Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to look for in purchasing a tow vehicle for my TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What to look for in purchasing a tow vehicle for my TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to go with a 1/2 ton then get load range "E" tires. It may come with passenger tires load range "P". Many 1/2 ton trucks are sold with passenger car tires on them.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any of the half tons will work well, but you do need to get the options for the higher trailer towing and payload.

GM: 5.3L 3.42 axle
Ford 2.7L or 3.5L Ecoboosts with 3.55 axle
Ram 5.7L 3.55 or 3.92 axle

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the great find.

If the future (new) truck's purpose will be primrlily to tow your trailer for recreation, why not look for something that will meet the current requirements and also offer opportunties for future growth in trailer size/weight?

Take a look at trucks in the 3/4 - 1 ton range as well. A bit bigger investment now may help out in the future.

2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd get a half ton, but keep a eye on the payload numbers... they are not all the same.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just traded in my 2011 1500 Silverado 4x4 extended cab for a 2016 2500 GMC Denali 4x4 Extended cab. I pull the trailer in my signature which was 4100 lbs dry weight and is around 5500 loaded as measured across scales.

I can tell you that by the time we loaded it, put a few things in the bed of the truck like coolers and cornhole boards and an extra propane tank for the grill and outdoor stove, we were within a few hundred lbs of the limits of the cargo carrying of the truck. It was important to have the WD hitch zero'ed in properly and even then, there were times in windy conditions, I wish I had more truck. Going up mountains to the Smokies was bounce between 2nd and 3rd gear with earplugs needed when it dropped to 2nd and reved up until it shifted to 3rd. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the 3.73 rear end as I think that would have helped significantly but I have to tell you, I don't even know it's back there in the 2500 now.

If you can swing the extra a 2500 will cost you, I would advise to get it. Much more comfortable towing and lets me load the bed to the brim if I so desire. Wind and semi's passing are non events with the extra weight of the truck. If finances are challenging and you decide to go the 1500 route, I wouldn't get anything but the 3.73.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What to look for in purchasing a tow vehicle for my TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS