cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tv and dvd player has no co-ax input

TerrysMisty
Explorer
Explorer
New TV and new Blu-ray/DVD player have no Co-ax connections. Of course, RV is all Co-ax. Question is...How can I connect the co-ax input to either a HDMI or LAN input of above???

If Mommie ain't happy, no one is happy!!!
32 REPLIES 32

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that a "TV" with no tuner is not a "TV."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:
OTA has better picture then Satellite or cable since it has no compression. Calling a TV without a tuner a TV is false marketing.

OTA digital TV very much has compression (MPEG-2 or H.264 for video, AAC for audio), though it may very well be less compressed than some cable and especially satellite broadcasts. The bitrate of a digital TV channel is only somewhere around 1.2% of what would be required to carry an actual uncompressed HDTV (1080p30 or 1080i60) signal.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except it can get content from WIFI and USB.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My son bought a new 40โ€ Visio TV right after Christmas. It has a tuner.

Itโ€™s like saying you bought a radio with rca,aux and Bluetooth, but it has no tuner! Then All you bought was a set of speakers!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
OTA has better picture then Satellite or cable since it has no compression. Calling a TV without a tuner a TV is false marketing.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think broadcast TV will ever end. The reason is the emergency broadcast system. In the event of a disaster whether it be nuclear or natural it will be easier to get broadcast stations back on the air then to restore cable infrastructure and possibly Satellite Television. For over-the-air all you need is a television with a tuner, a wire coat hanger to Bend into the proper shape for an antenna and a source for power.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TVs w/o tuners makes me wonder about the future of OTA transmission. The FCC has taken a number of steps to protect local TV stations. Satellites locals is one. The change from SD to HD prompted higher better coverage because the higher frequency channels had better quality but less range.

I'm not suggesting that the protection for local TV stations won't exist in the future but could the day arrive when they shut down their OTA towers?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m glad I found this thread, we have been talking about getting both a new tv for the house and the camper. I cannot get cable at home and was not happy with satellite, so we went back to antenna.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Vizio took tuners out of there tv's a couple of years ago claiming no one used them.

According to their website, all Vizio smart TVs have tuners.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Vizio took tuners out of there tv's a couple of years ago claiming no one used them.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm learning a lot on this thread! TY!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it back and get a television. That's what you really need. While you can buy a converter box, it's a poor substitute for a television.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Call it what you will, but a screen that has sound, WIFI, several microprocessors, various types of inputs including USB and network and is controlled by a complex remote control is more than a monitor.

Nope! its a monitor! plain and simple. look up the definition.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
In 2006 the government mandated that all televisions/tv's sold must have a tuner period. If it doesn't it is not a tv. If it doesn't have an antenna connection on the back it doesn't have a tuner and cannot legally be called a television.

If your "tv" doesn't have a coax connection on the back, you will need to return it and get a real tv or purchase a stand alone tv tuner to connect between it and the antenna coax.

The link below explains what is going on.

tv-with-no-tuner

From the link:

Make sure the word โ€œTVโ€ is in the product title, as opposed to โ€œDisplayโ€, โ€œHome Theater Displayโ€, or โ€œMonitorโ€. TVs must contain a broadcast TV tuner, by Federal law!

In the TV specs, make sure it has an antenna, โ€œRFโ€, coax, or cable TV input. Note, not all TVs with this input will list it. So, if you see this input, youโ€™re good. If you donโ€™t see it, you may or may not be good.

Find a photo of the TVโ€™s rear panel (Amazon sometimes has these) and make sure it has the coax round connector like the one shown here: (picture omitted) Note that you are looking for a single round connector, not the set of two or more colored round connectors.

Be extra careful when purchasing a Vizio-branded TV.