cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 77 Tunnel at WV - VA line

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
There is major construction taking place northbound inside the tunnel at the state line. Is there an alternate route you would suggest to avoid the five mile bumper to bumper traffic?
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
8 REPLIES 8

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:
Can anybody say how long the wait is to clear this construction?

I will be returning from Myrtle Beach on August 8th which is a Wednesday.

If the posted detour is that bad is there any other way to avoid this? My final destination is Washington PA just south of Pittsburgh

Thanks

Dave

Dave, up 95 to just north of Richmond....then cut across through Winchester VA to I 68 near Hancock MD. Forget the exact route but Im thinking 522 maybe is part of it. We live just east of you and thats the only route we have taken to Myrtle for years. Those 77 backups happen all the time, even when not doing construction. A truck gets a flat tire and the rubberneckers back it up for miles.

Jump off I 68 at Keysers Ridge, run US 40 to Uniontown, pick up 43 to I 70 and eliminate the Morgantown dogleg of 68/79
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Can anybody say how long the wait is to clear this construction? Dave

Several weeks ago it added about 30 minutes to the trip. Doing it again Wednesday and will just chill and stay with 77 since there is really no good alternative.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a preference to stay in the 77 corridor? If you are headed back to Kankakee I would go to I-26 to I-40 then west to Nashville and pick up I-24 to I-57.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Can anybody say how long the wait is to clear this construction?

I will be returning from Myrtle Beach on August 8th which is a Wednesday.

If the posted detour is that bad is there any other way to avoid this? My final destination is Washington PA just south of Pittsburgh

Thanks

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We came up the end of May in a 45' MH towing a stacker trailer. The detour was mandatory. As has been said very hilly and winding. I probably would have waited in traffic if not mandatory.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you travelling? From this area the route to 40 past Knoxville on 75 is less than half an hour longer to get into central NC.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I came up a few weeks ago. There was a non mandatory detour that I took and regretted. Very hilly and curvy.

I think it was I81 and 460.

Good to know. That was going to be my plan.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came up a few weeks ago. There was a non mandatory detour that I took and regretted. Very hilly and curvy.

I think it was I81 and 460.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.