cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar kit

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
I getting a Fury 3110 and it will be solar ready. So......I guess I'd need to buy some solar panel if I wanted to use it. I haven't done much research on it yet as it will,have a generator. Any info would be appreciated
21 REPLIES 21

Bedlam
My camper has three Zamp 160w panels and the 30A controller. It works well.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
AM Solar
Bob

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I noted it had two batterys today and a tray for more if you want. It does have the junction box on the roof so I would just need to install panels

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a 30 amp controller, then you are likely prepped for roof panels (wiring likely in a junction box on your roof). That and the fact you have an inverter already seems to indicate that. Make sure you have plenty of AMP Hours in your batteries and find out what kind of panels you want and you should be good to go boondocking for as long as your tanks hold out. If in doubt, call the manufacture of the trailer and ask exactly what the package you describe has with it.

Here's a video to get you started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPafBzIqVs

3 parts should give you a bit more info than you have now. Google RV solar and watch as many videos as you can and you will get the questions you should be asking yourself about how you want to camp to find the answers you'll need to plan your solar setup.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am confused the trailer I'm getting has the super solar package and it has a Zamp ZS-30A solar charge controller mounted inside the unit. I cannot find any plug in on the outside of the unit to,plug the panels in-could be on the roof I guess.

It also has a switch in the bed room for a inverter that said if LED is on inverter is on, if LED off then inverter is off. What's is this about?

Any info would be appreciated on both issues.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google RV solar. There are a ton of very good videos on solar system installs, and right sizing for your needs. Most of the solar ready systems are just a plus and wiring for 10 amp flexible or suitcase systems to trickle charge your house battery. If that's all you're looking for they're fine. If your a boondocker and looking for more, you'll likely want to go with fixed panels on the roof and upgrading your battery bank to more amp hours to run for an extended period.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
Why does that not surprise me. I'll guess I'll to fix that. I'm thinking of getting a inverter and running off the battery with a couple of 120 outlets to run stuff on for,short periods without running the generator.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Solar ready does not usually include a controller.

SWO Vette wrote:
That's nice to know. I'll have to ask about that. If it doesn't then I'd probably need to get a charge controller and put it in line.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
That's nice to know. I'll have to ask about that. If it doesn't then I'd probably need to get a charge controller and put it in line.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
on many "solar ready" means they put a plug on the side that's attached to the battery. You just plug in a panel to that plug, no charge controller, etc. "Real" solar ready means they've run wire from the roof to a location for the charge controller and wire down to the battery location. On my new Wildcat there's a junction box on the roof and a tag on the bathroom wall marking the charge controller location.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even more reason for a permanent fixed installation. You don't want the panels to go "walk about".

SWO Vette wrote:
I'd just use it to keep battery up when I'm gone on a day trip.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just use it to keep battery up when I'm gone on a day trip. Around here you have to use a generator to run the AC if you are going to use it in summer. On my current trailer all the battery does is keep the fridge running, water pump and heater going. If I had kept it I was going to get a inverter and wire it in so I could have a dedicated plug that would run a tv for,short periods. Other than charging the battery I can't see a great benefit as none of the outlets work when not in shore power.

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a dokio 100 watt suitcase and clinko adapter plug off amazon. i used it on a 1 week trip over the 4th, worked fine, easy to move around as the sun moves, mostly propped it up between the propane tanks and front of the trailer. hard to say how much it charged the batteries, but combined with some occasional generator use, never ran out of battery power, including watching movies and kids on the ps4 pretty much every day.seems like a nice way to top off the batts for a minimal investment.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)