cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator vs solar power

NonnaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2018 Jayco Hummingbird is wired for solar power. Should we buy a solar generator or skip the solar, park in the shade and by a gas generator?
Will it charge our battery so we can turn it off during "quiet times" and still have power?
Which way is cheaper?

โš Please see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
82 REPLIES 82

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
I think Pnichols meant - when propane furnace fails. Not really an emergency for most people, can be easily remedied with propane heater. I wouldn't be able to sleep with furnace cycling, anyway. Thick duvet is better - never fails ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'd point out that most RV's come with 3 back up blue flame heaters. Otherwise known as a cook top propane stove. Not recommended for long term use--but it keeps you from freezing, so long as there is propane in the tank.

With the newer battery chemistries, solar could run an air conditioner. Some one is selling 250 watt used panels for $35 usd. $225 for a 500 watt system. Cover the roof and sides with panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mar-d-mar
Explorer
Explorer
As someone trying to learn about whether I need to get solar or a portable generator, thanks for the healthy discussion. And also the belly laugh at the end!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
we all feeeze too death

Okay everyone listen up. DON"T TURN THAT SOLAR OFF! :B

MrWizard
we all feeeze too death
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come on, tell us what happens after you turn the solar off. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should've said that title was (unintentionally) misleading, not confusing. Though it was probably both. As it often happens when people are asking about things they don't know about and, what's worse, not trying to understand.
Will solar generator charge their battery (FOR WHAT USE?), and will they have a power after they "turn it off".
I refuse to answer on what happens after you turn the solar off ๐Ÿ™‚

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Let it be only for something you cannot be blamed for.

Like South BC weather and forests that won't let you live off solar most of the time.

When environment and habits are different, different methods should apply.

The OP doesn't know much (if anything at all) about battery charging, generators or solar panels, otherwise he/she wouldn't have asked about "solar generators", not to mention the confusing title "Generator vs solar".

To me, "generator vs solar" wasn't confusing because before we got our solar, we relied entirely on our generator to recharge our batteries when dry camping. Now we rarely have to use the genny.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:

Like South BC weather and forests that won't let you live off solar most of the time.

When environment and habits are different, different methods should apply.

The OP doesn't know much (if anything at all) about battery charging, generators or solar panels, otherwise he/she wouldn't have asked about "solar generators", not to mention the confusing title "Generator vs solar".

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this YouTube on Micro-Air Easy Start that allows you to use AC with one generator as opposed to two pigtailed together or one huge one. Worth checking out.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil is right! Redundancy is always a good thing when away from civilization. There are no fixed rules for how much is enough--everyone has his own situations to cover for.

At the very least, don't end up having to come home early and disappoint the DW and kids, because YOU didn't think ahead enough. ๐Ÿ˜ž

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP's Jayco Hummingbird is an ultra light trailer.

But IMHO the Boy Scout approach should be the same whether it be a trailer, a 5'er, or a MH: To help maintain the full self-containment capability that it probably came with while out on RV trips containing some camping without hookups - and the unexpected happens - a Plan B consisting of a generator to convert the entire RV to all-electric - above what solar can provide - can be a trip-saving thing.

However, that's just my thinking based on our sometimes taking RV trips of many thousands of miles requiring the flexibility to reliably camp in both hookup and non-hookup places.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you choose to install both an onboard tank, and a built-in generator in a 5th wheel :). Probably very few of them with this option from the factory, I haven't seen any yet, but possible, in theory. Must accept the consequences then.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your fifth wheel has both an onboard tank, and a built-in generator. Just sayin.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your propane system is more complicated. In trailers and 5-ers there are no built-in tanks or onboard generators.