cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Class A 37' Pros & Cons of Sway Bar and Trac Bar

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2016 37' Thor Challenger and having some swaying and rocking issues at freeway speed at 60+ mph. Would love to hear input from anyone experiencing the same problem and if the swaying and rocking problems were corrected when the sway bar or trac bar was purchased and installed. Thank you, Sal
13 REPLIES 13

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
CHF is Cheap Handling fix. My costs were at about$1300.00 and that ncluded the Install of the rear sway bar by a local shop. I might also say that a front end alignment by a shop that knows how to set up a MH may also provide significant benefits. The Ford people do not align them for the end product only for the standard weight chassis that they are selling.

OK.... Enlighten me, what is the difference between an empty front end alignment and a load front end alignment. Remember, the F53 chassis all have a straight axle, and caster and camber does not change with weight. Keep in mind the increasing front end caster, also decreases the wheel cut, or how sharp you can turn. Granted, if Ford did not do their job, it will not handle good.
Wildmanbaker

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
CHF is Cheap Handling fix. My costs were at about$1300.00 and that ncluded the Install of the rear sway bar by a local shop. I might also say that a front end alignment by a shop that knows how to set up a MH may also provide significant benefits. The Ford people do not align them for the end product only for the standard weight chassis that they are selling.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
The pros are this: significantly better handling.

The cons are weight, cost and maybe some bloody knuckles if you do it yourself.

I've added these handling upgrades (and more) to all of our rigs and I've never regretted it.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
dotcommer wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Watch this video....a good rundown on what is available...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhHS9taP58

Al

Great informative video, thank you

You are most welcome. :C

Al

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
dotcommer wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:
On my 2016 Chassis I found the CHF using the Hellwig extensions, a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar and the Saftey steer to be a great upgrade no more push during windy days and no being tossed about when passing or being passed by a Semi.

Thank you for the info, what was it like prior to getting all that work done? And what did it end up costing you?

What is CHF ? Iโ€™m a newbie

CHF stands for Cheap Handling Fix. The anti-sway bars that Ford installs have two holes in each end. One right at the end, the other a little bit away. Moving the rods from one hole to the other makes the anti-sway bar act stiffer, helping control roll as if you had installed a heavier bar.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Workhorse based Motor home (Also a THor product.. Damon Intruder) does not have much of a "Rocking" problem (That's side to side rocking like fans swaying at a rock concert holding up their lit BICS) but wag (Like a dog's tail side to side" it had

Sway Bars control the Side to side rock (Sway)
Trac bars Stop the wag dead in it's track. two (one front one rear) are 100% effective.

I added one of those and also a Stering Stablizer Mine is the Blue OX Tru Center. Safe-T-Stear with the optional remote aduster is also a good choice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
On my 2016 Chassis I found the CHF using the Hellwig extensions, a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar and the Saftey steer to be a great upgrade no more push during windy days and no being tossed about when passing or being passed by a Semi.

Thank you for the info, what was it like prior to getting all that work done? And what did it end up costing you?

What is CHF ? Iโ€™m a newbie

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:

Al

Great informative video, thank you

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer

Al

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, do the CHF first. Then, if you think you need more control, a track bar on the rear, will keep the house from shifting over the axle when driving. The springs are 43" long, front and rear, and have fairly large rubber bushings on the ends. If you do not have a front track bar, you should get one for the same reasons. If you are bothered by side to side rocking, Timbrens or Sumo Springs will help, and may improve sudden jolts.
Wildmanbaker

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
You might what to check this out http://www.thorforums.com

There is alot of talk about CHF, I think each to there own on that. You have to remember you are driving a big box down the road.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
CHF

Type it in the search section of this fourm