cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reseal roof questions?

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
I know there has been a lot about this in various threads. I did some searching but did not really find what I was after, so:

It's time to do some maintenance on my roof. The self leveling caulking is getting some minor cracks so I figure it's time to go over it.

Should I remove the old caulking or just clean (with what) and go over the old with new self leveling?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
8 REPLIES 8

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently cleaned all the old caulk on my rubber roof and put on new self leveling dicor. Then put eternabond on the front and rear seams. I am very happy with the results. Got everything from Amazon.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
You can clean up the old caulk with Windex then apply new. There's a blogger who's very good at D.I.Y. There's a video where he uses Eternabond around all his vents and other items. It looks very good. Check it out at "Love Your RV" by Ray Burr.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Our Itasca has a fiberglass roof and I usually take off the old calk with a nylon scraper, clean using Mineral Spirits. Apply Dicor generously to seal.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I did my annual roof scrubbing on my Class B fiberglass roof and found 2 stress cracks. The one area had small spiderwire cracks that did not go through. It was about 2" by 4". The other was one crack about 4" long & it did have a small gap. I covered them with eternabond tape, following the directions. It should seal well. The tape is not visible from the ground. I had checked with a fiberglass repair shop & they wanted well over $1,000.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I resealed my previous 5th wheel around all of the vents, I carefully removed all the old caulking cleaned it off with the recommended solvent (just don't remember what) and applied Eterna Bond around everything. I then used the self leveling caulk around all edges of Eterna Bond. It looked very neat and never had a problem with leaks.

It's important to follow the directions on the Eterna Bond for good adhesion. If you follow this method you will not have leaks. It is a little overkill like wearing suspenders with a belt but once done I never had to worry.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
No expert but I have a rubber roof and I take some of the caulk off the top staying away from the rubber . Clean the rest and reseal.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The correct answer may depend on what type roof you have. If you have a fiberglass or metal roof, Iโ€™d try to remove the old, then apply the new. If you have a rubber roof then Iโ€™d clean the existing caulk, and apply the new over the old. Reasoning being that in removing the old you have an increased chance of damaging the roof material. Iโ€™ll leave it to others to suggest what to clean the area with to assure a good adhesion.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT