Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Just Curious
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Just Curious

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

My thought is that it is all about money. When they can stack considerably more vehicles just a few feet apart, run them full speed, monitor all of their miles and charge tolls accordingly, then you will know the true reason for this nonsense.
Nonsense? You would equate fewer accidents, fewer fatalities, less lost time, as "Nonsense"? Remove the human element from the driving equation, and you'll have as a result all of the above.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campin[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading the different responses which I appreciate let me know I am not completely alone. However I still think that our future drivers over time will lose the ability to safely drive without some type of automation. Even today a lot of the younger generation have trouble with a clutch and manual shift let alone explaining an H pattern shift sequence to them.

And like one poster stated I do enjoy the drive and especially backing a 40 foot fiver into a site a little too small. Do that with a knob on the dash!!

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love driving. I hate commuting. My daily driver is a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Basic Cruise Control and no other safety tech type items. Commuting with it is not the most pleasant of experiences, but I love my Jeep and would not trade it for the world.

DW has a 2017 Pacifica Mini Van with every toy imaginable. I've taken the van to work a few times and find for commuting, it is amazingly competent!

Adaptive Cruise Control is fantastic. I can drive the entire 40mi in rush hour traffic and never touch the gas or brake pedals. Blind Spot monitoring is extremely helpful, especially in a large vehicle.

Once she tried the self parallel parking feature, she swore she'd never have a vehicle without that again. It works surprisingly well!

Do I want a 100% self driving car? No, not for every day use, but for commuting, it does have some advantages!

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

Reading the different responses which I appreciate let me know I am not completely alone. However I still think that our future drivers over time will lose the ability to safely drive without some type of automation. Even today a lot of the younger generation have trouble with a clutch and manual shift let alone explaining an H pattern shift sequence to them.

The only problem that I can see is that you're assuming that the drivers now can drive safely. You know what they say about assume. Sorry, but I don't see it. Drivers are, on the whole, pretty horrible. Automated driving can't come too soon. Driving is a chore, unlike riding a motorcycle.

Like Dave Barry says: "“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

And mistakenly so in most instances.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

My thought is that it is all about money. When they can stack considerably more vehicles just a few feet apart, run them full speed, monitor all of their miles and charge tolls accordingly, then you will know the true reason for this nonsense.
Nonsense? You would equate fewer accidents, fewer fatalities, less lost time, as "Nonsense"? Remove the human element from the driving equation, and you'll have as a result all of the above.

So you know that will be the case? I can see this silliness only being implemented on major highways and toll roads. Will your car ask you if you want fries with that at the drive thru? I'm still waiting on a practical flying car that was predicted when I was a kid.

Jeffe

Greenbrier Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Ford Taurus with adaptive cruise control, you set the speed and the gap you want to the car/truck in front of you and all you have to do steer and be alert. If you come up behind a slower vehicle the car slows down, when you move to another lane it will speed back up.

On long interstate drives, it decreases the work load, you get less tired and it's probably safer than managing it yourself.

That being said, I'm not ready for self-driving cars and I don't want to loose complete control.

I wish my Ford 150 had adaptive cruise control.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

So you know that will be the case? I can see this silliness only being implemented on major highways and toll roads. Will your car ask you if you want fries with that at the drive thru? I'm still waiting on a practical flying car that was predicted when I was a kid.
Do I "know" that will be the case? Of course not, but I do "know" that if you take people out of the diving equation the result will be safer highways.

Hammerhead

North of Normal

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 50 years old and have driven a car with manual transmission maybe 5 times. I drove my sister's car a few times back in the late 80s and about 10 years ago I drove someone's car who was too drunk to drive home. My dad sold his last car with a manual transmission when I was about 8 years old.

[email protected] wrote:

And like one poster stated I do enjoy the drive and especially backing a 40 foot fiver into a site a little too small. Do that with a knob on the dash!!

dirtyhandz

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/18 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always said if you want to make driving safer they need to stop with the air bags and replace them with a giant spike that comes out of the steering wheel and goes rite through your head if you hit something. A little incentive to pay attention and stop texting.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yet.. We have the curious case of the UBER autonomous car which ran over the pedestrian.

Now it appears this was indeed HUMAN area (Programmers goofed) but. I've seen memory errors. Fried transistor errors. and all sorth of other errors caused by faulty hardware or a power glitch.

So.. I'm not ready to turn the wheel over to R.Daniel Overlaw just yet.

(Now if you know who that is... Well read you are).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Just Curious
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS