cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does the "stuff" weigh that you pack in your TT?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry another newbie question.

My wife and I are planning upon buying our first Travel Trailer, so we can start touring the country. Since this is our first trailer, we mainly looking at newer used TTs and we are trying to keep it as small and as lightweight as possible, so we can use our existing pickup. My truck can only pull a max of 12000 lbs TOTAL (trailer, truck, cargo and tongue wt), so I'd like to keep the loaded trailer weight well under 5000 lbs. We only need it to accommodate the two of us, since we aren't grand parents yet. After we have a year or two under of belt we're planning to step up to a larger tow vehicle and Trailer, like a 1-Ton Diesel truck and maybe even 5th wheel.

Almost all of the TT companies list the Unloaded weight of the trailer and they also list the max capacity that it will hold, some even list the total max weight of the trailer. I noticed great variations in cargo capacity, some around 1000 lbs and some as high as 3000 lbs or more. Since neither of us has any RVing experience we don't know how much the stuff that we'd pack actually weighs.

So my question is this....How much does a typical couple without an pack into their trailer and how much does it weigh? Once I loaded our trailer, I'd weigh it to make sure we aren't too heavy.

Thanks

PS: I wouldn't pack any beer brewing equipment, so no worries there!
41 REPLIES 41

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
My wife doesn't pack for a trip she packs for the season. I asked her tonight "why do we have two cases of water (24 bottles each) in the trailer"? Her answer, "so I don't have to put another one in the for the trip we're taking AFTER the next trip". We went from a 23' to a 32.5' trailer and in a month she's filled all the empty space.

We're safe as my wife does not read this.

But that's my wife too. Like, it's summer and we are camping near a desert, why are you carrying 5 heavy winter jackets? And the RV have closet, why are you carrying a big suitcase?

Hey, when did you marry my wife? Sounds just like her. We could pack for a holiday weekend and she’s packing like it’s a month long trip!

Lol!

We are in trouble with the womanhood in this forum.

LOL, they are from Venus!

I hope not! There is no more room in the trailer for that trip!!!!!

These are so hilarious! We should meet up in some camp for a cold one and our tales of woes.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't know where some folks get their "average" or "typical" weights for cargo from. The only way to know for sure is to weigh your TT when you get it new and again when you fully load it up for camping. I did just that when we got our 3rd TT new.

It weighed 190 lbs more than the factory dry weight due to options that we ordered. (KZ defines their dry weights as the rolling average weight for each model.)

The weight of all modifications was 119 lbs which included things like suspension mods, 2nd TV in bedroom, 4-stage water filtration (under sink), WDH snap-up brackets & DC cam arms, built-in vacuum & more.

The weight of all cargo for two adults came to only 555 lbs. We transferred ALL of our cargo over from our previous TT of the same length and layout (identical make/model TT) so nothing was left out. Cargo included all the usual stuff like BBQ, campfire in a can, sewer stuff, camping chairs, spare 30 amp cord, kitchen dishes/utensils/appliances/food, bedding, bathroom stuff, books, DVDs, tools, spare bits & pieces, blah, blah, blah.

The total of everything added on top of the factory UVW came to only 674 lbs. Far short of numbers like, 1000, 1200 or 1500 lbs. Some folks of course may load more "stuff" than most others, but the normal sort of CCC number for two adults IMO would be well under 1,000 lbs.

Holding tank contents would be in addition to UVW numbers. CCC numbers can vary a lot from say around 1K lbs to 3K lbs. You can't trust factory CCC numbers either. Just one full holding tank would put us over our GVWR. A higher CCC is a good idea and may also indicate a stronger frame.

Note that for towing a TT, the payload capacity of the tow vehicle is the important number, not "towing capacity". I recommend taking your TV to a scale with a full tank of fuel and loaded up as you would for a camping trip (including all pets & passengers) and then subtract that from the GVWR on the door pillar sticker. That way you will have an exact number to go by and have left over for the tongue weight of a TT.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
My wife doesn't pack for a trip she packs for the season. I asked her tonight "why do we have two cases of water (24 bottles each) in the trailer"? Her answer, "so I don't have to put another one in the for the trip we're taking AFTER the next trip". We went from a 23' to a 32.5' trailer and in a month she's filled all the empty space.

But that's my wife too. Like, it's summer and we are camping near a desert, why are you carrying 5 heavy winter jackets? And the RV have closet, why are you carrying a big suitcase?

Hey, when did you marry my wife? Sounds just like her. We could pack for a holiday weekend and she’s packing like it’s a month long trip!

Lol!

I hope not! There is no more room in the trailer for that trip!!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
2edgesword wrote:

Lol!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
2edgesword wrote:

Lol!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
2edgesword wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer

chiefcamper
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Just a quick list off the top of my head.

8bag chairs (throughout compartments)

Front storage....
Hammock and stand
Small folding table
Medium folding table
Flagpole and flag
Fogger
Fold up camp chair
Bag of tools
Box of lights and small ext cords and outside timer

Charcoal Grille
Small dorm fridge
8X20 outdoor mat
(inside by front door)

Rear storage.....
Small propane grille (w/lava rocks)
2 burner propane camp stove
4-1lb propane bottles
Pop up garbage can
Tripod for campfire grilling
Propane griddle
(Now that I think of it another small gas grille w/no lava rocks) LOL
Enough wood blocks to level out on the side of a mountain
Sewer hose support
Extra 30A cord, water hose and cable
Potable fold up hammock
Various out door carpets
Fire starting container
Charcoal and charcoal chimney

Under couch.....
Horseshoes
1gallon vacuum
Electric griddle
Cutting board
Box of garbage bags
Swiffer and sweeper
Broom and dust pan
Outside camper welcome sign
Various odds and ends

3 TV’s

Kitchen.....
Enough cooking utensils for an army
Toaster
Coffee maker

Bedroom.....
Projector
Ladder golf
Washer game
Bocce ball game

And then all the extra blankets and sheets as well as towels, both bathrooms and pool.

Not too mention all the stuff we pack for a trip. Like food, drinks, clothes, DVD’s and beer!

Great now I need to go through all my junk!!!!

Were you in my camper? I know they are keyed the same but really! 🙂
2021 Jayco NorthPoint 382FLRB
2018 Ram 3500HD SRW 6.4L Hemi
2022 Ram 3500HD DRW Cummins HO, Max Tow (on order)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick list off the top of my head.

8bag chairs (throughout compartments)

Front storage....
Hammock and stand
Small folding table
Medium folding table
Flagpole and flag
Fogger
Fold up camp chair
Bag of tools
Box of lights and small ext cords and outside timer

Charcoal Grille
Small dorm fridge
8X20 outdoor mat
(inside by front door)

Rear storage.....
Small propane grille (w/lava rocks)
2 burner propane camp stove
4-1lb propane bottles
Pop up garbage can
Tripod for campfire grilling
Propane griddle
(Now that I think of it another small gas grille w/no lava rocks) LOL
Enough wood blocks to level out on the side of a mountain
Sewer hose support
Extra 30A cord, water hose and cable
Potable fold up hammock
Various out door carpets
Fire starting container
Charcoal and charcoal chimney

Under couch.....
Horseshoes
1gallon vacuum
Electric griddle
Cutting board
Box of garbage bags
Swiffer and sweeper
Broom and dust pan
Outside camper welcome sign
Various odds and ends

3 TV’s

Kitchen.....
Enough cooking utensils for an army
Toaster
Coffee maker

Bedroom.....
Projector
Ladder golf
Washer game
Bocce ball game

And then all the extra blankets and sheets as well as towels, both bathrooms and pool.

Not too mention all the stuff we pack for a trip. Like food, drinks, clothes, DVD’s and beer!

Great now I need to go through all my junk!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
So what your saying is I don’t need to carry a full size steel hammock stand and hammock, 8 bag chairs or the complete horseshoe set I have been carrying around for the last 10 years?!!! LOL

What happens on the next trip if I want to play horseshoes with an audience and then have a place to nap afterwards?!

As long as you can still access your bed, kitchen and toilet inside your rig, lol.

NO, NO! You go out to the first and closest WalMart and buy new ones! (more weight again!) :S

Lol, that's stove, utencils, tent, bed, pots and portalet.

No wonder some people here want to tow something more at the back of their trailer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
So what your saying is I don’t need to carry a full size steel hammock stand and hammock, 8 bag chairs or the complete horseshoe set I have been carrying around for the last 10 years?!!! LOL

What happens on the next trip if I want to play horseshoes with an audience and then have a place to nap afterwards?!

As long as you can still access your bed, kitchen and toilet inside your rig, lol.

NO, NO! You go out to the first and closest WalMart and buy new ones! (more weight again!) :S

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is