cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too much money for overnight stay!

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
So I was considering booking an overnight stay near my sister's wedding reception which is in the afternoon. So I wouldn't have to drive so far afterwards. I called two places. They both had room. I explained that I only needed an overnight place to sleep and would not use any of their facilities; could I please checkin early so I can make the reception?

Both said no and I asked them to be flexible but they would not budge. I only wanted them to let me come at 11:00 instead of their 3:00 checkin time.

Oh well; their loss. I'll keep my $50 and spend it elsewhere. And I'll remember those campgrounds and NEVER stay there.
David Kojen
82 REPLIES 82

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I guess we've had enough fun for one thread.

Next up... Cleaning up after your dog.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi SD,

It was prior to 1954. Yes, they were mostly "mom and pop" operations. But then--there are lots of RV parks that fit such a description.

I've known to come in late (past 11 pm) and leave early (6 am). If the office isn't open I stuff an envelope as best as I can into the door for the office.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Before my parents had an RV, my father would routinely go to motels when we were stopping for the night and negotiate a lower price.

He was quite often successful as we would drive until about 8:30. That meant the motel was unlikely to fill the room, so they were willing to be flexible on pricing.
And how many years ago was that? Things have changed. Most hotels are not one off family affairs. Often they have corporate ownership with rules regarding pricing. Desk clerks are often employees with little to no ability to offer pricing discounts. I don't empower my staff to offer discounts and I am far from alone in this regard. It creates a whole other world of problems. Things like it may lead to customer dis-satisfaction, an overall decline in profitability, accounting issues, employee trust issues etc. etc. Not as easy or clear cut as you make it out to be.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I very, very seldom make reservations. I show up and if I show up early, they find a site that's vacant and put me in it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Before my parents had an RV, my father would routinely go to motels when we were stopping for the night and negotiate a lower price.

He was quite often successful as we would drive until about 8:30. That meant the motel was unlikely to fill the room, so they were willing to be flexible on pricing.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my opinion, it never hurts to ask and base a decision on what the answer is.
The OP did just that. No need to harsh on him nor the park owner.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
My question is....why would the moderator allow this to stay posted? This is a rude comment and certainly not the way I read the OP.

jplante4 wrote:
And SoundGuy is always a little crabby ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph Cramden wrote:
What?????? Soundguy crabby????? Well I never lol.

Nah ... trust me, I'm a lovely fella! :W Just callin' it like it is - these parks the OP spoke to wouldn't tell him what he wanted to hear so he came here to whine about it. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tdiller wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
Most RV parks have an 11:00 AM checkout time so I don't think allowing early arrival is asking too much. It's not as though they have to clean the site and change the linens and towels. I agree with the OP.

Last weekend at the state park I stayed at checkout time was 2:30 PM

PA state parks have a 3PM checkout and most operate on the honesty system with no onsite presence such as a manned gate. Maybe a host or two. It works quite well.

I have arrived however after 3 PM a few times, to find my site still occupied by ******** who did not see what the big deal was, and once to my reserved site occupied with the people nowhere to be found. You always are going to have the self centered morons.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Most RV parks have an 11:00 AM checkout time so I don't think allowing early arrival is asking too much. It's not as though they have to clean the site and change the linens and towels. I agree with the OP.

Last weekend at the state park I stayed at checkout time was 2:30 PM

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
My question is....why would the moderator allow this to stay posted? This is a rude comment and certainly not the way I read the OP.

I haven't received any complaints about this thread. See the "Notify Moderator" button at the top? That's what it's for.

Certainly this thread is no worse than some in recent history. And SoundGuy is always a little crabby ๐Ÿ™‚

What?????? Soundguy crabby????? Well I never lol.

One thing this forum is not is "over moderated" like a few select manufacurer specific boards,which will remain nameless. Thats a good thing IMO as I dont think an RV forum has many 13 yr olds as members if any. Maybe get a thicker skin and not be so sensitive. If this forum has a fault its a distinct lack of "sense of humor" but that seems to be the norm with most.

I was on one forum where you just know they had a whole gaggle of wanna be mods, whose daily routine was hitting the notify moderator button for every little thing they considered insesnsitive, mean, or just did not agree with their outlook.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
mockturtle wrote:
Of course not, you've rented that site for a specific period of time
That was my point. From 3:00 PM to 11:00 am is eight hours. From 11:00 AM to 7:00 AM is also eight hours. You're not using any more resources. :R

Since the park has no way to know if he legitimately is going to not use the facilities, the park needs to deploy staff (ie: more resources) to ensure people wanting special treatment live by the rules they negotiated.

Then we don't know if they were full in which case, they might not be able to rent that site the night before...losing the resource of a rent-able site.

So yeah, he is changing the resource needs of the park.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:

I haven't received any complaints about this thread. See the "Notify Moderator" button at the top? That's what it's for.

Certainly this thread is no worse than some in recent history. And SoundGuy is always a little crabby ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
solismaris wrote:
I only wanted them to let me come at 11:00 instead of their 3:00 checkin time.

Oh well; their loss. I'll keep my $50 and spend it elsewhere. And I'll remember those campgrounds and NEVER stay there.

No doubt the management / owners of these businesses are shaking in their boots and have advised their accountants to make preparations for closing down these businesses, all because "Mr I'm Special" has publicly declared he will in future "NEVER stay there". :S

Rules only exist in society because too many insist on ignorant behaviour, otherwise in a perfect world where everyone exercises a little common sense we wouldn't have to have any. ๐Ÿ˜‰ There's nothing wrong with your original request, heck many of us have probably asked the same question at one time or another, the problem is your ignorant reaction when you didn't get the answer you wanted. :R Camping may be an activity for all of us who participate in it but it's a business for those owning / operating them and every well run business that expects to remain in business over the long term operates under a set of well defined rules. Don't like those rules? - then move on, no one is forcing you stay, but whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere. ๐Ÿ˜ž

My question is....why would the moderator allow this to stay posted? This is a rude comment and certainly not the way I read the OP. Rules exist in society, not business. Business is a negotiation. If you own a business and fail to be flexible, you will fail. I agree with the OP, they could have worked with the dude. If NO ONE is in the site and you want to arrive early, what is the big deal. Part of the negotiation could have been a monetary adjustment to the site price to allow for early check in if the site is empty. If it is filled, who cares. Even if it is, check out is at 11 A.M. most places, so it would be empty for cleaning between 11 and 3 anyway.

How many of us have asked for late check out? I have. The Gunnison KOA was so friendly. I asked if someone needed my site as I was waiting for a site up the road. She checked, said no one coming and I could stay until 1:00. Nice people. I gave them $20 for being to nice to my family. Negotiation.
It's been my experience that most retail businesses ( which RV parks certainly are) do not negotiate as a general rule. You don't negotiate the price of your cart of groceries. You don't negotiate the hours a restaurant is open. Most of the time you decide whether or not the price and the terms of service fit your needs and then you either make the purchase or not. You don't get mad about it. You don't post rants that the Burger Doodle closes at midnight, doesn't have lamb chops on the menu and won't serve breakfast after 11 AM. and then follow it up with an unsubstantiated slam that everyone thinks the Burger Doodle is "trashy". You just either find another place to eat or find a way to make do with their menu and hours.

Where can I find a Burger Doodle? Ill give them a try even if they are trashy and dont have Baa Baa Blacksheep ground up into a tasty juicy patty.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at a park recently where we had one site for two nights, and then a different site for 8 nights. Check-out was 11:00 am and check-in was 3:00 pm. I asked how they wanted me to work the site swap, and they said just come to the office as soon as I saw the other folks leave and they would do the paperwork. The other folks left about 10 minutes before 11:00, so I scooted right over to the office and told them. They immediately radioed a work camper to check/clean the site, and then did the check-out/check-in on their system and gave me an updated hang tag for the toad. I didn't notice until later that the receipt showed a 4 hour early check-in fee of $20 for the new site, with the fee credited back as a "courtesy discount". I assume this was simply the way their booking system works, since there was never any mention of the fee while I was making the site switch.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate