cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning protective tape

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Many retailers are selling a 8 inch wide vinyl tape that sticks to the awning to protect it, including Camping World, Walmart, etc. (see links below). I can't find any reviews on this stuff, though it -seems- like a good idea. Has anyone used it? Does it work? Seems easy enough to do.....

https://www.campingworld.com/awning-guard-protect-your-rv-awning-from-the-sun-and-weather-black

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/StickNBond-Awning-Guard-p/01-0004.htm
29 REPLIES 29

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
OK I did a 17 ft awning for 8 bucks. It looks great. You can see a line where the color is slightly different, but no biggy.

This stuff and stuff like it are used by professionals to restore faded static awnings in front of stores (google it). So I don't see why this won't work.

The biggest problem I had was that masking tape will not stick to the awning. I had to use duct tape on the awning side, and that left globs in places that had to be cleaned up with mineral spirtis.

I want to do my other 2 awnings, but want to find something cleaner than duct tape.

"Gaffers Tape" -- similar to duct tape, but leaves absolutely no adhesive residue. I use it at our church to tape down audio cables to the carpet for special events. Great product. Amazon has it.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You might try sail-repair tape from West Marine etc. I use it for patches but it would probably do well for your application.
-jbh-

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
OK I did a 17 ft awning for 8 bucks. It looks great. You can see a line where the color is slightly different, but no biggy.

This stuff and stuff like it are used by professionals to restore faded static awnings in front of stores (google it). So I don't see why this won't work.

The biggest problem I had was that masking tape will not stick to the awning. I had to use duct tape on the awning side, and that left globs in places that had to be cleaned up with mineral spirtis.

I want to do my other 2 awnings, but want to find something cleaner than duct tape.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I used black Flex Tape(think Flex Seal as seen on TV) on my black awning. I cannot visually tell the difference between between Flex Tape and eternabond tape. I installed it while the awning was in storage position. It still goes flat when I extend the awning which is good.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
We (well, actually my wife) decided on masking off the top of the roll and spraying it with Rustoleum Vinyl and Fabric paint. Will post again after we get back in December to see if this was mistake or solution.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
At least one retailer of the Stick-N-Bond tapes claims that it is made by Eternabond. I have contacted Eternabond and their parent company to see if that is true.

As to SpeakEasy's post: The difference in length when flat versus rolled is a function of increased diameter. The Eternabond tape is 0.035 inches thick, therefore using pi*diameter/2 the difference is 0.055 inches total, less than 1/16 inch. Since this difference is "spread out" over the width of 4 inch tape, the difference becomes 0.014 per inch, or about 1/64 of an inch per inch of tape. This is why those who have used the Eternabond tape have not had any problems.

Here is Eternabond's reply.

"We appreciate your interest in Eternabond.

Sticknbond is the same product as Eternabondโ€™s RoofSeal white, we private label this product for Leisure Time. Same material just different wrapping.

Sincerely,

Tom Brenner
ETERNABOND
847-837-9400x137"

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an issue I've thought of with using tape or anything like Eternabond. Whatever you put on as a layer on top of the awning fabric ends up being a slightly different "size" when the awning is rolled up compared to when it is extended. That's because it is on the outside of the curved surface when it is rolled up and on the outside of a flat surface when it is extended. You wouldn't think this difference in size would be significant, and it wouldn't be - except if the material is completely glued to the underlying awning fabric. In this situation the weaker material - either the awning fabric or the tape - has to bunch up or stretch out as the awning is extended and retracted.

I installed my sunbrella while the awning was in a stored position. I used tape around the perimeter. All the sunbrella that is not taped is free to move. As I extend the awning I can see that the sunbrella pushes upward, away from the awning fabric, in the center area where the tape doesn't hold it down. The looseness of the middle portion gives it the flex that it needs in order to change size.

Does this make sense?

It isn't something I thought of while I was designing it. (I'm not that smart.) But it is something I have observed, and what I've written here is my explanation of what I've observed.

If the protective material were totally glued down, you wouldn't have the built-in flex that I have. I think that the stress this would put on the awning fabric, over time, might wipe out any benefit you'd be getting from sun protection. Maybe.

Bottom line - to address your question about which Eternabond to buy: in light of the above, I'd get the thinnest material you can get, in order to ensure that it is the most flexible.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to protect brand new awnings. 303 and the rest may slow down deterioration but not a longterm fix. The eternabond tape seems like the best way to go, but which one?

Eternabond seems to come in "Webseal" and "Roofseal". Which?

White or black? My awning is kinda brown striped. Seems like black would just bake the awning when rolled up. Yes? No?

Home Depot carries in-stock white Ultrabond 4" x 25 ft for $27. Same as Eternabond?

Online order only - nobody carries locally:
Eternabond white RSW-4-50 roofseal tape $68 Walmart $55 Amazon
same as above but 6inch $76 Amazon $60 Ebay

The original post was about 8inch x 21ft for $78.

Gorilla tape only comes in 1.88inch wide, so not a choice.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
SpeakEasy -

What type of fabric is that?

How much did the materials cost?

It's Sunbrella fabric. The materials were about $90 if I remember correctly.

It's been holding up wonderfully. No problems at all.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gorilla tape, Gorilla tape,......WHICH ONE??? There's several types of Gorilla tape. Gorilla is the brand,......kinda like saying 3M tape.
BTW the type of Gorilla tape that holds up to many months of sun is..: black, thick, heavy duty, durable, tough, expensive and difficult to pull off.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy -

What type of fabric is that?

How much did the materials cost?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I have info on a project I did a couple years ago that is similar. I used sunbrella rather than tape. If this link works, without a login needed, you're welcome to read about it and see all my pics, failures, and eventual successes.

Where you see little number icons on the pics, click on them for commentary.

I think the tape is way too expensive for what you're getting.

For a brief time I thought about patenting and marketing my idea. I would have to charge about $120 for each one to make any money on it. I decided that was too expensive.

-Speak

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used clear flex seal in the spray can? The first 4 inches of our slide awning have gotten weather beaten and frayed looking, and I want to use that spray stuff.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My Eternabond tape job looks fine. I extended my awning all the way, then disconnected the legs and slipped them under the trailer, allowing the awning to lay flat against the side. It was easy to do a neat job that way.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE