Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New TV old set up with pictures and question

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys
long time no see.
So I got a newer tow vehicle and thought the setup would need to be changed but when I hooked up, it looked ok.

Please let me know what you think. I drove it for half hour at 60 and it felt ok.

My previous truck was 4x4 this one is not.

17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
I'm no expert on this but based on what I've read you should measure the front and rear of the truck (ground to top edge of wheel well) before and after hitching up. I don't know the exact specs but I would think you don't want the rear to squat more than about 1.0 ~ 1.5 inches and the front to raise any more than that. If the differences are within that range you know the weight distribution is going its thing.

Not to pick on you, but you're not even close.

The only "squat" to be concerned with is on the FRONT of the truck. Trailer tongue weight causes the front end of the truck to rise, because weight is being levered/"teeter-tottered" off the front axle.

A weight distribution hitch's primary purpose is to push the front end back down, returning most, if not all, of that weight back to the front wheels so that they can steer and brake effectively.

How much to return has changed over the years. Long ago, you were looking for "even squat" front and rear. However, modern 4x4 pickup trucks ride on bump stops at normal ride height, so you can't push them down any further than normal ride height.

Conventional wisdom up until recently has been to return the front end to original ride height, or as close as you can get without going over. Too much pressure on the front will cause suspension damage due to the aforementioned bump stops.

Lately, the owner's manuals have been recommending returning the front end HALFWAY back to original ride height.

Rear squat is not a concern.

Not to nit pick, but what exactly do you mean by "modern trucks ride on bump stops at normal ride height?" I need to see this. Bump stops are still bump stops, they haven't changed with these new fandangled trucks. If yer hitin the bump stops, you got a serious load on board or you just caught some air!

To the OP....tows well, isn't dragging hind end or nose up, it's good. Too much thinking not enough towing! Enjoy the trip (and the new truck, looks sharp!)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
I am using an 11 year old Equal-i-zer if that matters.

My old truck was a 2004 F150 4x4

the new truck is a 2013 RWD

in these photo's the truck and camper are both empty.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
From looking at the picture it looks like you may have a little to much weight being put on the front end of your truck. You want a little squat on the rear, less say 1 to 1-1/2 inch. There,s an article I found on another form talking about the use of WDH's. The article talks about the over use by applying to much weight to the trailer axle's just adjusting the bars tight, thus adding weight to the trailers axles. I'm just saying you might want to un-hock and do some pre measuring of the front of the truck to the ground before and after dropping the weight of the trailer on the ball. But if your happy with the setup I wouldn't change a thing.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
2edgesword wrote:
I'm no expert on this but based on what I've read you should measure the front and rear of the truck (ground to top edge of wheel well) before and after hitching up. I don't know the exact specs but I would think you don't want the rear to squat more than about 1.0 ~ 1.5 inches and the front to raise any more than that. If the differences are within that range you know the weight distribution is going its thing.

Not to pick on you, but you're not even close.

The only "squat" to be concerned with is on the FRONT of the truck. Trailer tongue weight causes the front end of the truck to rise, because weight is being levered/"teeter-tottered" off the front axle.

A weight distribution hitch's primary purpose is to push the front end back down, returning most, if not all, of that weight back to the front wheels so that they can steer and brake effectively.

How much to return has changed over the years. Long ago, you were looking for "even squat" front and rear. However, modern 4x4 pickup trucks ride on bump stops at normal ride height, so you can't push them down any further than normal ride height.

Conventional wisdom up until recently has been to return the front end to original ride height, or as close as you can get without going over. Too much pressure on the front will cause suspension damage due to the aforementioned bump stops.

Lately, the owner's manuals have been recommending returning the front end HALFWAY back to original ride height.

Rear squat is not a concern.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it appears nose high due to how the front of the frame angles up to the trailer body.

It looks good to me. if it tows good then your all set!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
As said, maybe a little nose high on the trailer, but not bad at all. ,,if it tow ok with no sway I'd run it. As also said, try going down one hole on the shank and see how that looks
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
1kennyOG wrote:

I would measure to be sure, but it looks like the trailer nose is high, not good.
drop the hitch head down or redistribute the weight inside

that may require more wd bar loading too
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Kenny, I would go camping if I were you. Looks good. How does it handle? Good luck,Bill

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If it drives good, you're good. It looks good to me.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks slightly nose-high but an adjustment might make it very nose low.
I would measure it and see if you can lower the front one hole.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
http://i63.tinypic.com/30vd4c3.jpg

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer