cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Faceplate on Dometic CT Thermostat is screwy

Bierp
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a Dometic CT Single Zone Thermostat in the bedroom of our 5er. This controls only the 2nd AC. Primary AC, furnace, heat pump are all on the primary in the living room which has its own thermostat.

The CT controls work perfectly if I remove the faceplate, but if I leave it on, the controls are nearly impossible to operate. This unit only has 3 "buttons" which appear to be just a pressure push with no moving parts. The cavities behind the pressure areas seem to have foam stuffed into them for making contact with the pegs on the board. (Not sure what those are called.)

Pushing buttons with the faceplate on will cause it to randomly cycle through modes, or delay inputs the burst through them. Temp changes are a total crapshoot. Also, just lightly brushing the panel as you walk by can have completely random results.

As I said, if I remove the faceplate and just manually touch the 'pegs', it works perfectly. That's kind of annoying though. This is a brand new rig intended for full-timing and it's an eyesore to see the board every time I look at that wall.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a quick fix here?

Here's a basic image of the faceplate. (Mine doesn't have bluetooth.)

2018 Montana 3950BR - 3rd AC, Stacked W/D, Winegard Trav'ler (DTV), 2000w inverter, EMS-HW50C
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel Dually - B&W 25k Hitch
8 REPLIES 8

Bierp
Explorer
Explorer
Great news! Thanks for the update.
2018 Montana 3950BR - 3rd AC, Stacked W/D, Winegard Trav'ler (DTV), 2000w inverter, EMS-HW50C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
After installing the updated Faceplate and testing for 24 hours, the new foam faceplate problems are fixed. Doug

Bierp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug. Let me know how the new faceplate works for you.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Per Dometic, the foam inserts are not soft enough. Dometic will replace the Faceplate under warranty. NOT the complete tstat, but the Faceplate with the updated foam inserts. I do not know if they will do that for a retail customer or only thru the Dometic warranty service center. I am awaiting my first faceplate and should have it today and I will see if it fixes the problem. These are called CT(capacitance touch) tstats. They operate on the same principle as the screen on a smart phone. You do NOT PUSH the buttons, you gently touch. It is difficult to get used to doing that. Doug

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
Had 2 replaced already on my 1 year old rig. My dealer told me these are more faulty than the previous Dometic model with the tactile buttons. Older model thermostat just didn't have the led backlit option. I prefer the older ones.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works fine so far although Iโ€™ve noticed that it gets changed very easily by accidentally bumping it. Also managed to change it to Celsius on accident on our last trip (hit up and down buttons together to change back and forth Fahrenheit to Celsius BTW) Agree if itโ€™s a new rig Iโ€™d get it fixed under warranty.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a warranty item. Mine works perfect with no issues that you describe.

Don't recall foam or not. I would remove the foam and see what happens.