Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Triple towing / Dubble Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Triple towing / Dubble Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
packnrat

soon to be the state of Jefferson U S A

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well i guess my 38 years of commercial driving, over 45 years of driving for pay. says i know nothing.
sure i do not know everything. as i have tried to limit myself to just the western states. guess florida just wants to hurt company's.
but with all the major less than truck load trucking company's pulling doubles (triples in some states), i do not see how or why a single state would ban them.
but yes there are places long trucks, and doubles just should not be. like downtown new york city, etc.
in my decades the only places where i see a "ban" is for long trucks, on narrow twisty roads, but that includes buses and large rv's.
seasonal over mt passes,(ice/snow) or high wind areas (all trucks, buses, rv's) but these last two are temp deals do to conditions.
in talking with a number of dot officials (yes the ones who write the tickets) and reg street leos, i only know what i know.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packnrat wrote:

well i guess my 38 years of commercial driving, over 45 years of driving for pay. says i know nothing.

Usual truck driver stories about what the law is and what the state can't do. I could write a book on all the truck drivers telling me what they 'know' the law is. None of them have ever read a single statute and wouldn't know where to go to find a particular statute. But they come up with lame stories about the feds control all interstates, the laws apply nationwide no matter what a state says, etc, etc. Heard them all many times over.

Quote:

but with all the major less than truck load trucking company's pulling doubles (triples in some states), i do not see how or why a single state would ban them.

States have that authority to do so, regardless what a driver thinks the law is or should be. State's rights.

Quote:

in talking with a number of dot officials (yes the ones who write the tickets) and reg street leos, i only know what i know.

You may know what you know, which is driving a truck down the road, but it isn't about truck law.
I was 1 of 2 of the first FMCSA certified officers in the state. I wrote a lot of tickets to a lot truck drivers who thought they knew the law. Obviously they didn't.
They talked a good story tho. Got their legal education from the CB radio and truck stop parking lots talking to other truckers who were equally uneducated in the law. Before spouting what you 'know' it's best to know the law first. And that takes a whole lot more training and education than just pulling a trailer down a road no matter how many years a person has done it.
By giving bad advice, or what you think the law is or the way you think it should be, doesn't help anyone who has a legit question. Being a truck driver sure doesn't make a person knowledgeable in the law. It only makes them a truck driver.

* This post was last edited 04/25/19 05:35pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Camped in every state

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only know my states rv rules. Here in Texas rv'ers can dbl tow up to 65 ft with no special endorsement and no matter what , if your rv/ truck combo or MH goes over 26000lbs GVWR you need a class A or B NON-COMMERCIAL license.
I don't double tow so I don't worry about what other states rules are because I should be compliant length wise. Never a problem but my trips have all been only as Far East as the Applacians & the Front Range to the west, Indiana to the nort

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Triple towing / Dubble Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.