Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Triple towing / Dubble Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Triple towing / Dubble Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
LiveToRideBobsHD

Ottawa Lake, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/18 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read many articles on triple towing or double towing whatever you want to call it. Each state call is a little different. All the article that I have been able to find are over two years old. I do know that several states have changed the laws on towing a trailer behind a fifth wheel. ie: I have been told by several FL residents that it is legal to do it know in FL as long as you stay within 5 mils of the interstate system. This is really similar to the commercial laws in FL for semi tractor trailers. So does anyone out there know of any new publication that have been written in 2018 on what the laws are in all the state. I live in Michigan and I know that you can do it here and can be up to 75 feet long. But you have to have a "R" endorsement on your driver's license or have a CDL with a doubles/triples endorsement on it. I am 62.5 feet long.
[image]Please help me !!

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Illegal in New York!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Illegal in British Columbia, Canada. Legal in Alberta so long as: Lead trailer is longer than second trailer; lead is a 5th wheel, length of set up does not exceed 20 meters (65.6 feet); rear hitch on lead trailer is fastened to its frame.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO, but the only way to find out definitely, probably anyway, is to call and talk to the DMV in the state you're concerned with. Relying on anyone's personal knowledge is asking for wrong information at some point. Some states' DMV websites may also have current information, but a real person is the only way to know if the regulations are actually up-to-date.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And when you speak with that person, ask for the specific statute number and/or a link to that statute. And print it out. When pulled over by a local LEO, “‘Frank’ at DMV said I could do that” is not going to mean much.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^^^^Yes! Do that for sure. Excellent advice.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LiveToRideBobsHD wrote:

1. I do know that several states have changed the laws on towing a trailer behind a fifth wheel.

2. I have been told by several FL residents that it is legal to do it know in FL as long as you stay within 5 mils of the interstate system.

3. So does anyone out there know of any new publication that have been written in 2018 on what the laws are in all the state.
!

1. How do you know what you don't know?

2. No change in FL as far as I know. Still illegal.

3. Every state has online access to their statutes. They're not difficult to read. If there were any legitimate publications, their info must come directly from the statutes anyway.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Legal or not, I'm just too big of a chicken to try it.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we do tow triples (3 trailers) and we also tow doubles (2 trailers ) so it makes a difference when you talk with dot folks.
Opinions can go like this;..First member said his state towed doubles. 2nd member from that state called dot folks and ask if triple towing was allowed...and of course the officers said no. So #2 reported his state dot guys says no triple towing. 1st guy says to call back and ask about towing doubles. Dot says yeah you can tow doubles. So it makes a difference how you ask the question.

Having towed commercially I found better info by contacting a state troop hdq and ask those guys. You can get their land line numbers with a google. The dispatch usually had some one call back with a answer.
I also wouldn't try and interpret a code. Just ask how or what will be enforced. One thing you don't do is argue with enforcement folks how you think the code reads.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In FL ONLY commercial vehicles may double tow, and only on the turnpike and interstate roads. Their are several assembly locations along the turnpike and interstate roads for the commercial drivers to pick up a second trailer or drop off their second trailer. They may not double tow on local or state roads. Just because you see someone double towing doesn't mean it's legal. Your rig may not exceed 65 feet in total length.

FL statue 316.515(3)

"Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads."

* This post was edited 07/22/18 08:24pm by miltvill *

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Triple towing / Dubble Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS