cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your customs experiences re-entering the US from Canada?

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
Have they confiscated or assessed duties on stuff you've brought back?
Craig
63 REPLIES 63

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
lakeside013104 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
obgraham wrote:
I never worry about the odd banana or meat they grab at the border. Just give it up.
It makes the agent's job easier, when he/she goes to the supervisor at the end of the shift and says "look, I grabbed a lime, 2 bananas and a bag of dog food -- keeping America safe!"

Not to mention the savvy agent can put himself together a decent free lunch on a good day. Who was it that said no such thing as a free lunch?

CBP Supervisors could care less if a CBP Officer seized any fruits or vegetables or seized a truck load. The Supervisor is more concerned whether or not all his Officers ended their shift in as healthy a condition as when they started their shift so that the Officer can return to their family safe and sound at the end of the day. And the Supervisors are concerned that no terrorists or weapons of mass destruction were allowed entry into the USA.

CBP Officers are responsible for enforcing laws for 40 other agencies. USDA is just one of those agencies. I wonder how our citrus framers would feel if a CBP Officer allowed into this country a piece of citrus fruit that was infected with the citrus canker virus. And how would that Officer or any other reasonable citizen of this country would feel if that one piece of fruit that was allowed in, infected the entire citrus industry and wiped out a multi-billion dollar industry and forced many workers into the unemployment line.

There are reasons CBP Officers seize banned products at our borders and I assure you it is not to provide food for their meals. USDA mandates that all seized USDA items be destroyed.

Something to think about. This IS how CBP helps keep America safe.

Lakeside

You have got to be kidding me.

Another thing to think about is the distinct lack of sense of humor on these boards. Some of you people really need to untwist your underwear.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Early 2000s with our Fifth wheel, asked by CPB agent for our License plate number.
Didn't know it and jumped out to read it. Impossible to get too.
She knew our address and names, from her comments specifically referencing the town where we live. Came back through at Buffalo an asked bout fruits etc but no check.
2005, I think,went to Canada with our duallie with hitch still in bed. Asked where we were going and for how long.
Way back our Border Patrol the guy was an ah. He was rude and cruel to my wife who was driving and me. Consequencies be hanged. My wife was ready to cry. I started to open the door and my wife grabbed me so hard it hurt my wrist.
What he did was abuse. If it had been my Daughter it would have been child abuse.
For several years wife would not go back to Canada. We started to once, and near Detroit she started to cry and break down over thee thought of going though that again.
Entering through Alberta from the Indian Nation, in our 2000 Dodge p/u. CBP pulled everything out our our suitcases and bags, looking for guns. Disabled Military plate and NRA Sticker. It took us near an hour to put things back together and twice we were told to hurry up and leave.
All the crossings or the few we made the Canadians were very very friendly.
Coming back has been the problem. I think one time they took some apples whcih was no biggie.
We made several friends, in Ontario, one reason being, we felt welcomed into the Country and at ease.
We hven't been back in our Motorhome because at the Bridge from Michigan. we are concerned about clearances and getting into the tight lane. Plus while waiting to enter in our toads we noticed every Mh was opened up and lengthy inspection.
So last times we parked in Port Huron KOA and crossed.
We definatly weant to go back to a central location where we can shop for antiques and do a lot of fishing and sight seeing. But she is reluctant.
Wife is still scarred from the incident with our BP.
A

Sorry you had to experience this rudeness. There is a sign beside the booth that you enter at. It states that you will be treated with respect and dignity. If at any time you feel you have been abused, wait until the Officer has released you, then ask where you can park to go inside to speak with a Supervisor.

You don't even need to know the Officer's name that was rude to you. The inspection is recorded and the Supervisor can review it to see how you were treated.

You NEVER need to fear crossing the border. 99% of the CPB Officers are courteous and professional. I can say that every Officer has a 'bad' day now and then or might have had a dangerous or a stressful encounter just prior to your arrival, but that is NEVER an excuse to treat you the way you were treated.

If I was there and saw a fellow Officer treating a traveler like you said you were treated, I would intervene, pull the Officer to a private spot and counsel that Officer.

I apologize for ALL the good Officers, to you, for you having to go through that experience.

Lakeside

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
double post

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
obgraham wrote:
I never worry about the odd banana or meat they grab at the border. Just give it up.
It makes the agent's job easier, when he/she goes to the supervisor at the end of the shift and says "look, I grabbed a lime, 2 bananas and a bag of dog food -- keeping America safe!"

Not to mention the savvy agent can put himself together a decent free lunch on a good day. Who was it that said no such thing as a free lunch?

CBP Supervisors could care less if a CBP Officer seized any fruits or vegetables or seized a truck load. The Supervisor is more concerned whether or not all his Officers ended their shift in as healthy a condition as when they started their shift so that the Officer can return to their family safe and sound at the end of the day. And the Supervisors are concerned that no terrorists or weapons of mass destruction were allowed entry into the USA.

CBP Officers are responsible for enforcing laws for 40 other agencies. USDA is just one of those agencies. I wonder how our citrus framers would feel if a CBP Officer allowed into this country a piece of citrus fruit that was infected with the citrus canker virus. And how would that Officer or any other reasonable citizen of this country would feel if that one piece of fruit that was allowed in, infected the entire citrus industry and wiped out a multi-billion dollar industry and forced many workers into the unemployment line.

There are reasons CBP Officers seize banned products at our borders and I assure you it is not to provide food for their meals. USDA mandates that all seized USDA items be destroyed.

Something to think about. This IS how CBP helps keep America safe.

Lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
AKsilvereagle wrote:
Then the officer asked me what is my social security number, as I stated that with all due respect, I refuse to disclose the number due to potential crime deterrent and identity theft deterrent as federal law states that I have the right to safeguard my number, and if I am to be detained and not cleared by your agency by refusing to disclose my number I will feel obligated to provide the information under duress, as I am sure you have authorization to view my database which that number is clearly on file anyway...
Great overall post but please clarify this part. It would seem that he is just trying to verify who you are and already has or can get the SS number. So it would seem that withholding the number would have limited potential crime deterrent. And also that you understand your rights and helped to establish who your are without giving the SS number.

Thanks for the post.

To look at your question from another side; most likely the Officer already knows the answer to their question.

By asking that question AND gauging / observing the response from the party being asked the question, the Officer is gaining information from the subject's non-verbal responses, gestures, facial expressions, body language clues, and sincerely level of the subject.

All this information is used by the Officer to determine what his / her actions will be with regards to continuing the discussion further or choosing to release the subject into the USA without continued delay.

To further emphasize, a CBP Officer asks the same line of questions to hundreds, perhaps thousands of travelers. After that much communication with the traveling public, a CBP Officer has a general idea of what a normal and reasonable response to a question should be.

A reasonable response may include: the answer, the lack of an answer, the delay before the answer is given, the body clues given by a person who gives a sincere and truthful answer, too much eye contact or not enough, and the involuntary clues that a body gives if deception is in progress.

After talking with the traveling public, normal reactions and answers to questions asked usually fall within a bracket of 'what' is normal. The issues for the traveler comes when the answers fall outside of 'what' the Officer has experienced as normal. Then more inspection or questioning is likely.

Like what has already been mentioned, short simple and truthful answers to the questions asked is the best policy.

Lakeside

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
AKsilvereagle wrote:
Then the officer asked me what is my social security number, as I stated that with all due respect, I refuse to disclose the number due to potential crime deterrent and identity theft deterrent as federal law states that I have the right to safeguard my number, and if I am to be detained and not cleared by your agency by refusing to disclose my number I will feel obligated to provide the information under duress, as I am sure you have authorization to view my database which that number is clearly on file anyway...
Great overall post but please clarify this part. It would seem that he is just trying to verify who you are and already has or can get the SS number. So it would seem that withholding the number would have limited potential crime deterrent. And also that you understand your rights and helped to establish who your are without giving the SS number.

Thanks for the post.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:
If you are a US citizen, you don't have to answer any questions or consent to any searches. Sure, they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go. Don't unlock your phones for them either.

This statement is pretty misleading pertaining to crossing international borders upon re-entry to the United States as I will comment on this also......

As a United States citizen, you DO have the fundamental right NOT to answer any questions to any law enforcement agency within the United States, that is a given.

For a US citizen re-entering the United States, all that is required is satisfied official documentation of:

-Proof of Identity and -Proof of Citizenship

If any US citizen cannot provide the required documentation upon re-entering the United States, one would go thru additional screening measures UNTIL officials are satisfied of the established required proofs on an individual.

...in which the "Sure they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go" statement only pertains to US citizens cannot be denied entry or re-entry into the United States (in other words one would wish they would have presented a passport or equivalent documentation upon entry going thru that scrutiny).

As far as a US citizen that don't have to or unauthorizing "consent to any searches" :

This clearly does NOT apply to US federal jurisdiction upon entering the United States, upon entry or within federal installations, upon entry or within federal controlled or restricted areas....

All individuals and personal property entering any of these US federal entities mentioned, regardless of their citizenship are subject to "search and seizure" as federal officials do not need any consent or permission to search individuals or personal property when entering or crossing thru federal property or entities.

However when it comes to US citizens consenting to any searches, that individual right only pertains to one's personal property or private dwelling as any government level official or agency would need a court order for authorization and legit probable cause.....Non US citizens rights would follow under the immigration laws.

Once US CBP officials establish proof of identity and citizenship on an individual entering the United States, it is at the official's DISCRETION whether to enact additional enforcement of measures on regulations pertaining to potential importation of products in the United States - which means the individual might be required to provide information on a legal document called a declaration form, and once that form is completed - officials more likely will conduct a search to check compliance of personal belongings with or without a declaration form.

As other members posting significant points mentioned pertaining upon the quote statement, that would be bad advice if one follows it refusing to answer questions upon entering the United States as one could have all their possessions seized for probable cause including phones..... and no matter how much you lawyer up, the legal system will not be in one's favor regardless of individual rights.

The only one question I ever did stand up to and refuse to answer to any border official was in Sep 2009 upon re-entry at Port Alcan when US Customs gave me a pretty hard time with the panty searching, drug sniffing canine and all, as one of two officials throwing questions at me left and right asked me if I had a social security card and I stated yes but it is not in my possession as I do not carry it on me....

The officer gave me a confident look and stated to me that it won't be necessary.

Other than that, I just comply to their instructions and answer their questions fully.

Your information and point of view was accurate and interesting to read. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I might add, I understand your reluctance in giving your SS# to ANYONE. I offer this suggestion if ever asked for your SS# at the border by a CBP Officer in the future:

"Officer, I have reluctance to divulge my SS# to anyone. I am sure you can appreciate my reluctance considering the cyber security issues this country is experiencing. I am happy to give you the last four digits of my SS# so that you can confirm in your systems, that I have a valid number. Thank you for understanding my concerns".

These four numbers will usually satisfy the Officer's concern's about you actually having a valid SS#. Most likely he/she would not dig deeper into the question.

Hope this helps.

Lakeside

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been wanting to post this long ago...finally have the time as of course I kept a file on my crossings just like they do :

Prior to 1998, my travel logs were not as detailed at the time due to not owning an RV....

Detailed travel logs started in 1998 due to the leisure of now vacationing in an RV - as all timeframes posted here at all US port of entry locations upon subject to clearance are rounded off in 5 minute increments after the 5 minute mark and are accurate times within the first 1 to 5 minutes...

Re-entering the United States from Canada :

Mar 1985 - Port Sumas WA - 10 minutes - cleared

Aug 1986 - Port Alcan AK - 5 minutes - cleared

Jul 1988 - Port Sumas WA - 35 minutes - cleared

- traffic delay
- routine secondary inspection

Sep 1988 - Port Alcan AK - 10 minutes - cleared

May 1989 - Port Sumas WA - 20 minutes - cleared

- rude official

Jun 1989 - Port Alcan AK - 30 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance

Aug 1989 - Port Sumas WA - 20 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance

Oct 1989 - Port Alcan AK - 20 minutes - cleared

Apr 1990 - Port Sumas WA - 15 minutes - cleared

- traffic delay

May 1990 - Port Alcan AK - 15 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance

Aug 1991 - Port Sumas WA - 40 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance
- rude official

Aug 1991 - Port Alcan AK - 3 hours- 45 minutes - (due to four officer safety advisements I was unaware of and a suspended license status I was also unaware of resulting in a DMV error that was proven in court later on)

- 5 shotguns drawn
- detained
- declaration form
- pet documentation
- panty search
- enhanced vehicle search (staff) - U-Hault vehicle ransacked
- interrogated
- beyond rude officials
- non result, cleared
* this re-entry event was the result of relocating my Mother to live with me as all I could say was welcome to Alaska, and was advised at Northway Junction by Alaska State Troopers waiting for me there not to drive any vehicle or I would be arrested, so I made arrangements as four people came to my rescue for the remaining 250 miles to reach final destination

May 1992 - Poker Creek AK (Boundary) - 1 minute - cleared

- NICE official
- Hard raining as officer would not approach vehicle and waived me thru
- Was one of the same officers that drawn shotgun on me assigned at Port Alcan in Aug 1991

Jun 1994 - Port Skagway AK - 5 minutes - cleared

(Former Mile 6 South Klondike Hwy. location)

- NICE official

Jun 1994 - Port Alcan AK - 20 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance

Jul 1998 - Port Skagway AK - 15 minutes - cleared

(New station at Mile 7 South Klondike Hwy. location)

- rude official
- delayed clearance

Jul 1998 - Port Alcan AK - 3 minutes - cleared

- NICE official

Aug 2006 - Poker Creek AK (Boundary) - 2 minutes - cleared

(New Joint USA-CAN Customs Building)
(Old US Customs Station cabins are now converted joint staff lodging)

First Issued Passport submitted upon re-entry into the United States :

Aug 2008 - Port Alcan AK - 40 minutes -

- partially rude official
- beyond rude supervisor
- declaration form
- panty search
- pet documentation
- enhanced vehicle search (staff)
- non result, cleared

Sep 2009 - Port Alcan AK - 10 minutes -

- rude officials
- interrogated
- enhanced vehicle search (canine)
* customs staff demeanor changed to very NICE after disbelief staring at canine with the "we can't believe you didn't find SOMETHING look".
- non result, cleared

Jul 2010 - **** Hyder AK - No US Customs Station

Jul 2010 - Port Alcan AK - 10 minutes - cleared

- delayed clearance

Sep 2011 - Port Alcan AK - 3 minutes - cleared

Sep 2012 - Port Alcan AK - 4 minutes - cleared

- verbal "no declaration" of agricultural products
- quick staff agricultural inspection, non result

Sep 2013 - **** Hyder AK - No US Customs Station

Sep 2013 - Port Alcan AK - 3 minutes - cleared

Sep 2014 - Port Alcan AK - 3 minutes - cleared

Sep 2015 - Dalton Cache AK - 5 minutes - cleared

- verbal "declaration" of agricultural products
- RESULT : confiscation of diced bell peppers

Sep 2015 - Port Alcan AK - 3 minutes - cleared

Sep 2016 - Port Alcan AK - 1 minute - cleared

- NICE official

Oct 2017 - Port Alcan AK - 2 minutes - cleared

- NICE official

Other Footnotes :

Jun 1994 (Port Skagway), Aug 2006 (Poker Creek), Aug 2008 (Port Alcan) were the only three crossings that were initiated by a female US Customs official...

The last 8 consecutive crossings back into the USA (The United State of ALASKA), without "real" realizing it has been a rather smooth pleasant 5 minutes or less with no delayed re-entry or dealing with other scrutiny like in the past...

As posted, my experiences range from the good, the bad, and the ugly.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgip2000 wrote:
If you are a US citizen, you don't have to answer any questions or consent to any searches. Sure, they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go. Don't unlock your phones for them either.

This statement is pretty misleading pertaining to crossing international borders upon re-entry to the United States as I will comment on this also......

As a United States citizen, you DO have the fundamental right NOT to answer any questions to any law enforcement agency within the United States, that is a given.

For a US citizen re-entering the United States, all that is required is satisfied official documentation of:

-Proof of Identity and -Proof of Citizenship

If any US citizen cannot provide the required documentation upon re-entering the United States, one would go thru additional screening measures UNTIL officials are satisfied of the established required proofs on an individual.

...in which the "Sure they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go" statement only pertains to US citizens cannot be denied entry or re-entry into the United States (in other words one would wish they would have presented a passport or equivalent documentation upon entry going thru that scrutiny).

As far as a US citizen that don't have to or unauthorizing "consent to any searches" :

This clearly does NOT apply to US federal jurisdiction upon entering the United States, upon entry or within federal installations, upon entry or within federal controlled or restricted areas....

All individuals and personal property entering any of these US federal entities mentioned, regardless of their citizenship are subject to "search and seizure" as federal officials do not need any consent or permission to search individuals or personal property when entering or crossing thru federal property or entities.

However when it comes to US citizens consenting to any searches, that individual right only pertains to one's personal property or private dwelling as any government level official or agency would need a court order for authorization and legit probable cause.....Non US citizens rights would follow under the immigration laws.

Once US CBP officials establish proof of identity and citizenship on an individual entering the United States, it is at the official's DISCRETION whether to enact additional enforcement of measures on regulations pertaining to potential importation of products in the United States - which means the individual might be required to provide information on a legal document called a declaration form, and once that form is completed - officials more likely will conduct a search to check compliance of personal belongings with or without a declaration form.

As other members posting significant points mentioned pertaining upon the quote statement, that would be bad advice if one follows it refusing to answer questions upon entering the United States as one could have all their possessions seized for probable cause including phones..... and no matter how much you lawyer up, the legal system will not be in one's favor regardless of individual rights.

The only one question I ever did stand up to and refuse to answer to any border official was in Sep 2009 upon re-entry at Port Alcan when US Customs gave me a pretty hard time with the panty searching, drug sniffing canine and all, as one of two officials throwing questions at me left and right asked me if I had a social security card and I stated yes but it is not in my possession as I do not carry it on me....

The officer gave me a confident look and stated to me that it won't be necessary.

Other than that, I just comply to their instructions and answer their questions fully.
Air Lift 1000 (Front)

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I have found that helps is to keep your answers honest and simple. Donโ€™t elaborate. Have only the driver do the talking unless a question is directed to a passenger. Have also found that cooked and frozen food items are much less of interest to the agents if Brian had cooked his bell pepper in with some ground meat and had it in his freezer, he probably could have enjoyed it that night for dinner. For some odd reason, once my information starts coming up on their computer screen, food is never mentioned. If the agent asks a question of you that you answer, yes or no, just sit quietly and let the agent break the silence . They are just doing their jobs and having a sense of humor, is not one of the job requirements for agents from either side of the border.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
drenjoey wrote:
I have to comment on my comment:

First......Lemons and limes don't grow in Canada. They come from the States. Why do they confiscate things from their own country?

Second.....We didn't even buy those lemons and limes in Canada. We brought them with us and the agent at the Canadian border didn't even ask about fruits or veggies !!!!!!

I am sure the US Dep't of Agriculture has the complete regs on why US Customs tend to enforce such rules that are enacted to answer your questions....

One such reg that would pertain to what was mentioned here is the proven fact that any type of agricultural product subject to prohibited entry - was indeed "imported" to the United States from another country.... It does not matter where that very agricultural product had originated from as one example would be certain invasive species can still invade certain types of veggies or fruits from any location, or else importing original US agricultural products would not be enforced.

Yes I had a similar situation that was just plain silly when in Sep 2015 at the Dalton Post US port of entry (Haines Highway border crossing), the agent confiscated my orange bell peppers that I had all diced up and stored in a ziploc bag....as the agent stated to me that bell peppers from Canada are not allowed !....The $4 loss itself I can live with, if they were whole uncut bell peppers, sure I can live with that too....

But c'mon man - the 10 minutes of all the hard work I did by washing them, de-seeding them and dicing them all up in a refrigerated stored clear see thru SEALED bag where you can clearly inspect for any potential bugs I thought was a bit ludicrous confiscating them.

For the record, no I was unaware about bell peppers from Canada were prohibited entry at that very moment.

Three hours later when I entered the IGA store in Haines, I restocked up on orange bell peppers - same PLU code sticker on them marked "3121 - Canada".

Believe me, I was going to call US Customs and ask why the store has over 100 pounds of bell peppers from Canada when I was specifically told that bell peppers from Canada are NOT allowed !, as I certainly want to witness for myself a federal raid take place to confiscate all the bell peppers and cite that store a big fine.

However the three sites that did have payphones before were ripped out and no longer there (as I remembered upon my only visit in Haines in June 1994) when I asked the locals where any payphones were located as two confirmed to me that they removed them about 5 years or so ago (in 2010).

To Date : Out of the 31 total Canada entry crossings and 29 USA (from Canada) re-entry customs clearing border crossings, and 2 Mexico and 2 USA re-entry from Mexico border crossings that I endured...the bell peppers in 2015 was the only item that was ever confiscated.
Air Lift 1000 (Front)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Two separate crossings into the US at the Osoyoos (WA) border crossing in the past years.

First time returning from Whitehorse with a US owned pickup on a US owned trailer, towed by a US owned pickup. Truck on trailer searched, and a $28.00 fee charged to return the truck into the US!! No reason given for the "Custom Fee", and all the agents involved were just short of rude and wouldn't answer questions without an attitude!!

Second time, returning from Icefields trip, had TT searched after many, many questions from 2 agents. Confiscated onions, lemons, (bought in US and crossed into CA only 2 wks before) and warned about the dog food being out of orig container (which was in dinette seat area!!). My wife is partially deaf, and I answered all questions to the best of my knowledge, but obviously didn't remember or even was aware of the items in frig!! No fines or fees, but after the search, I said "I guess I answered NO too many times"!!! Agent laughed and said yep you did!!

At both crossings, the agents outside were women (no sexism meant, just info) and the "gang" in the main building were guys!!

As to entering CA, we have never had any problems with Canadian customs. Smooth and usually swift, and into CA. But returning has always been a hassle!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
They confiscated my illegal tomatoes!! (Seriously)

Just came back yesterday (Aug. 11th)from PEI. They confiscated my lemon and lime that were already cut............Geezzzzzz!

I guess the agent had a Corona but no lime!

I have to comment on my comment:

First......Lemons and limes don't grow in Canada. They come from the States. Why do they confiscate things from their own country?

Second.....We didn't even buy those lemons and limes in Canada. We brought them with us and the agent at the Canadian border didn't even ask about fruits or veggies !!!!!!