cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone dolly towing a Mazda CX-5?

trailerbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 CX-5 FWD only (not AWD) with an automatic tranny that I would like to dolly tow behind my class A. Wondering whether to look for an articulating or non-articulating dolly. Steering wheel does not lock but I suppose it could be tied down if need be. Your personal experiences/feelings will be appreciated. Also any other hints, ie, plastic fenders, 12 inch wheels vs. 14's 15's etc.

Anyone towing a vehicle (any make/model) equipped with electronic steering experience any problems with the electronic steering actuator caused from towing on a dolly?

BTW- Dolly will have brakes, probably surge so I don't have to mess with running wires and such. (That will be another discussion)

Sorry,- should be Dinghy Towing I think - moderator pls move if wrong.
1 REPLY 1

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my wife's 2016 FWD CX5 on an Acme tow dolly. I only did that for four trips , but it was almost 6,000 miles on those trips. On the first trip of only about 70 miles, I went to a Harbor Freight store and bought the hardware I needed to adapt their tie down chains to run through the wheels on the CX 5 and eliminate having to attach the chains to the bottom of the vehicle somewhere.

When we went looking to buy a new vehicle for my wife, we knew we were going to tow it behind our MH. I wasn't concerned that the Mazda had to be towed on a dolly, since I had read on here and other sites that it was no big deal using a dolly. In hindsight (always 20/20) we should have bought something that was 4 wheels down towable.

There weren't any issues or problems with the Mazda going on or off the dolly, or while travelling. I just decided dolly towing wasn't for me and now tow an F150 4 wheels down.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect