cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat Diesel engine temp

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I have a 36’ diesel pusher with a 275hp cat engine. Also I’m pulling a small car on a tow dolly. It’s mid July and I’m moving through Texas headed to indiana. This is my first run in 90+ ambient temps. I am noticing my temp gauge moving from about 5/8 to 3/4 when pulling a fairly light and short grade. The gauge has not moved to the red but if this were a gas engine I would say it’s running on the hot side. Iv never owned a diesel so my question is does this sound normal? Im afraid my rig will never make it through the Rocky’s. Also if the gauge moves close to the red can this cat engine handle it or should I be pulling over quick for a cool down. By the way it’s a 1999 year with 90k miles and all maintenance done. Thank you for any info. Safe travels, Lee
17 REPLIES 17

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It runs on Windows, I’m guessing your tablet is on Android?

I’m going to get a used tablet on EBay. They’re around $100-$150.

I was very pleased with their service. Maybe call them up and chat.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I went with Silverleaf, the laptop version ...

Is there a non-laptop version. I would get VMSpc if I could run it on my Samsung tablet.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with Silverleaf, the laptop version which consists of a cable, adapter box and a cd.
You plug it in, install the software and you can read everything that’s available.

You can customize your gauges on the screen and or display it all on a graph in real time while driving.

I bought it as I was getting a check engine light randomly. Freightliner wanted some ridiculous amount just to read the code.

It was the turbo boost sensor, which I had replaced.

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an Electronic Engine there should be some type of DATA port some place. It is not an OBD2 connector since it is a truck diesel. My understanding is that they had not standardized the port the until sometime in the early 2000s. It may be up front but also look in the back engine compartment or last compartment on the passenger side. My ports were located in the last compartment passenger side. They were round.

The Scangauge you need is the Scangauge D. That kit has the standard connections (J1939 & J1708) for a modern diesel. If you don't have have either J1939 or J1708 data port contact Scangauge. They will send you the correct data port connection. Since my data port was in the back I had to run a data cable to the front. The data cable was a CAT 5 or 6 computer network cable. Running the cable was the hardest part of the install. The Scangauge allows you to monitor 4 parameters. Getting accurate information well help diagnose the problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there could be a number of causes, but strongly suggest that you start with the EASY/INEXPENSIVE ones I posted above.

Post a picture of the front lower part of the CAC.

Verify that the water pump belt is properly tensioned-- yes, on your engine it is a separate belt running the water pump ONLY and is not on an automatic tensioner.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Friend just recently had a similar issue with his 3126 CAT. Engine would overheat under load. Turns out that the wastegate on his turbo was stuck partially open, reducing the boost. Replacing the turbo solved his issue. Just another possible cause that is not obvious.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The local CAT shop recommended a 195° regulator for my 3126B. The tech said they run better at that temp.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
If you change the thermostats (regulators - 2) be aware that the early engines came with 180 degree thermostats but my cat dealer sold me 190 degree regulators when I changed the coolant & thermostats.

Fred

Thermostats (regulators) should be sold for your specific engine serial number. Would be quite surprised that it came from Caterpillar with a 180 and parts book now calls for a 190. Wonder if someone changed them or if they actually were OE.

Just my GUESS, but 190 sounds more like the correct one.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
You have a Freightliner chassis, and depending upon the build date of the chassis, you may have the old one piece dash gauges or could have the system III with separate round gauges. If you have the separate round gauges, then you can estimate the temp fairly accurately.

Freightliner Service Bulletin 54-12 outlines this with a picture of the temp gauge with related calibrated temps. You can find SB 54-12 here:

Freightliner SB 54-12

The temp gauge is pictured on page 5. The remainder of SB 54-12 is excellent information about how the instruments and the vehicle data computer work.

On the 2000 model chassis, the engine will lose power to protect itself at 220 degrees. I'm not sure about your chassis.

We had the 2000 year Freightliner chassis with the cat 330. The front of the CAC must be cleaned frequently to keep the temps in range. The slobber tube also must be extended behind the radiator to reduce fouling.

Keeping the rpm's up on the hills will help. The shift points on the allison transmission do not keep the water pump spinning fast enough to keep the temps down on a hard pull.

If you change the thermostats (regulators - 2) be aware that the early engines came with 180 degree thermostats but my cat dealer sold me 190 degree regulators when I changed the coolant & thermostats.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Newer Cats run hotter than the older ones. Lets see, 1999 you have EGR and some emissions hardware. Keep the CAC and radiator clean and forget about it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a different CAT than you do (a 3126E 330 HP version 2003). I tow a 5,000 lb Nissan XTerra behind a 36' Safari Cheetah RV. Now have 55,000 miles on the RV and live in Reno, NV where everything starts at 4,500' and goes up from there. Many, many times I have climbed 0ver 8,000+' in the summer and my temp gauge never moves over normal range. You need to start by checking your thermostats, belt tension and the water pump and its belts as well as possibly draining and replacing your radiator fluid. Remember, most CAT and diesel engines also use the fluid to cool the tranny. Try washing the radiator, charge air cooler and tranny cooler. I wash mine after every trip to clear out the road junk etc. Your CAT should not get hot pulling your load.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I concur with Wolfe. My 05 doesn’t budge above normal whether it’s on flat road or up 7% grades in West Virginia.

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I ment 1999 year

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill. I just looked around under the dash and left firewall around the fuse panel and no luck finding a obd port. Maybe someone out there knows if a 1998 model has obd ?