Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: TERRIFIED of heights, narrow roads with drop-offs, etc.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> TERRIFIED of heights, narrow roads with drop-offs, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
jenhere

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

This is my first post to RV.NET and I'm happy to be here! We are new full timers and I have a route question.

We are staying in Victor Idaho while visiting Grand Teton Park. I am hoping for a better route to get to the park and Jackson than the Teton Pass.

In our two months of traveling, I've had more than one panic attack when traveling through some tight , high areas. Sometimes in our Class A, sometimes in our Jeep while traveling. This is a new issue for me. Being from a flat part of the East, I had no idea I even had a phobia this bad until we got to some areas in South Dakota. I thought I would just grin and bear it over the pass, but after having a horrible hour going over the Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone yesterday, I'd like to not put my family through that again.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Love seeing this beautiful country, just going to have to be careful how I do it. (And see it from below, not above!) [emoticon]

Thank you!

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/18 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, are you doing the driving, or are you a passenger?

jenhere

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passenger

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but you're going to miss a lot of gorgeous views, Unless of course you can conquer your fear.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

jenhere

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Sorry, but you're going to miss a lot of gorgeous views, Unless of course you can conquer your fear.

I understand that, but you obviously don't suffer from a legit phobia or know someone who does. You can't just "conquer your fear." It doesn't work that way. That may be for someone who has never done something but is scared to try it. I've spoken to my doctor. Doing it over and over can make it worse, not better. It depends on each person and situation.

Someone can live a wonderful life, visit many places and enjoy things while still missing out on "some gorgeous views". It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Again, any practical advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum. The Mountain Directory-West will provide info on high passes and routes. But it is impossible to avoid them all. Mandal wasn’t trying to be mean, just honest. My CEO Navigator used to lay down on the seat and cry on high scary routes. But she insisted we keep going and after a few years got over the fear.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jen, you are not alone -- I have driven with folks who have the same fear. And my wife has a similar fear when we are hiking on the edge of a cliff.

Other than planning a flatter route, you can do what my wife does when we are in a cliffy spot -- look down, look to the side, anything but looking at the edge. I assume you've tried that, right??

And welcome to the forum -- please disregard the folks who (for some unknown reason) like to say discouraging things. Some of the folks who participate on this site will provide you with useful info. Some won't.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a fan of them much myself and i take great care not to end up on roads that i will regret especially while towing (when not towing i have been on some pretty sketchy roads but never really enjoyed it.) If sticking to the major roads for the most part i have found it not to be so bad and the parts that are bad are only short. Look at google maps, if you zoom in and see tons of switch backs find a another way. I go super slow and all the locals in CO probably cant stand me but it is what it is. You could always hop in the back seat put some blinders on along with ear plugs or get some Valium, i had it once and i really didn't care about much after taking it. Its a love hate relationship for me but i do love the mountains. Over time maybe it will get easier. If I'm in an area for a while at first the road might freak me out a bit but after driving it a bunch i find it does not bother me much. Good luck

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jenhere wrote:

Hi all,

This is my first post to RV.NET and I'm happy to be here! We are new full timers and I have a route question.

We are staying in Victor Idaho while visiting Grand Teton Park. I am hoping for a better route to get to the park and Jackson than the Teton Pass.

In our two months of traveling, I've had more than one panic attack when traveling through some tight , high areas. Sometimes in our Class A, sometimes in our Jeep while traveling. This is a new issue for me. Being from a flat part of the East, I had no idea I even had a phobia this bad until we got to some areas in South Dakota. I thought I would just grin and bear it over the pass, but after having a horrible hour going over the Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone yesterday, I'd like to not put my family through that again.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Love seeing this beautiful country, just going to have to be careful how I do it. (And see it from below, not above!) [emoticon]

Thank you!

Advice;

Look for I's

Follow the Rivers and Streams, they are usually at the Low Point.

Talk to Locals before you go out into the Rockies.

Stay Near the Coast.

As a Passenger you might want to start "Happy Hour" a little Early.

Get on The forums for directions and help you are not alone.

Other than those few I'm done, as I Love the Rocks and search out the Back Roads to drive on........

But most of these suggestions work.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember facing such fears when growing up. I have learned to deal with it. Still would make me sick to look over the edge of Half Dome but roads no longer have the concern for me. I do hope more experience will be able to calm your nerves.

Until then try this:

https://www.flattestroute.com/

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> TERRIFIED of heights, narrow roads with drop-offs, etc.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS