cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Most Underrated Vacation Spot In Each State

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Spots like these that make me want to see more of this country.

MSN: The Most Underrated Vacation Spot In Each State
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
44 REPLIES 44

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Burnt Marshmallow wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
OK, my bad.... yes, unknown and underrated are a different matter. Nashville, Indiana is a nice place, but only if you spend a couple or three hours there. Then you've see it all and ready to get back to Brown County State Park, or better yet, drive through Gnawbone, Indiana on your way back. It's actually a pretty interesting little "burg" on the map: Click here

Shake my head. I've been going there since I was a kid in the early 70's. Nashville is a great find, we sometimes drive 3 hours one way on a road trip. The artist community there is phenomenal, the IU playhouse, The Ordinary, the soda shop off the main drag where you can still get phosphates, the nut shop.... great little place to go.

But I'm happy if y'all stay away too.
I just have to say that your forum handle is the best one I've ever seen - fits great with the forum subject matter - camping. Well done!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charming, most of us do not do touristy things in out own areas, unless we have visitor. I live within 15 minutes drive time of some of the most beautiful easily accessible public beaches on Earth here in Bermuda. I have not been on any of them in something like 40 years.

We have a really nice aquarium here. It uses real seawater. It has real coral in the displays. A real gem of a place for such a little island that we are. Have not been there since our kids were little & it was a great outing for them.

There are plenty of underrated & underutilised places out there. Can't count or begin to name all of the small towns that we have passed through because of our habit of avoiding interstates whenever possible. Really enjoyed some. Felt sorry for others that were in decline.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
As is normally the Case this article has Missed the Mark - as most of the Places are Extremely well known and Popular.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

charming
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Would I live in Tucson proper? No. Nor would I live where you do in Phoenix โ€ฆ.. or any med-large city anywhere. Would I visit cities? Yes. They all have something to offer.

Arizona, in general, has a lot to offer and I really think we've covered the whole state thoroughly over the years. We've stayed in every state park and many national forest campgrounds along with boondocking in awesome spots and hiking fantastic trails. We've also volunteered in state parks and Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec area picking up trash via the Trash Tracker program through the Nat'l Rec Area. We spent 16 days rafting the Grand Canyon. We love Arizona... and Tucson. ๐Ÿ™‚

True about many cities but then I wouldn't call them underrated. They are rated for what they are. Phoenix isn't a destination city either nor would I rank it as an underrated vacation spot. It's not as crime ridden and dirty as Tucson though!! Have family there, they say the same thing!

I agree that AZ has a ton to offer. Love it!! Many great things outside of Tucson too, Wineries, Tombstone, Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee...but Tucson proper I stay away from!!

Not picking on your post specifically, but what I've discovered over the years, many people do not recognize or support their own city or community. We are from Richmond, VA. I doubt if many local residents consider it a tourist city or even a destination city. My husband and I spent many days exploring the city, visiting the local museums and historic sites. We often played tourist without ever spending the night away.

Back before retirement we made several visits to the Phoenix area for work conferences and enjoyed the city and surrounding communities. We will be visiting Tuscon for the first time in February and look forward to learning more about the city we've only driven past in previous trips to the area.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Matt Colie:

Judging by your map you haven't been to Washington, Oregon, or Utah. Is that correct? Those would be 3 of the states that I would most want to visit.

Steve

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well,

It is always fun to see others impressions of places. This is no different, but I seriously disagree with their summary.

I have been to many and even lived in or near a few of the places they picked. For most I would label this list as pretty pure BS for those places being underrated. There are even some of them that we did visit and we will never return to and for good reasons.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had time to waste so clicked through the lot. Actually been to a surprising number of them including a few which are not RV accessible or difficult the get too such as Block Island & Chesapeake City, both visited by boat.

How places like Tucson got on the list I don't know.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
OK, my bad.... yes, unknown and underrated are a different matter. Nashville, Indiana is a nice place, but only if you spend a couple or three hours there. Then you've see it all and ready to get back to Brown County State Park, or better yet, drive through Gnawbone, Indiana on your way back. It's actually a pretty interesting little "burg" on the map: Click here

Shake my head. I've been going there since I was a kid in the early 70's. Nashville is a great find, we sometimes drive 3 hours one way on a road trip. The artist community there is phenomenal, the IU playhouse, The Ordinary, the soda shop off the main drag where you can still get phosphates, the nut shop.... great little place to go.

But I'm happy if y'all stay away too.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
That should have simply been titled: Places to visit in each state.

For Pennsylvania, they list Hershey? (!) Again, one of the state's top tourist attractions.

Interesting list, but far from "underrated" or "unknown" tourist destinations.

Thanks. You saved me the trouble of being disappointed.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
You may be right, but Phoenix has a higher murder rate than Tucson. It's not a big difference, but it's higher.

US cities crime rate

Look at the property crime total. It is double Phoenix's despite Phoenix having nearly 3 times the population. Thats the issue I have down there. Burglaries, car thefts, vandalism etc. is off the charts to me! I'm an AZ native and love the state but Tucson just isn't a part of that love!!

We take our RV to Tombstone Territories resort southeast of Benson out in the quiet desert when visiting the area. Great place!

I posted an MSN list the other day. Today there is a new one: The top 10 cities for property crime. I wondered if Tucson is on the list. It's number 6 worst. Phoenix as not on either list; this list is actually 2 lists: the best and the worst:

MSN: City Property Crime Lists

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
You may be right, but Phoenix has a higher murder rate than Tucson. It's not a big difference, but it's higher.

US cities crime rate

Look at the property crime total. It is double Phoenix's despite Phoenix having nearly 3 times the population. Thats the issue I have down there. Burglaries, car thefts, vandalism etc. is off the charts to me! I'm an AZ native and love the state but Tucson just isn't a part of that love!!

We take our RV to Tombstone Territories resort southeast of Benson out in the quiet desert when visiting the area. Great place!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Would I live in Tucson proper? No. Nor would I live where you do in Phoenix โ€ฆ.. or any med-large city anywhere. Would I visit cities? Yes. They all have something to offer.

Arizona, in general, has a lot to offer and I really think we've covered the whole state thoroughly over the years. We've stayed in every state park and many national forest campgrounds along with boondocking in awesome spots and hiking fantastic trails. We've also volunteered in state parks and Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec area picking up trash via the Trash Tracker program through the Nat'l Rec Area. We spent 16 days rafting the Grand Canyon. We love Arizona... and Tucson. ๐Ÿ™‚

True about many cities but then I wouldn't call them underrated. They are rated for what they are. Phoenix isn't a destination city either nor would I rank it as an underrated vacation spot. It's not as crime ridden and dirty as Tucson though!! Have family there, they say the same thing!

I agree that AZ has a ton to offer. Love it!! Many great things outside of Tucson too, Wineries, Tombstone, Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee...but Tucson proper I stay away from!!

US cities crime rate

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

dedmiston
2gypsies wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
We spent most of a week at the Tucson gem, mineral, and fossil show this year. Tucson was a great hostess and a nice destination.

I thought this post was on 'vacations' and yes, Tucson has some wonderful things to visit.

Well, we were on vacation, so yeah.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230