cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tank level sensor wires..repair

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
This past week while on the road, I noticed that one of the black tank sensor wires (yellow) had been severed by the stabilization jack. a short piece of the wire is still attached to the tanks sensor button.. can I just solder the wire back together then heat shrink the joint without impacting the resiatance of the wire or is there a better way to make the repair like using the a telephone wire plastic press connector?
3 REPLIES 3

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Solder and heat shrink would be the best.

Ditto but it's just a low voltage wire, whatever you have handy to make a good splice would work.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Any of them should work just fine. The resistances of the tank contents and the resistor pack are in the range of kilo-Ohms; all you need is more or less continuity. Solder and heat shrink is just fine; a weatherproof telephone connector would also be just fine if it's suitable for the type of wire (I think some are designed for solid wire only and not recommended for stranded wire).

It would seem to me to be a good idea to tape or otherwise restrain the wire and its compatriots so it doesn't run afoul of the leveling jack again.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Solder and heat shrink would be the best.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker