cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Y fitting at city water connection

mik976
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking that it would be convenient to have a y fitting at the city water connection to run a second hose outside the travel trailer I use. Would something like this be frowned upon or is it okay? It would be great for filling dog water bowls and filling pots for cooking outside.
24 REPLIES 24

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a "Y"? With 2 black tank flushes and a city water hose, I ultimately switched to a 4-way manifold!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wrong thread.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I used on the last time I was camping at Hunting Island State Park. I had a pull site and outside shower was against the bushes in the back of site.. Too many mosquitos back there, so I ran water hose from Y on water connection near front of RV to open area at the front and showered from beach using hose. No where near as many mosquitos and grandbabies were happy over not fighting them.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ken56 wrote:
For added safety I have a second vacuum breaker at the wye, then the hose connected to the breaker. There may well be one at the spigot but it does not stop any crossover between the wye connections.

wgriswold wrote:
I always use one. It can be to close off the city water system if the backflow valve in the city connection fails.

Do you guys wear both a belt and suspenders? The possibilty of a backflow preventer failing, or conditions developing that even that cause the need for it to operate, is about the same odds of hitting the Powerball lottery. Oh the humanity.

Do not ever look inside a section of waterline they have removed when making a repair. You may never drink municipally treated water again.

Its called a redundant system. Aircraft have redundant systems even though they rarely to never get used, thank god.. If I fail to wear a belt or suspenders and my pants fall down I possibly could traumatize anyone who witnesses that but E Coli contamination is a serious issue. 530 people were just sickened at a zip line facility in Gatlinburg this past week because of E coli. If my using a second vacuum breaker is something that may prevent contamination is silly then I guess I'm silly, but it makes me feel better.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
For added safety I have a second vacuum breaker at the wye, then the hose connected to the breaker. There may well be one at the spigot but it does not stop any crossover between the wye connections.

wgriswold wrote:
I always use one. It can be to close off the city water system if the backflow valve in the city connection fails.

Do you guys wear both a belt and suspenders? The possibilty of a backflow preventer failing, or conditions developing that even that cause the need for it to operate, is about the same odds of hitting the Powerball lottery. Oh the humanity.

Do not ever look inside a section of waterline they have removed when making a repair. You may never drink municipally treated water again.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. Rig is on a seasonal site this year and water hookup is below ground under a manhole cover so I put y fitting right at camper. Turn water off to camper when I leave and depressurize water system in camper. When I return i use it to flush line from city hookup before diverting flow into camper for use.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I added garden hose quick connect fittings with built in ball valves to the ends of my hot and cold water low point drains. I can hook up to either with a hose and sprayer or connect to a laundry sink with legs for use for outside washing and rinsing.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Just know not all are certified for drinking water. The warning is often in small print on the pa magi game.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Always use one with an adjustable sprayer. Also have a platform to stand on, a bar of soap, and several pieces of 2โ€™ x 8โ€™ outdoor carpet leading back to the patio mat. This setup works really well at the beach to help keep down the sand in the camper.
Never had a complaint from management.

This is a great idea!
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I use one also. For added safety I have a second vacuum breaker at the wye, then the hose connected to the breaker. There may well be one at the spigot but it does not stop any crossover between the wye connections. I use it for fresh city water connection and the black tank flush plus any other outside use I need. Just don't be washing your truck and trailer with it and it should be OK.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
mik976 wrote:
I was thinking that it would be convenient to have a y fitting at the city water connection to run a second hose outside the travel trailer I use. Would something like this be frowned upon or is it okay? It would be great for filling dog water bowls and filling pots for cooking outside.

Very common. I use one all the time. The campgrounds don't care.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
Just don't forget it when you leave. ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTDT along with a brand new regulator. :S

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Always use one with an adjustable sprayer. Also have a platform to stand on, a bar of soap, and several pieces of 2โ€™ x 8โ€™ outdoor carpet leading back to the patio mat. This setup works really well at the beach to help keep down the sand in the camper.
Never had a complaint from management.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch