cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1994 Bounder Fleetwood 454 Engine-Start Problems!

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
Driving down interstate 10 at 70mph everything running well. Engine stopped running, just like turning off ignition. Coasted to side of road. Let it set for a while then tried to start. Would not even fire a cylinder. Long Story- but 3 weeks later still wont start. replaced or checked the following: Spark Plugs, Rotor, dist cap, whole new distributer, ECU with new prom, coil, removed front of engine checked timing chain (ok). Still will not fire let alone start. checked 12 volts to coil (good). No leakage or unusual indication from engine when it quit.... Baffeled 50 yr aviation Mechanic w/IA 3 other mechs with yrs of experence. Diesel,Auto and Aviation mech Baffeled. Any help appreciated...
108 REPLIES 108

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swapping ignition switches would tell the tale.

If not the switch, a pin pushed out of a connector or corroded pin or bad crimp.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
TY Cougar and Katuna I am leaning toward a wire problem now. (intermitten I Think)

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
I believe when you engage the starter with the key it causes the PCM to Advance the ignition timing, anyway as my post went on as I adjusted the Distributor to a more advance position it would stay running at 800-1000rpm but if i let off throttle it quite... Anyway we put new switch module in it didn't make any difference.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ignition (1) Is to make the engine ignition operate

Ignition (2) Is to make the accessories operate. They go off when the engine is cranked.

Is there something wrong with connecting a 12 volt pilot light to various ignition feed wires "IN", like to the distributor, the EFI module, fuel pump, etc?

OP do you have the factory wiring diagrams?

SHARE YOUR GRIEF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpmt0FzaH9M

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
72cougarxr7 wrote:
The fact that it stayed running while cranking really leads me to think the ignition switch is your issue.

Me too. Or a bad wire/connection.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that it stayed running while cranking really leads me to think the ignition switch is your issue.

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
But I am like you thats how it is acting like the Cam or Crank position sensor is having a problem. Intermitten or changing.. This is a brand new distributor with rotor cap and ICM new... Acted same way with old distributor!!!

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that I'm aware of is the Ignition Control Module in the distributor tells the PCM the position of Cam and Crank! There is no other pick up that senses Cam or Crank...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Double checked, No crank position sensor.
Handled by distributor shaft and timing chain.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
This engine just came as a LongBlock from ProMar Engines in New Jersey. With all due respect I checked the old core return even took new Timming chain and gears off before shipping it had no crank position sensor.. Checked this engine no crank position sensor. Apparantly the 454 engine 91-94 engines 4-bolt mains has no crank position sensor.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Moving the steering wheel will change how the linkage to the ignition switch moves. In different positions the linkage will change length slightly that would effect the movement of the switch.
The main thing for input to the PCM is the crank position sensor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
Did the steering wheel thing when I was experimenting didn't seem to make any change.. Did that again today when I was trying to start it didn't help as far as I know. I remembered someone saying that earlier, maybe you.... I can't believe all the help and ideas I am getting from everyone! Hope to be able to return the favor in the future!!!

SnoopyDP
Explorer
Explorer
I guess my question is what specifically tells the PCM fuel flow for idle and what tells it ff for throttle? I guess MAP, and Throttle Sensor??? is that correct?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds now like a bad ignition switch.
Try moving the tilt steering wheel to a different angel. If it all the way up, move it to the down position.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow