cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need aftermarket gauges on your diesel?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
If you're running stock then the answer is no for the most part, but even then keeping an eye on important temps can help you prevent major engine failure. Had this happen to a friend of mine on his stock LML when he was towing his RV down to the coast. One of his injector tips cracked spewing out extra fuel and melted the piston. If he had a gauge to monitor temps, he would have been able to see his EGTs sky rocket and shut it down before it caused major engine failure.

One of my favorite blogs, Drivingline, just posted an informative article on why your diesel needs gauges and how hot it too hot.

WATCHFUL EYE: WHY YOUR DIESEL NEEDS AFTERMARKET GAUGES

Enjoy!
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
12 REPLIES 12

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Modern stock diesels don't need gauges for the most part.

The reason I made my comment is the article is referring to modern stock diesels as well.

Here's a copy/paste from the article: "modern diesel pickups are impressive machines—but they have their limits. While any late-model oil-burner can tow 20,000 pounds with relative ease, they can also generate tremendous heat in a hurry."

This article like most is to sell products.

What they state is true, modern diesels are impressive machines, but they do have their limits-- especially when tuned. They never said a stock unit like yours.

Also, Drivingline is owned by Nitto, which only sells tires.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:

Modern stock diesels don't need gauges for the most part.

The reason I made my comment is the article is referring to modern stock diesels as well.

Here's a copy/paste from the article: "modern diesel pickups are impressive machines—but they have their limits. While any late-model oil-burner can tow 20,000 pounds with relative ease, they can also generate tremendous heat in a hurry."

This article like most is to sell products.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
janstey58 wrote:
Take it to a dealer (Cummins, etc...) and they can diagnose.

In the OP's friends case, he didn't and probably wouldn't feel anything was wrong. A stuck injector will perform fine until it blows a hole through a piston. Until that point there would be no reason to take it to the shop.
An EGT gauge would have shown abnormal temps.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
71stpsde wrote:
The very first thing I bought for my truck was the Edge CTS2 Insight. With me having an 2006 F350 with a 6.0, I had to keep an eye on the temps on my oil and water. During last summer and it being really hot in south Texas. My deltas were over 15 degrees. I got the truck bulletproofed in January. Now my temps are back to normal. I had a EGT added to keep check of my exhaust temps. Now I feel confident that my truck can go many miles.

x2 on Edge CTS Insight. I monitor Coolant, Trans temp, etc. Also added EGT probe and fuel pressure. When towing, I always monitor gauges.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
When mine was stock, I still had gauges. I tracked every Regen to ensure nothing was clogged or close to it. I also like to see the egt. This is useful in a diesel tracking fuel mileage. Egt is a direct correlation to the amount of fuel used. I get much better mileage now watching what gear I'm in. I shift down coming into a hill so it doesn't dump fuel too late. And I run in further hear towing mostly when it's up and down small hills. Fuel mileage isn't as important to me on cost as it is ensuring I make it to the next fuel station. I drive through many places where there's 50 miles between gas stations. One trip I just took, there was a sign saying 96 miles to the next gas station. Andi have the old 26 gallon tank.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
After 6 years and 150k miles on my truck about the only gauges I look at these days is the fuel, speed, rpm and gear indicator

Modern stock diesels don't need gauges for the most part. They are mostly dumby proof and will de-fuel or shut down in limp mode long before you can do any major damage. Tuned vehicles on the other hand have many of these nannies shut off(sort of like the older trucks without nannies) so it is best to have gauges so you can monitor these temps.

This is why I don't recommend tunes without gauges, and I certainly don't recommend someone who is not mechanically inclined and would rather have the computer do everything for them.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Be nice if new trucks had EGT. Most, or at least the Rams have boost and presumably more accurate engine/trans temp.
I drive by boost/egt to see what the truck is doing, but I could melt mine into a smoldering heap if I don't.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a dealer (Cummins, etc...) and they can diagnose.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
After 6 years and 150k miles on my truck about the only gauges I look at these days is the fuel, speed, rpm and gear indicator
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I installed a combo boost/pyro when my truck was new because it has drive-by-wire throttle and there was no way of telling how hard it was working going over hills and such. I really don't want it WOT in those cases and a gauge was the only way to tell.

New trucks have all the gauges built in.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exhaust temperature is a good one to monitor, especially if you tow anything heavy, say more than 9-10,000 pounds, travel the steep back roads, or travel in the heat of the desert.

71stpsde
Explorer
Explorer
The very first thing I bought for my truck was the Edge CTS2 Insight. With me having an 2006 F350 with a 6.0, I had to keep an eye on the temps on my oil and water. During last summer and it being really hot in south Texas. My deltas were over 15 degrees. I got the truck bulletproofed in January. Now my temps are back to normal. I had a EGT added to keep check of my exhaust temps. Now I feel confident that my truck can go many miles.