cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Notice to Veterans that take BP meds

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately, the VA pharmacy in some areas has distributed a BP med that is under recall ...

If you take Valsartan (or it's derivatives) go to NY Times and read the story - last Friday article or google it - get the batch number, and check it with your bottle - or call your pharmacy and ask what to do ...

Just a heads up to the vets on the road ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
25 REPLIES 25

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
pasusan wrote:
This doesn't surprise me, although it should surprise all of us that our pharmaceutical companies sell us medications made in China.

If a U.S. manufacturer has a plant in China it will be overseen by the U.S. company - strictly.

true depending on the definition of "overseen" but many/most of these foreign goods are just purchased by the american company and are not owned by the US company. they are also "overseen" by the US FDA to a certain degree.
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
This doesn't surprise me, although it should surprise all of us that our pharmaceutical companies sell us medications made in China.

If a U.S. manufacturer has a plant in China it will be overseen by the U.S. company - strictly.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Lisinopril is a different class of blood pressure medicine. It is an Ace inhibitor. A lot of the generic forms of these type of medications end in "pril".

Valsartan is in a class called Angiotensin receptor blockers. A lot of the generic forms of these types of medicines and in "sartan". The brand name for Valsartan is Diovan. Losartan (brand name Cozaar) is in the same class and is much cheaper than Valsartan.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I take Lisinopril.Hope it is not another name for it.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

The same thing has happened since at least 2007 with some blood pressure medications.

Let's trust Chinese meds, but not the NYT. :R

Exactly. Chinese quality control is notoriously lax--China bombs, lead paint on kids toys, melamine tainted formula killing infants, and on and on--yet our pharmaceutical companies seem unconcerned, preferring to just deal with problems after the fact.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

The same thing has happened since at least 2007 with some blood pressure medications.

Let's trust Chinese meds, but not the NYT. :R

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
One problem with this thread is that folks are confusing the product manufacturer and the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturer. evidently the manufacturer of the API is the one that changed manufacturing methods/processes and caused this impurity to exist. this would of course be in violation of the New Drug Application requirements.
It is theoretically possible that that supplier in India, and others, actually obtain the API from the chinese firm.
and knowing the manufacturer of the finished drug product gives you no knowledge as to who manufactured the API.
bumpy

Then again it's totally possible that the Indian company is manufacturing the API itself which they could do cheaply enough.

Until they find out otherwise I'm not going to worry myself to death about it.

Or maybe I should have a panic attack because they might have gotten it from China and two other medications that I'm taking were manufactured in India.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Sorry, I'd have to have from another source as I don't believe a word the NYT says.

X2
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Azdryheat wins the internet today for derailing a sincere thread on the very first response! Way to go buddy. You get a gold star too!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
One problem with this thread is that folks are confusing the product manufacturer and the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturer. evidently the manufacturer of the API is the one that changed manufacturing methods/processes and caused this impurity to exist. this would of course be in violation of the New Drug Application requirements.
It is theoretically possible that that supplier in India, and others, actually obtain the API from the chinese firm.
and knowing the manufacturer of the finished drug product gives you no knowledge as to who manufactured the API.
bumpy

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I take valsart, but so far it is from a manufacturer not on the recall list, mine originated in India.

That sounds right. A majority of our meds are manufactured in either China or India. I try and stick with American manufacturers when possible, but it's getting much harder. A few years back I remember a Chinese company intentionally faked the active ingredient in Heparin. It killed 12 patients on cardio bypass when their blood clotted during open heart surgery. 15% of Chinese children are poisoned with lead and they don't give a ****. You think their careful with what they put in our pills? Some generics are good and some are bad. If you want to know where your pill was manufactured, on the bottom right corner of the bottle you will see an NDC # looks like this,
NDC: 00378-1809-10 That number will tell you the real manufacturer.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I take valsart, but so far it is from a manufacturer not on the recall list, mine originated in India.

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Unfortunately, the VA pharmacy in some areas has distributed a BP med that is under recall ...

If you take Valsartan (or it's derivatives) go to NY Times and read the story - last Friday article or google it - get the batch number, and check it with your bottle - or call your pharmacy and ask what to do ...

evidently the drug component was contaminated. might affect other manufacturers if any??????
bumpy

According to my info, it was ONE manufacturer located in China and several (Six?) distributors - but all from the same manufacturer. The different names on the report are distributors, not manufacturers. They call themselves "Drug Companies" but did not manufacture this specific product batch - that's the best info I have - but don't just take my word, it's just advice to follow up with your doctor if you take this med ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

evidently the drug component was contaminated. might affect other manufacturers if any??????
bumpy