cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump cycling

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
About once a minute on average. Gotta be a leak right? I havent found it yet.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last week my pump would cycle on every hr or so. I checked all the places that have caused problems in the past, city water check valve, PRV in water heater, toilet valves and inlet and outlet for the WH and found no leaks. Finally checked the WP itself to try to adjust the pressure up slightly and noticed a wet fitting after tightening it all was good again. If yours is coming on every minute or so it would be a pretty big leak and should be noticeable. Put toilet paper under all the fittings if you can't physically see them and come back an hr or so later to see if any are wet.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I've had it happen many times over the years. Never has it been an external leak. And never has it failed to correct itself,......sometimes takes a week or more.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
About once a minute on average. Gotta be a leak right? I havent found it yet.

If its a Sureflo, try adjusting the pressure switch up a little. It may be set to close to its threshold.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I finally found mine. Water heater drain on my Atwood is modified.. CPVC to Brass (Plastic to the tank and to a valve( the joint between teh Adapter and the valve was leaking.. Only took me a year to find it :). Tightened that and the dang CPVC pipe sprung a leak. Went to hardware and got a nipple (same as the ones on the inlet/outlet) got 2 different lengths 59 and 69 Cents (Cheaper to get both than to return to hardware) Used the 69 Cent one on the water heater.

Finally got my bathroom re-do done. Needed a short nipple of that too. so I used the 59 cent one as well. New toilet has the original plumbing to where the original valve was. then the nipple and a 1/2 IPT to 3/8 compression right angle cut off valve (common for house toilet installs) then a flex line to the 1/2 IPT fitting on the toilet (Also common in house installs) works great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Over the decades, I've had several pumps develop sticking valves inside. Took them apart, touched the valves (one would always feel sticky) while holding under running water, whatever was causing the sticking washed away and the pump was ok. The fine-mesh screen filters don't catch everything...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Selector is on "city" when it should be set for using water out of the tank? Happens every time DH forgets to change the selector outside.

Straylight
Explorer
Explorer
Check for leaks as indicated, but note that I often find my water pump cycles for a little bit after I turn off the water heater.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
That once per minute run does indicate a leak. Check the back of your toilet around the water valve. They often fail with a drip-drip-drip around that speed.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Leak... also if you have an outside shower faucet, check to make sure that the faucets are turned off. Sometimes the hose will turn turn the faucet on just a tad to cause the water to drip.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Could be an internal leak in the pump and going back into the fresh water tank.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition