cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gold Rush Washington Coast

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Camping on the Washington Coast...we have been having fun watching and talking to a bunch of guys sluice for fine gold on the beach...
They set up rigs like this, use salt water and run the black sand that was exposed or brought in by the huge winter storms we had in January....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
14 REPLIES 14

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
Where is this on the coast, Almost kind of looks like Grayland, or a bit north

I have seen someone doing this at Cape Disappointment.

Now THAT's what I call optimism.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Seen folks at Cape Blanco, Or. on the beach doing that a few yrs. ago. Same reaction, didn't really want to talk about it.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:

I have seen someone doing this at Cape Disappointment.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Probably was the DAKOTA BOYS trying to keep up their skills for the Gold Rush series... hehe
Or Todd Hoffman having yet another great season (not), lol.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coincidentally I just saw folks doing this in NH along a river several days ago. Met some folks up in Alaska doing the same, they were hoping to find enough gold to pay for the gas for their trip.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they're having a blast! My wife and I plan on learning how to pan gold when we retire and hit the road. Can't wait. As far as sluicing and all that- too much work for me. I'll be happy with a pan.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWell they can't do any worse than the Hoffman crew....LOLL

No one could do worse than the Hoffmanโ€™s. โ€œYouโ€™re all millionaires! All you have to do is dig it out of the ground.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
it's a fun way to spend the day with your kids and grandkids, especially when you find some gold!! doesn't matter how much...that old gold fever makes it exciting!
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Well they can't do any worse than the Hoffman crew....LOL

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably was the DAKOTA BOYS trying to keep up their skills for the Gold Rush series... hehe

We see similar things on-going here in Virginia just East of the Blue Ridge Mtns where a known 20-mile wide gold field is that runs from Virginia down into North Carolina... Lots of Virginia towns with the word GOLD in their name...

Guys say they are not finding anything big but that sure looks like fun watching them go through all of that just like the GOLD RUSH SERIES on Discover Channel... Another good excuse for camping OFF-GRID hehe...

Yup gold mining in Virginia...

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That's attractive.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Are they finding any gold?

Talking to them....one guy said that it's just a hobby. Another one told me that it is paying the bills. Another said that he doesn't talk about how much he is finding....
All of them were really friendly. They were on the beach early every morning and worked till after sunset..

They all used beach wagons to move their gear and to haul water in buckets.

Some just poured water through their boxes by hand, others had battery powered sump pumps or had a small Honda generator.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are they finding any gold?