cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V 10 life expectancy

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at an exceptionally clean 08 with 80K miles. What miles could I expect the engine to last?
12 REPLIES 12

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I got a rental fleet, we have had units up to 300K as rentals all their life with no problems. Right now I have ones with 165K, 140K, 100K, and a few more. Out of 10 V10 units, only 1 consimed oil, a first generation V10. The rest didn't.
So far never a problem with the engine or transmission. Of course, they are always maintained by the book.
I would not shy away from an 80K rig. Have it checked, but if the rest of the coach is OK, most likely they did a good job maintaining it.
I would put new brake pads, replace all fluids, lube the caliper slides, change the belt, so on and so forth.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
456,000 miles on mines. Engine and transmission is original (and I have the 4R100!), with the exception of the timing chain. Changed that a little over 400,000 after I started hearing some chain slap at low-load, high RPMs while cold.

My combined weight is typically 22,000 pounds (sometimes 25k), and over 250,000 of those are towing miles. Also my towing speeds are generally quite a bit faster than normal motorhome speeds, so it gets a good workout.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problems with the 5.4L (little brother to the 6.8L) 3V with variable cam timing was always the cam synchronizers, timing chain guides and adjusters and the timing chain itself. The guide and adjusters and possibly even the chain may be identical to the ones in the 6.8L.

Most failures occurred well past 100K. In another 30-40K you might want to pull the valve covers to see how much stretch there is in the chain. If you are doing the chain, do the other items also and the oil pump. These should be a ZERO labor up charge.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely it is a 5 speed Torq-Shift. Great Trans.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I should have asked about the tranny. Is it an Allison?

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
80K may not be a problem, but I would want to know that the engine has been maintained and taken care of. It would be worth it to have a good mechanic check it out and test as needed. I would also want to take it for a really comprehensive test drive.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang01 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
With proper care, possibly 250K or more would be a reasonable guess before major internal work/rebuilding. 80K is not high for the engine.

The Ford V10s are used in many commercial applications like minibuses and ambulances and box trucks where they accumulate many miles. In a motorhome, you're likely to have the house wear out well before the engine and drivetrain is done for. Of course, a lack of care and maintenance will change things.

This ^^^. As always it comes down to the maintenance.

Precisely. Take good care of anything and don't beat the heck out of it and it will last a long time. 250k to 300K miles for that engine would not be unheard of. Sure there will be somethings that will need repair and replacement along the way (i.e. alternator, water pump, plugs etc. etc.) but that simply comes with any engine. The V-10 is a very good motor and if it was well maintained, it will serve you well.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
With proper care, possibly 250K or more would be a reasonable guess before major internal work/rebuilding. 80K is not high for the engine.

The Ford V10s are used in many commercial applications like minibuses and ambulances and box trucks where they accumulate many miles. In a motorhome, you're likely to have the house wear out well before the engine and drivetrain is done for. Of course, a lack of care and maintenance will change things.

This ^^^. As always it comes down to the maintenance.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ppine wrote:
About half of a diesel.

Or in other words, 2 to 3 times as long as the main rig will last before falling apart.

Unless you are planning to put 40-50k miles per year on it, engine life isn't much of a consideration.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If the oil has been changed regularly it will last a long time. Stuff like water pumps will act up and need replaced long before the engine dies. At 80 thousand you are close to needing plugs etc. Minor maintenance will come into play soon.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
About half of a diesel.