Cab and Chassis trucks could limit the insurance choices to a few.

That being said, I would very much consider a Western Hauler type set up, but probably wouldnโ€™t get DW to buy into a flat bed
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

In CA - where "no pickups" sign/s are common at scales (which are run by the CHP) - The "NO pickups" does *NOT* apply to a (any) pickup with a flat bed (or utility bed). Period.

You may be ignored - maybe not "chased down"....but it *IS* the law.
(See CA DOT - who must stop at scales)

Spend some time on the various pickup forums - and you will see posts by "surprised" CA owners - who suddenly have a desire to convert their pickups *back* to a factory bed.

~