Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess "Tiger" is the tow vehicle.

#3. Two spare tires? whatever for? Canada is not a 3rd world country!
#52. There is no ferry between Chicken Alaska and Dawson City, Yukon. Those two locations are over 100 miles apart over a mountain range. There is, however, a ferry over the Yukon River at Dawson City.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To muddy the waters a bit perhaps...regarding distracted driving in BC....anything, A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G a driver does other than having hands on wheel is pretty much an offense. Having a coffee cup or a sandwich in hand, doing anything on the GPS controls, using a cel or E device. I am trying stress..there is nothing that is not a distraction except hands on the wheel and eyes ahead.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/trans........fety-rules-and-consequences/distractions

The cop sheet...http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cycp-cpcj/dd-dv/index-eng.htm

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a very comprehensive list but to reiterate an earlier point, Canada (including BC, Alberta, YT) is not a 3rd world country.

Based on my last trip (entering in MT and leaving at Beaver Creek), I'd agree that one should start looking to refuel at the 1/2 tank mark, but driving through Canada (on the main roads anyway) isn't the challenge it was in 1976. At that point, the road that is now a roadside attraction ("Turn here to see portions of the old Alaska-Canada highway") was the road to take and things were much different.

In May of '18, the biggest challenge (driving a SUV, not an RV) was determining which motel to book for the night.

All FWIW.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Those are pretty good notes. I don't think there's any legal reason to need to avoid carrying ammunition for guns you don't have with you through Canada (subject to the 5000 round limit), assuming it's properly declared etc., though it may well make them more likely to search your vehicle at the border--as they have every right to do in any case. Many people do this on the way to Alaska if they have a handgun shipped separately there in care of a gun dealer.

Canadian regulations are unclear on this. This is one statement "Within the prescribed limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition." The other is the reference to 5,000 on the same website. I have carried, and will carry this year, only 200 shotgun shells which fit the 2 shotguns I will be using in Alaska to hunt birds with (one is a 28 gauge which might be hard to find in Tok). In 2005, I shipped a handgun to Tok and bought ammo there for it and left all of it with my Alaskan friend before I dropped by handgun at an FFL in Tok to ship it to my FFL home. I am not shipping a handgun this year.

Declaring ammo to fit a handgun will put them on edge. With the availablity of ammo almost as soon as you enter Alaska, I don't see the risk being worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add a cent to the discussion.....Gun threads have been discussed ad infinitum, so won't really discuss that other than to note that ammo for all common calibers is available in Alaska.

One might not find 16 ga SSG or Kynoch solids on the shelf in Tok or Gustavus or Venetie....but generally, ammo is readily available even pretty far from the population centers.

IMNSHO, it's not worth the hassle and "risk of irritating" factor to bring ammo into/through Canada (particularly handgun-suitable ammo) when it is available in Alaska.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well unless bird hunting, why in the ______would you need to bring more than a box or 2 of any ammo? Skeered bears will jump outta the woods at every turn to eat ya?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dilan, Sitka is not an Island, it is a town on Baranof Island.

Juneau is the only State capitol not reachable by road. If your leaving an RV there, how did you get it there?

I would add to the OP's list about entering Canada. If you are wearing sunglasses as you approach, leave them on until the CA Customs officer looks at you and then remove them while he is looking. I do this so they know I an not afraid to let him see my eyes up close. You eyes tell a lot about you emotions. Second is answer as much as possible with Yes and No. If he wants to yack he will let you know. Excessive talking and jokes generally alert the Officer to nervousness on your part.

Dimensional lumber is not firewood, it is kindling, if asked about firewood and you have only dimensional lumber tell the Officer yes dimensional lumber in X cabinet and here is the key.

They are really cool guys that have a very tough job and have to deal with all sorts of people, treat them nice and have everything you can think of handy. I your wife is like mine, remind her to keep quiet and look at the Officer but don't answer for you and only talk if addressed.

A nice touch is to say thanks when he waves you on through.

* This post was edited 06/23/19 02:27pm by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster backplates

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

To add a cent to the discussion.....Gun threads have been discussed ad infinitum, so won't really discuss that other than to note that ammo for all common calibers is available in Alaska.

One might not find 16 ga SSG or Kynoch solids on the shelf in Tok or Gustavus or Venetie....but generally, ammo is readily available even pretty far from the population centers.

IMNSHO, it's not worth the hassle and "risk of irritating" factor to bring ammo into/through Canada (particularly handgun-suitable ammo) when it is available in Alaska.

Very true. There is so much ammo at the 'Three Bears Outpost' in TOK that I thought I was in a Cabela's store. Numerous weights available for hundreds of calibers of handguns, rifles, & shotguns. No worries about finding ammo to fit most any firearm in Alaska.

Lakeside

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Dilan, Sitka is not an Island, it is a town on Baranof Island.

Juneau is the only State capitol not reachable by road. If your leaving an RV there, how did you get it there?

I would add to the OP's list about entering Canada. If you are wearing sunglasses as you approach, leave them on until the CA Customs officer looks at you and then remove them while he is looking. I do this so they know I an not afraid to let him see my eyes up close. You eyes tell a lot about you emotions. Second is answer as much as possible with Yes and No. If he wants to yack he will let you know. Excessive talking and jokes generally alert the Officer to nervousness on your part.

Dimensional lumber is not firewood, it is kindling, if asked about firewood and you have only dimensional lumber tell the Officer yes dimensional lumber in X cabinet and here is the key.

They are really cool guys that have a very tough job and have to deal with all sorts of people, treat them nice and have everything you can think of handy. I your wife is like mine, remind her to keep quiet and look at the Officer but don't answer for you and only talk if addressed.

A nice touch is to say thanks when he waves you on through.

Good points and very well said.
Thanks

Lakeside

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

In May of '18, the biggest challenge (driving a SUV, not an RV) was determining which motel to book for the night.

All FWIW.

Next year, 2020 I plan to do the drive in an SUV also. I had wondered about the availability of motels and if you need to make prior reservations. I usually don't make reservations, because when you stop to look at stuff during the day you really don't want to be rushed to get to the motel. But, I don't want to arrive at 5:00 and no rooms available. Any advice is appreciated,
thanks, Geo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS